Camera Systems For The Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Camera Systems For The Versys

Ordered the GoPro HD Motorsports Camera this morning. Just plan on using for a short time while i'm looking at a system to video from the front & rear and have a monitor to view the rear while riding. any suggestions. Been looking at a few but really want to see in person to see the quality of the monitor feed.

If anyone has any feedback on a system please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have an HDVR + bullet camera
the systemn is capable of producing DVD quality imagary. the only downside is that full DVD quality gobbles space ont he cmaera memory card and finished video
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...ra-system.html

some examples can be seen here.

I wanted a camera with a remote control, capable of being powered by the bikes 12v supply and good quality. from what I know now I don't need HD, the earlier generation would be good enough. there are some cheapo cameras on ebay for around $10..$20 but they seem to suffer from a rippling affect.
the HDVR does have a very slight judder, noticable when there are lots of trees on the road, however tha may be down to me not setting it up correctly rather than a defect in the camera.

I was very impressed witht he image quality of the dusk video
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

healdem:-

Nice video-both and by the way is it a brother can you are using . Sound like twinBro.Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 AM

cheers

actually the can is an MTC http://www.mtcexhausts.co.uk/index.htm

and if the truth be told the baffle is missing in all 4 videos.. it blew out on the first one and took a few days to get a replacement so its a lot more 'fruity' than it is normally.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Garage
@ Healdem

I was wondering where you hook your camera ?

The image is so stable ...

Nice vid btw

LOP
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 AM

the HDVR kit came with triple suction cup that fits around the camera.. if you look on http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...ra-system.html look for the hDVR 720 Camera Suction Mount

I 'just' stuck the camera onto the side of the tank, neatly avoiding the Kawasaki stickers...
recorder into a tank bag..
microphone on top of the bag in the wind shadow of the screen...
remote velcroed to LHS of the bars...
power from 12v socket...

...jobsagoodun
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
have a monitor to view the rear while riding

Ermm... mirrors??
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Ermm... mirrors??

Yes Roadstergal i have those. They happen to be Z-1000 mirrors but i have lots of ideas of how i want "MY" bike and the funds to make it happen. You watch your world through you vibrating mirrors and i'll view mine through a nice crisp picture perfect monitor. To each thier own.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Dude, I'm going to get 16 cameras mounted around my bike so I never have to turn my head!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Dude, I'm going to get 16 cameras mounted around my bike so I never have to turn my head!

The original post asked for feedback on camera systems. Your replys don't have any feedback so if you have no feedback on the question asked. why post. Besides if i wanted any lip out of you i'd unzip my pants.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:38 AM

forgot to mention you can get picture in picture systems where you have two or more cameras, so you coudl have one facing forward and one on the helmet or one rear facing.

however I doubt these cameras are worth looking at whilst riding. In fact I'd suspect they could well be a dangerous distraction. in part thats down tot he size of the monitor (the HDVR is about 2.5" / 60mm diagonal screen. its also far quicker and I'd argue easier to use the mirrors and or look over your shoulder. Id also suggest that if you were to find a rear facing camera then you are making yourself reliant on technology so if and when it breaks or gets nicked or you are on another bike you may have lost your automatic reflexes
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heres a link below thats more of what i'm looking for but i'd like a monitor for the back mostly to see whats coming up behind me while stopped. Not looking to make videos i want something that in case i'm involved in an accident i have video proof of what happened. Just in case i'm not in condition to tell my side of the story. My brother was hit from behind a couple of years ago woke up in the hospital and doesn't remember what happened. the car that hit him didn't stop he was found in the ditch sometime later by a co-worker that just happened to see the rear of the bike sticking up. I feel it more of a safety feature than a farkle.

http://www.4kam.com/bikeamigo_motorc...box_camera.htm
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM

if 'all' you are lookign for is an equivalent of an aircrafts 'balck box' then consider gettign one of theose el cheapo cameras off fleabay. some of them can be set up to record continuously. they are cheap picture quality is fine for what you are proposing
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Heres a link below thats more of what i'm looking for but i'd like a monitor for the back mostly to see whats coming up behind me while stopped. Not looking to make videos i want something that in case i'm involved in an accident i have video proof of what happened. Just in case i'm not in condition to tell my side of the story. My brother was hit from behind a couple of years ago woke up in the hospital and doesn't remember what happened. the car that hit him didn't stop he was found in the ditch sometime later by a co-worker that just happened to see the rear of the bike sticking up. I feel it more of a safety feature than a farkle.

http://www.4kam.com/bikeamigo_motorc...box_camera.htm

What you are wanting is the BikeEye™ Wireless Rear View Camera, from 4Kam

Do you feel the need for better rear vision on your motorcycle? Ever wondered if there is anything in your blind spot? Perhaps you want to bling up your machine and go mirrorless?

The BikeEye™ rear view camera solves these problems by enabling you to see what or who is behind you via mini cam technology. The system is wireless and easy to install, simply take a 12v feed from your rear lights to power the camera and another from the front to power the monitor.

So now out on the road all you'll need do is glance at your monitor and the wide angle camera will show just who is behind you! Its obviously a pretty slick bit of kit too so if you like 'trick bits' or gadgets you'll love this!

Thats not all, let your insurance company know you have a rear view camera installed and they might just lower your premiums!

See this link - http://www.4kam.com/bikeeye_wireless...iew_camera.htm

Richard
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
What you are wanting is the BikeEye™ Wireless Rear View Camera, from 4Kam

Do you feel the need for better rear vision on your motorcycle? Ever wondered if there is anything in your blind spot? Perhaps you want to bling up your machine and go mirrorless?

The BikeEye™ rear view camera solves these problems by enabling you to see what or who is behind you via mini cam technology. The system is wireless and easy to install, simply take a 12v feed from your rear lights to power the camera and another from the front to power the monitor.

So now out on the road all you'll need do is glance at your monitor and the wide angle camera will show just who is behind you! Its obviously a pretty slick bit of kit too so if you like 'trick bits' or gadgets you'll love this!

Thats not all, let your insurance company know you have a rear view camera installed and they might just lower your premiums!

See this link - http://www.4kam.com/bikeeye_wireless...iew_camera.htm

Richard
Been looking at that also hows the quality of the monitor
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM

looks similar tot he HDVR + bullet camera set up from dogcam, mind you the dogcam option is nearly £100 notes cheaper!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
looks similar tot he HDVR + bullet camera set up from dogcam, mind you the dogcam option is nearly £100 notes cheaper!
Thanks, going to checks on some systems at some shops when i get back to texas. but i like the ones from the UK.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
... if you have no feedback on the question asked. why post.
Well, I for one thought her post was funny and enjoyed it.

Quote:
... if i wanted any lip out of you i'd unzip my pants.
And that was uncalled for!

Quote:
The original post asked for feedback on camera systems...
You might want to add a DVD player so you can watch MSF safety videos while you ride...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Well, I for one thought her post was funny and enjoyed it.

And that was uncalled for!

You might want to add a DVD player so you can watch MSF safety videos while you ride...
I read some of your post and you seem to talk alot of **** or just think your a funny guy. Well if i wanted to listen to a smart ass i'd just fart.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM
njd

Here's some feedback: it's a dumb idea. And if you're going to be so sensitive about peoples' replies, then don't ask for advice on the internet.

Your comment to her was completely unnecessary.

Last edited by njd; 09-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode