Looking for advice on topbox & rack for 2015+ - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Looking for advice on topbox & rack for 2015+

I'm purchasing a 2015 Versys 650 LT tomorrow (yay). I'll want a top case and I'm trying to sort out the options. I'd like to save a little $$$ and not go the OEM route.

Has anyone used the SR4114 brackets? They are only about $30 bucks, that's almost $175 less than the Kawasaki rack. I read somewhere (forums) that the SR4114 is chrome, but I've never seen that from an official source. I seriously doubt that it is chrome. Maybe polished aluminum or steel. I'd be fine with that, it will be covered by topcase or at least the mounting plate most of the time.

I believe i have a Givi plate left over from a previous bike, so I wouldn't need to buy one. I would probably get a Givi V47 from Italy, then order the Kawasaki One Key System (99994-0528), would that work?

I did find this
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
The OEM bracket is much nicer than Givi's somewhat generic-looking SR4114. It looks like an extension of the passenger's rails. ...
I with I could find a picture so I could see for myself.

Last edited by zirconx; 06-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Never mind I did find an official source saying it is a chrome rack. That is really odd that they would make a chrome rack for this bike.
Givi SR4114 Rear Carrier Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 on

I can't believe how expensive the Kawasaki rear case is. It looks like after I add everything up it's around $900?! The rack, the plate, the case, the trim set, and the key system.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I'm purchasing a 2015 Versys 650 LT tomorrow (yay). I'll want a top case and I'm trying to sort out the options. I'd like to save a little $$$ and not go the OEM route.

Has anyone used the SR4114 brackets? They are only about $30 bucks, that's almost $175 less than the Kawasaki rack. I read somewhere (forums) that the SR4114 is chrome, but I've never seen that from an official source. I seriously doubt that it is chrome. Maybe polished aluminum or steel. I'd be fine with that, it will be covered by topcase or at least the mounting plate most of the time.

I believe i have a Givi plate left over from a previous bike, so I wouldn't need to buy one. I would probably get a Givi V47 from Italy, then order the Kawasaki One Key System (99994-0528), would that work?

I did find this

I just put the Givi rack and boxes on my bike. I noticed that the description of the SR4114 says chrome, but mine is actually black, not chrome. Maybe the finish changed at some point.
zirconx likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:01 PM

I actually just ordered this on weds from revzilla. Its due to arrive next weds. Ill let you know what color it is. Was an easy choice to get this rack as I have a givi e45 case from an old bike i can throw on with a monokey plate. So with this rack and the m7 plate minus my 80 store credit i had at revzilla, ended up being 10 out of pocket for me.
zirconx likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsbug View Post
I just put the Givi rack and boxes on my bike. I noticed that the description of the SR4114 says chrome, but mine is actually black, not chrome. Maybe the finish changed at some point.
That's excellent information, thank you.

I will plan on getting a SR4114 and an M7 plate for it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:17 PM

I bought the SW-Motech Metal Rear Rack and the EVO Side Racks. Installed a Pelican 1500 box on the rear and bought a pair of Caribou Commando Bags for the sides. The only thing with installation of the Commando Bags is you need about 3/8" spacer on the top locking mechanism to make it work...not a deal breaker. I use the Pelican for all tools, pump, first aid kit and other odds-n-ends and the Commando Bags for everything else. At 35 litres each, lots of space.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0119.jpg (37.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0118.jpg (56.3 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0117.jpg (51.7 KB, 247 views)

2015 Versys 650
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Does this help?
That looks really good, but I think that is the Kawasaki rack & plate? I'm wondering what the Givi SR4114 looks like. I ordered one but it won't be here for a while. I paid $20, vs the Kawasaki rack that is $200. Crazy.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
You can see pictures of my whole setup here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1168825

I don't have any pictures without the top case, but it looks like someone already posted some pictures with the top case removed
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 AM

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureCore View Post
Wow that looks good! I can't believe this rack is $30 vs the $200 for the Kawasaki one. Crazy that Givi messed up the description and said it is chrome.

Last edited by zirconx; 06-29-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM

Yeah its a good looking rack, very sturdy too. Should be able to support a ton of weight if you needed to strap things down on it. Just happy to have the top rack, now can take off the side bags when going to work into manhattan.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Garage
The dealer I just purchased my 2016 LT from priced up all the items i would need for the top box including the rack and backrest pad and it came in about $800. But they said since I bought the bike from them they'd sell it to me for $640, which doesn't seem too bad. So this weekend I'm going to price out a Givi and Shad and see which route I should go.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't do it !

It'll look like a scooter !!!

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
The dealer I just purchased my 2016 LT from priced up all the items i would need for the top box including the rack and backrest pad and it came in about $800. But they said since I bought the bike from them they'd sell it to me for $640, which doesn't seem too bad. So this weekend I'm going to price out a Givi and Shad and see which route I should go.
You can order everything you need from Italy for less than $300. Maybe even closer to $250 if you have a discount code. It's crazy. My stuff is on the way, when I get around to mounting it I'll post some pictures.
james75 likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Don't do it !

It'll look like a scooter !!!

Or what, he'll look like a Hells Angel without one?
_Big_Mac_ likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
You can order everything you need from Italy for less than $300. Maybe even closer to $250 if you have a discount code. It's crazy. My stuff is on the way, when I get around to mounting it I'll post some pictures.
I also ordered everything from Motostorm. I estimated that I saved about $800 on my entire luggage setup.

I did have one problem due to a box being heavily damaged and some parts missing. I thought this would be a huge hassle due to the over seas shipping, but Motostorm straightened out the situation very quickly.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Garage
Let me know how the order from MotoStrom goes. Their prices are much better than anywhere I can find in the US, even with the little higher shipping charge. I'm just a little nervous about ordering from them, and also wonder how long it will take to receive an order from them.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
I did more research on MotoStorm and it seems like they get pretty good ratings, so I went ahead and placed my order. I ordered the Givi V47 top case with the backrest pad, mounting plate, and LED light kit all for right around $300. I placed my order yesterday afternoon (Sunday), and I got an email this morning that my order will ship today, with an expected delivery date of next Monday. I think that's pretty good. I also found out that the Kawasaki top case is made by Givi, and is identical to the V47.

I ordered the Kawasaki rear rack from my dealer though (for a discount since I just bought the bike there). I would like to rig up some kind of rack on the back to be able to carry my bicycle as well, and the OEM rack seems much more robust than the Givi one.

I'll post up pics when I get it all on the bike.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I ordered the Kawasaki rear rack from my dealer though (for a discount since I just bought the bike there). I would like to rig up some kind of rack on the back to be able to carry my bicycle as well, and the OEM rack seems much more robust than the Givi one.

I'll post up pics when I get it all on the bike.

I can attest that the OEM rack is sturdy - I loaded up 35lb of watermelon yesterday and it handled it just fine. I bought them because the color matched my bike so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160627_213503.jpg (55.8 KB, 201 views)
raverson and james75 like this.

Last edited by Green Streak; 07-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode