• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up how to connect topbox taillights

I have a Givi topcase with brakelights and turn signals that I am trying to hook up. The connector has only two wires. How do I wire them to my 2009 Versys 650? What color wire am I looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMartinUSA View Post
I have a Givi topcase with brakelights and turn signals that I am trying to hook up. The connector has only two wires. How do I wire them to my 2009 Versys 650? What color wire am I looking for?

I had a 2009....
Heres all i know about the wires. I used the tail light wire to tap into for my switched juice for my Garmin Zumo......

Red Wire is Tail Light

Blue Wire is Brake Light

Green Wire is Right Turn Signal

Yellow Wire is Left Turn Signal

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You can't have brake lights and turn signals with only two wires. That would require at least 4 wires (ground, brake, left-turn, right-turn). And one more if you had a tail light. Do you mean you have a 2-wire connector for each of the turn signals and the brake light? (three 2-wire connectors)

If you have a link or some pictures of what you have we might be able to help more.
SteveMartinUSA likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you have the Givi light kit with quick disconnects, it is only designed to run brake lights. I have mine as running/brake lights by using a pair of diodes and a resistor, which convert three wire to two wire. The only way to get turn/running/brake would be with an additional controller, and you would have to figure out someway to add a common ground.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys, thank you very much for the great advice. I have confirmed the Givi z880 wiring harness has only two wires, and is only for brakes.

The installation instructions for the Givi products seem to be pretty weak, but I got this from [email protected]:

The Z880, and GIVI’s brake light kit, only work as a brake light. If you wish the turn signals to work as well, you might look a company called Ad-more Lighting which has a kit for the E55 but does not use the Z880.

So the $139 kit from Ad-more Lighting adds turn signals to the Givi E55 topcase, and has SIX WIRES:
E55 Top Case - LED Kit (TS)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Hey guys, thank you very much for the great advice. I have confirmed the Givi z880 wiring harness has only two wires, and is only for brakes.

The installation instructions for the Givi products seem to be pretty weak, but I got this from [email protected]:

The Z880, and GIVI’s brake light kit, only work as a brake light. If you wish the turn signals to work as well, you might look a company called Ad-more Lighting which has a kit for the E55 but does not use the Z880.

So the $139 kit from Ad-more Lighting adds turn signals to the Givi E55 topcase, and has SIX WIRES:
E55 Top Case - LED Kit (TS)

I have the Admore Light Kit for my E-55 and also have the Admore Light Bar. If i had to only have one i would choose the light bar.

Heres the info on the light bar which is the same for the light kit...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so the light bar goes above the license plate? It looks like it would really help visibility.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
so the light bar goes above the license plate? It looks like it would really help visibility.

At first i had the light bar connect under the Givi Rack then moved it to the license plate. Did the same placement on my FJR...Photos below. In the 4th photo you want to pull the light bar out some so it doesn't block the license plate light from shining on the plate. I have the Large light bar on the Versys and FJR. They make a smaller one also

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-21-2016 at 11:46 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
These guys should hire you to do their advertising. Pretty sweet. And that's quite a nice ride too. The light bar is like police car flashing on a dark highway. It really draws your attention. How do you think that compares to AdMore LED55-T-TS Light Kit (for the Givi E55)?

Last edited by SteveMartinUSA; 06-21-2016 at 11:09 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
These guys should hire you to do their advertising. Pretty sweet. And that's quite a nice ride too. The light bar is like police car flashing on a dark highway. It really draws your attention. How do you think that compares to AdMore LED55-T-TS Light Kit (for the Givi E55)?
Heres an old video of my Versys with the Admore Light Kit in my Givi E-55 Top Case and an Admore Light Bar mounted under the Givi Top Case Rack...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Your setup looks great. Would you recommend the normal sized light bar or the large? Smoked or clear?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Your setup looks great. Would you recommend the normal sized light bar or the large? Smoked or clear?

I've always used the Large Light Bar and have been happy with it. Being larger it should get noticed more or at least thats what i hope.

When i ordered for the FJR I ordered a smoke cover but got clear. Kinda glad they sent the clear should be easier to see.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, my lightbar arrived in the mail and I looked at your video again. What did you mount the bar on? It just says it's under the topcase rack, but it's hard to see in the video. Do you have a daytime picture of your mount that you could post? Thank you very much.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
OK, my lightbar arrived in the mail and I looked at your video again. What did you mount the bar on? It just says it's under the topcase rack, but it's hard to see in the video. Do you have a daytime picture of your mount that you could post? Thank you very much.

Don't have any old photos of it mounted under the topcase. It's attached to a couple of the bolts on the Givi Rack mount plate. I didn't care for this position because it blocked some of the stock back brake light. I like it attached at the license plate as you can see in the above photos for the Versys and FJR.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, the topcase frame bolts seem like a decent place to connect but it will partially block the stock brake light, and the E55 topcase will partially block the view from above too. I'm heading to Home Depot to see if I can rig an angle-iron type solution to drop it down a few inches, in hopes there won't be any blockages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
givi, lights, topcase, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode