First Weekend Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First Weekend Ride

Just got back from my first weekend trip. Left with 800km of experience under my belt and put 1200KM on in 3 days. It was an absolute BLAST!.

Had 1 mishap, dropped the bike turning around on dirt at 2-4km/h... Slipped right out from under me, probably turning a bit too sharply and let out the clutch at the wrong time. Crash bar saved the bike from any damage.

Otherwise had an amazing time. Had a couple friends on a zzr 600 and a voyager 12 along for the cruise. All linked up on the intercom, guy in front scouting and warning me about bumps, gravel etc... Got to see a lot of the St John river and the Bay of Fundy, its absolutely beautiful here, and so much fun to see on a bike.

Couple questions for you guys though:

1. This bike is BUZZY as hell. What are common things people do to cut down on things buzzing/vibrating. I get the bike will have some vibration due to the twin motor/engine mounts, but would like to get rid of the sound of things vibrating against each other.

2. This bike doesn't really like being <4k RPMs. The motor is noticeably more stuttery. I found myself cruising in 4th a lot of the time to keep the bike smoother. I don't know if the coil packs were replaced (2008 versys) although the spark plugs are supposed to be fairly new. I'm hoping to check those out and do the vacuum port mod over the winter.

3. I had a weird loss of power once. Just went through a section of stop and go traffic in ~30 degree heat, hit the on-ramp and tried to accelerate onto the highway. Suddenly lost power, then surged again on its own. I rolled off the throttle then tried to give it another shot and it died a few seconds later again. I pulled off the road, restarted the bike and gave it a few shots of throttle. Never happened again. Could that be a fuel injection/mapping issue? Bad gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
For questions 1 and 2 the answers have been discussed more times than I can count, there are tons of threads about them.

Not sure on 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess I should have phrased my question as "is there a recommended starting point, list of 'most common' fixes, or a mega thread that compiles the various fixes for vibrations and engine stutter or is the search tool my best option". I do intent to read through the various sticky threads, i'm embarrassingly short on time and impatient to spend that riding.

I've got it on the rear lift and found a jump in the chain. That explains the increased vibration I was feeling in the bike and slower speeds I think. On closer inspection the chain threw 2 o-rings. I cleaned and well lubricated it before my trip, and lubed/re-checked mid-way through. Either my lubrication method is insufficient or its just a matter of wear and tear. The bike is about to cross 40,000km.

Shopping for a new chain. Anyone willing to help a guy save some time and point out some good options/threads?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
buzz: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d-culprit.html
Engine: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-4000-rpm.html
TPS: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After some more looking last night, I'm completely convinced the extra vibration I was feeling <4.5k RPM was the chain. I've started making a list of the various buzz fixes, but I might just suck it up until Winter.

I am going to replace the chain, and I might as well do the sprockets while I'm at it and I can keep the existing sprockets as spares. Here is my current parts list:

Sunstar 15T front sprocket: https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/sun...15t-32515.html
JT Rear Sprocket 46T 520: https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/jt-...jtr478-46.html
DID 520 VX2 Pro Street X-Ring chain 114 link: https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/did...ing-chain.html

If anyone has recommendations on better parts I'd love to hear them. I'm sticking with stock gearing for now.

I've heard the stock front sprocket is rubber damped but all aftermarket ones are not. Does that make a significant difference? It looks like the JT front and rear sprockets are on the bike now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode