Mileage above 5K RPMs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Mileage above 5K RPMs

I just got back from a nearly 2000 mile trip into Canada and Alaska and while I was running 5 thousand RPM's or higher (70+MPH) my mileage dropped significantly........... I usually get in the mid 40's and it dropped to 38-39ish. Wh else has experienced this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I get around 50 mpg at a little over 5k, 70 mph w/16T front.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:27 AM

milage drops significantly after 60, 65, 70 etc.

gearing is a factor but its mostly from wind resistance going up exponentially after 60mph

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Seems like most anything I do with my bike I get a consistent 50-53mpg, riding hard in the mountains might get a bit less but hardly noticeable.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

I get on average low to mid 40s humming along on the interstate.. On Back roads around here I can get upper 40s,rarely do I cross into the 50s but it does happen. For reference, this is worse than the Buell which had 35 more HP and 550 cc'c on the Versys and dead even with the KTM 1190 I own.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
sounds right, your running the motor at a higher RPM (burning more fuel) and the faster you go the more wind resistance you have
my2wheels and TRZ Charlie like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maybe the bike needs a tune up, or the filter is choking the engine, or the fuel has more Ethanol than usual, or you've put on weight or carry extra luggage or the weather was windy or............................
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 AM

I'm lucky to see 45mpg average on a tank, lots of slab in lots of mountains.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 AM

Are y'all correcting for gearing changes? I'm running 16T front which puts the bike odo about 7% short.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I'm lucky to see 45mpg average on a tank, lots of slab in lots of mountains.
As someone who was born and raised in WV, poor mileage is a small price to pay to ride some of the best roads and most beautiful scenery in the country.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was pretty loaded down and fighting cross winds quite often. I am also running a 15/45 sprocket combo, by most accounts puts the speedo close to dead on.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I was pretty loaded down and fighting cross winds quite often. I am also running a 15/45 sprocket combo, by most accounts puts the speedo close to dead on.
It puts the speedo on and the odo off. The odo is reading less miles than you are actually traveling meaning your fuel consumption is actually better.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
As someone who was born and raised in WV, poor mileage is a small price to pay to ride some of the best roads and most beautiful scenery in the country.
Alllllllmost true, there are a lot of great roads here...but infrastructure is so bad in lots of places that stuff can be pretty dangerous. Eager for my new tires, and now that the bike is lowered I'm a lot more secure at low speed, so happier on dirt and marbles.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM

I'm averaging 49 mpg when riding on the slab and in the mid to high 50s when I'm riding twisties at slower speeds.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"I usually get in the mid 40's and it dropped to 38-39ish."

First, yes your odo is off, but in comparing previous mpg to trip mpg that makes the odo difference pretty much a wash. That said, a decrease of 15 percent while operating at higher RPM consistently, in wind, fully loaded I think that decrease is to be expected and I am surprised (a little) your mpg did not drop more. Also, who knows what quality of gas you got well out in the "backcountry". Unless the decrease in mpg continues when you are back to your normal routine, I would not worry about the bike needing any checks/adjustments.
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good point cj. That's what I'm thinking too. And it's a small price to pay for the enjoyment factor. Besides the motor seems to LOVE running a 5-5500 RPMs for hours at a whack. And quite frankly so do I. Ride on I guess.

2011 ADVersys

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Jeff - I just got home (Weds), and after 8,730 kms, 5,425 miles, USUALLY at the same rev-range as you, MY average was 53.5 mpgUS, and you saw how the GREEN HORNET TOO was loaded. Watch for a "Members Rides".

BTW - MANY thanks to you and your lovely wife for the hospitality!

-

Oh yah - and MY bike wasn't on it's side in the mud....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:02 PM

Garage
^^ pretty good mileage there

I don't think I'm in that range. First tank looks like about low 40s.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Last tank I got 53.7mpg, haven't seen less than 51 with this bike and I don't try to conserve gas but also generally not loaded down (plus I'm a pretty small guy ~135lbs). Most my rides are in the mountain twisties and if on one of the highways here it's 80-90mph to keep up with cars.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
wow i guess im just way to lively with the throttle because ive yet to hit 50mpg, my best has been 49 and my ave is 45 according to fuelly (tho i do also live in the city and about 80% of my riding is surface streets with tons of stop signs and lights

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode