Custom/Stock OE Highway Pegs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Naitramde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Custom/Stock OE Highway Pegs

I really wanted to mount highway pegs to my SW-Motech crash bars. The problem was the only pegs that I liked were too expensive or wouldn't work the way I wanted. I mean with all the accessories out there you would think that I could find something. I bought a set of cheap pegs from Heeters.com. I kept looking at them, trying this and that but wasn't happy with anything. And I really didn't like the look of them anyway.

Then I had an epiphany, the passenger pegs on my bike go completely unused. There were 3 things the passenger pegs had over all the other pegs on the market... 1. They match the rider pegs. 2. They have a compact simple mechanism for folding away. 3. They were available at no cost, free shipping. Oh, 4 things... they pop right off with a small screwdriver.

With my rusty trusty digital calipers I got to work. I made some quick sketches and scribbles. Using a few common grinders, cutters and a rather nice welder from work...Viola! (I'm paraphrasing, it took a few hours of tinkering to get the right combination metal and how to recreate the factory peg mounts so the folding operation worked correctly).

Then for mounting I purchased 2 sets of Bike Master's Extra Upper Clamp (M6) for about $20 apiece. The lower bar on the crash bars is 7/8" (approx 23mm) so mounting the clamps back to back worked perfectly. An added bonus was I didn't need to modify the crash bars in any way. This is great if I ever want to move or remove the pegs, there should be no unsightlyness to the bars. Went to my local fastener store and bought some Stainless Steel hardware. The best idea was to use the shoulder bolts (8mm shoulder, 6mm thread) but it took some 'precise calculation' (and guess work) trying to figure out where to cut the shoulder bolts and not be too long or too short. After that was figured out, mounting was relatively easy.

The Bike Master clamps came with hardware but it wasn't long enough so I used longer SS M8 cap screws with nylon lock nuts for the clamping action. For installing the new brackets I made, I had to drill out the M6 threads on the clamps to 8mm. Added washers between the clamps so when I tightened the shoulder bolt it wouldn't over stress the aluminum clamps. Now I have a great mounting system that is fully adjustable. These mount to any of the lower crash bars, at any angle. And they are sturdy. I haven't stood on them with all my 250# but they don't move.

The factory pegs have nice anti-vibration built in. They are angled just right to fully meet the sole of my boot and fold away in a good position. And they look as if like they are a factory part of the bike (because they are). Best of all, now I can stretch my legs out on those boring parts of the ride.

Just thought I would put this out there for everyone's information, enjoyment and possibly amusement.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw peg mounts.jpg (81.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg raw peg closed.jpg (81.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg raw peg open.jpg (72.4 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg upper clamp.jpg (24.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20160530_100728062.jpg (65.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20160530_100909899.jpg (76.2 KB, 132 views)

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Hey man. If you say wanted to build another one of these, and send it my way... What would that cost me?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Garage
You my friend, are a genius

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
You my friend, are a genius

Ed

2011 Versys 650

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danibalagan View Post
Hey man. If you say wanted to build another one of these, and send it my way... What would that cost me?
If your serious, then I think I would point you to look for a local fab shop. They were fairly easy to fab but really not something for me to repeat. Each side is slightly custom to make up for irregularities in my welding. I cant imagine that it would cost over $75 - 100 for a shop with the right tools.

If you do find a place that can produce them have them make extra, you could probably sell them.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Garage
Are your brackets the same internal width as the stock Mounting brackets?

I'm curious if we wouldn't be able to find something on the internet that would be a close fit, and therefore we would not have to fab the bracket itself.

I found this with just a little bit of digging:

Rear Hinge Bracket for phd OCG13/4 air cylinder (am-3307)

Anybody care to figure out the inside diameter that we need?

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I just took measurements from the bracket on my V.
Here is a couple of Sketchup pics I drew. Hopefully the dimensions are visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20160620_182536992.jpg (26.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20160620_180546648.jpg (38.6 KB, 50 views)

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Last edited by Naitramde; 06-20-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode