Chain Type Replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Chain Type Replacement

In another thread I was surprised to see a poster recommend an X-Ring chain for replacement. Please educated this non-technical guy-what is the difference between an X-Ring and O-Ring chain? Any huge pros/cons for either one?? Thanks for the help.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
O-ring chain uses O-rings with an O cross-section. X-ring chain uses O-rings with an X cross-section. X is supposed to be superior. I use D.I.D. X-ring chains so they must be good.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had an X ring on my KLR for awhile.

It was distressing to watch the little X legs fall off upon inspection and lube maint. Well, till I thought they was all gone and I went back to O ring chains.

I clean my chains with kerosene.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
D.I.D’s PATENTED X-Ring construction reduces friction by twisting between the side plates instead of being squashed. Normal O-Rings and other makers’ modified O-Rings have squashed points that increase friction. The twisting action of the X-Ring disperses the pressure and minimizes power loss.

The X-Ring’s four contact points greatly increase its sealing performance. This keeps the dirt out and the lubrication in much better than any other O-Ring. X-Rings have the greatest wear resistance of any other type of O-Ring or Non-O-Ring chain.

See diagrams: D.I.D. X-RING STREET CHAINS

O Ring and X Ring Chains Motorcycle Chains Technical Help Bike Torque Racing
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, the X-ring is just a DID-patented thing. It's pretty much the same idea, marketed with the advantages invader listed above.

I like DID chains, I've also had good experiences with RK chains.

X or O, the idea is that they have a seal keeping in lubricant. Much longer lasting than a non-O ring chain, which I'd never use. Maybe on a dirtbike....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode