Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By waynesworld
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 2 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2009 or 2015 plus or something in between?

Hi. I own a 2014 Triumph Bonneville. While I really love the bike, I also want something more versatile, with luggage, fairing and such, but that I also enjoy riding. This brings me to the Versys. I was looking at a Versys when I got a great deal on the Bonne, and I think I still want one.

I like the reviews and the changes made to the 2015 plus bikes a lot, and the looks. I also like the looks of the others with the stacked headlights. I just like then in a different way.

It seems that nearly all the ones I see for sale locally are 2008 or 2009. I have no idea why that is. I occasionally see a Gen 2 Versys for sale, but they are usually nearly as expensive (or more so) than the super low winter pricing that I saw last winter on the 2015 models, which was as low as 5k (before dealer fees).

So I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2008 / 2009 for between 3k and 4k (which is where they tend to be) or to do something else. I have the Bonne, so there is no rush to get a bike.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM

I picked up my 2009 early this spring and I haven't regretted it once. Very versatile bike and very fun to ride.

I would go with whatever fits your budget. From what I have read on here, there isn't a bad Versys to be had.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
You don't say where you are, so no idea if those are good prices.

if I still had mine, I would consider trading for that Bonnie. Love them.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've owned a version 1 and now a version 2. Main difference is cosmetic. Version 2 slightly smoother shifting and minutly improved vibration isolation. Biggest improvement is from version 2 to version 3 that adds ABS and revamped suspension as well as minute improvements in vibration control.

The version 1 looks much better with a BMW style VStream windshield IMO

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 06-14-2016 at 09:14 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the location. I'll have to update my profile. I'm in central Ohio.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward the cheaper route also. I really like those 2015 models, but I don't need that, and it would save me some money toward my Speed Triple goal next year.

Probably going to be a three bike household eventually
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

The 2008 is $3300, Red, new Michelins (doesn't say which ones), new gel battery. Also aftermarket exhaust, 3 windshields, and "quick detachable locking luggage" (I think it's Givi, but not really big ones). Just over 8k miles. Seems ok (from the CL ad), though I'm not a big fan of the red.

The 2008 is $3950, Blue. It has Barkbusters and Hepco Becker engine guards. 2650 miles. Looks brand new in the pics.

I prefer the blue, but I do want bags on this bike if I get one. Though I do want a tail bag, and neither has that. I also want the side racks and bags, which the red one has. Having said that, I also want crash bars and Barkbusters (or similar), which the blue one has.

So... These pop up from time to time. Rarely with really great prices (IMO), but some more reasonable than others. Thoughts?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, on the 2008:

The tires are actually Bridgestone Battlax.
The side cases are Givi E21's (no top case)
The current owner says the racks (side and rear) are Kawasaki, but the Ebay ad that he sent me from when he purchased the bike says they are Givi.

It also has been lowered (Moto Werk).
The slip on is a Yoshimura TRC.
Tank bra.
Stainless steel front brake lines.
Bar end mirrors.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
Ok, on the 2008:

The tires are actually Bridgestone Battlax.
The side cases are Givi E21's (no top case)
The current owner says the racks (side and rear) are Kawasaki, but the Ebay ad that he sent me from when he purchased the bike says they are Givi.

It also has been lowered (Moto Werk).
The slip on is a Yoshimura TRC.
Tank bra.
Stainless steel front brake lines.
Bar end mirrors.
Kawasaki's cases and racks are made by Givi....Kappa is also made by Givi.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Kawasaki's cases and racks are made by Givi....Kappa is also made by Givi.
Thanks! As long as I can fit other, larger cases to the racks, and a nice top box, that's good news
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've owned a version 1 and now a version 2. Main difference is cosmetic. Version 2 slightly smoother shifting and minutly improved vibration isolation. Biggest improvement is from version 2 to version 3 that adds ABS and revamped suspension as well as minute improvements in vibration control.

The version 1 looks much better with a BMW style VStream windshield IMO

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Apparently the 2008 has a National Cycle V Stream Windscreen.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Apparently the 2008 has a National Cycle V Stream Windscreen.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:51 AM

Mrs. Toaster has a 2009. I am impressed. Hers was under $3000, but came pre-rashed quite nicely, nothing $350 in plastics wouldn't fix.

For long distance, we have soft saddle bags that work fine and won't scratch up, a trunk, and a big dry bag that lashes across seat and bags. Will get big front saddle bags / tank bag combo.

She thought the newer model was smoother and less exciting.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post
Mrs. Toaster has a 2009. I am impressed. Hers was under $3000, but came pre-rashed quite nicely, nothing $350 in plastics wouldn't fix.

For long distance, we have soft saddle bags that work fine and won't scratch up, a trunk, and a big dry bag that lashes across seat and bags. Will get big front saddle bags / tank bag combo.

She thought the newer model was smoother and less exciting.
Thanks for the input. Unless I change my mind, I'm going to try to look at the 2008 Friday evening or Saturday, if it's still there. Considering the upgrades are mostly things that I would want anyway, and 8k miles, I think it's a pretty good price.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I remember that bike. The original owner was a member here when i first joined in 2010. Well farkled and taken care of his sold it to buy a car.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've done a lot of research on the different generations. I'd always been interested in a versys in the past, but it's really the changes in the 2015+ model that won me over. I don't own one yet but have been looking. When I compare the differences, to me it's worth it to get the 2015 model. The oem-looking luggage, the adjustable windscreen, the smoother engine, the additional power, and the better fuel economy is enough for me. Plus I think the 2015+ looks better,

Through the end of June Kawasaki is offering $1k cash on new left over 2015 models. Should be able to get one for $7500 or less before taxes. Maybe a lot less.

Used 2015+ models are hard to find, seems that not many people are selling. I saw one on craigslist, for sale by a dealer, for $7k. A 650 LT model. Seemed like a good deal.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I've done a lot of research on the different generations. I'd always been interested in a versys in the past, but it's really the changes in the 2015+ model that won me over. I don't own one yet but have been looking. When I compare the differences, to me it's worth it to get the 2015 model. The oem-looking luggage, the adjustable windscreen, the smoother engine, the additional power, and the better fuel economy is enough for me. Plus I think the 2015+ looks better,

Through the end of June Kawasaki is offering $1k cash on new left over 2015 models. Should be able to get one for $7500 or less before taxes. Maybe a lot less.

Used 2015+ models are hard to find, seems that not many people are selling. I saw one on craigslist, for sale by a dealer, for $7k. A 650 LT model. Seemed like a good deal.
Thanks for the tip on the $1k offer. I'll check with some dealers that aren't too far away and see what I can find. I like the 2015+ also, and am still considering going that route.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the $1k offer. I'll check with some dealers that aren't too far away and see what I can find. I like the 2015+ also, and am still considering going that route.
Have you gotten any quotes yet? I started a thread about left over 2015 pricing here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lt-models.html
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Have you gotten any quotes yet? I started a thread about left over 2015 pricing here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lt-models.html
I haven't the weekend got away from me. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I really don't need to spend that much on another MC right now. But...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 AM

I sometimes have seen the first gens with lower miles sell for less than really beat, boogered up KLR's bring. I had a KLR two bikes ago, and loved it, but I feel the "Vers has more or as much "value" because of the highway/touring ease with them.

I got my 2008 in the fall two years ago from a Honda dealer where it had sat all summer. A Versys is often misunderstood at a KAWASAKI dealer.... many people don't quite get what they are for, especially looking at one with no bags.

I paid $2,100 for mine.......

but I watched the price come down from $3,300 over the course of like 5 months. It had about 14,500 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it, some plastics/tank rash from the previous rider apparently frequently ratchet strapping it down in a pickup or trailer.

It all got tore apart and reworked in the winter after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode