Scraped my peg for the first time. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Scraped my peg for the first time.

As some of you know here in houston we don't have any curves. But we do have exit ramps and u-turns.

I was taking a u-turn under the freeway bridge and on the second part where it merges with the street I saw an opening. So, I gave it a little gas and leaned down a bit more.

Next thing I know there's this loud scrape sound and a little wobble. I immediately stood the bike up as it scared the crap out of me.

I didn't even think I had it leaned over that far....almost disappointing that I can't lean it farther. Not that I feel comfortable doing that anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Just keep grinding that little peg down on the underside of the footrest and you'll go lower...and lower....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, the first time I scraped a peg it give me a little scare too. And funny thing is, I've done it quite a few times since, but every time it makes my heart race a little. I seem to drag my boots more than the pegs. I think when I feel the toe touch, I quit pushing. Fun as all get out, though!! And to scrape a peg, that bike is really leaned over!

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-08-2010 at 10:04 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats Rumbo, and hope one day I will scrap the peg.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Take it where you can get it bud. Come on up here some day. When it's not raining you could do it almost anywhere. That's a long way to the ground for our pegs, nice job.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post

I didn't even think I had it leaned over that far....almost disappointing that I can't lean it farther. Not that I feel comfortable doing that anyway.
Congrats on joining the scrape the peg club, if you want to see how far it leans get someone to help you tip the bike over until it touches the peg, its a good angle of lean. When your moving and doing things right you don't always realize how acute the angle is, example if you are going around a very tight left hand bend then your head will be looking extreme left to your exit points and you cannot tell how much lean you are actually on.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 AM

Simply remove the curb feelers, all they'll do is cause you heartaches. I did....remove them, not cause any heartaches, eh?

V-Zee
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Might remove those curb feelers myself as concerned one day that may take a bite of the road and me and the V will part company
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Sorry to be a kill joy but scraping a peg is not necessarily a good thing. That is "hard" part, as hart parts scrape then other "hard" parts are and will become upset. When bike geometry gets upset then bikes go down. If you are leaning that hard you need to be moving your butt off the seat.
Granted I am guilty of scraping pegs on nearly every bike I've owned, at least until I installed rearsets, not something I plan on doing on the Versys. As kiwi 41 said, remove the curb feelers. It's easy to be lazy and not move off the seat, however that is the correct way to go through curves.
Like I said, I am not trying to be Debbie Downer but peg scraping isn't safe.
JCIII

82 CB 750F
86 Ninja 600R
92 Seca II
97 CBR 600 F3
98 VTR 1000
02 954 RR
02 FZ1 The original Raven
04 FZ1 Skunk Works
04 CBR 1000RR
04 Futura
04 Tuono Racing
08 Hypermotard
07 KTM Superduke
08 510 SMR
K5 GSXR 1K
07 FZ1
08 KTM Superduke
09 Versys
10 Tiger
11 Speed Triple
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you should get your butt off seat, drop shoulder and knee drag but that takes a lot of work and okay for track, me a bit lazy and have not got energy to slid butt all the time especially through extended twisties but dropping elbows does help keep bike upright. Have hit those feelers pretty hard on hairpin of a track but that is with a profesional race riding instuctor following me and not having to worry about oncoming traffic in perfect dry conditions and to be honest would not ride that agressive on our roads and due to the fact of having some very close calls and not likeing pain have backed off quite a bit. Still think a good exercise is in your garage to lean bike over with help of somone to see how much lean angle you are actually on when you touch peg feelers.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Peg feelers are meant to touch down first, and the guys are right, to touch down with the Vs you have got that baby cranked over good. As the pegs fold upward, touching the feelers down will not lever the wheels off the pavement. "Hard Parts"- center-stand, exhaust, Boxer Heads- can lever the wheels. Fortunately, we have no worries there! When the peg feeler touches down, you have an unmistakable warning that you are approaching the cornering limits.
The peg feelers are replaceable, and I guess that makes them removable, though I'm unclear on what part you'd want touching down instead. Come to that, anybody know what part touches down after the peg feeler? I'm guessing Hard Bags or Crash Bars, assuming you have them.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I'd rather drag a knee on my SV... it's set up for that sort of thing.

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

I've noticed that since I completed the Lee Park's Advanced riding class, I'm scraping peg feelers alot now. Hmmm. Well, that and installing my peg lower-ers. ;o)
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Peg feelers are meant to touch down first,

As the pegs fold upward, touching the feelers down will not lever the wheels off the pavement. "Hard Parts"- center-stand, exhaust, Boxer Heads- can lever the wheels.

Come to that, anybody know what part touches down after the peg feeler? I'm guessing Hard Bags or Crash Bars, assuming you have them.
gear lever goes next

right, they're designed to fold, but lightens the rear and slides though unless unweighted fully.

Hangng off like an ape is not the only game in town, especially when going past "techincally/photogenically correct" riders! and depends on lots of things including height. Also can be slow flip floping in/out of chicanes on a V for example.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Just to be clear, touching down the pegs, or for that matter trying to eliminate those embarrassing "chicken strips", is not necessarily the quickest way through a given corner. It is more a "result" of quickness than a "cause".

If speed is your drug, or for that matter, your calculated goal, you probably should begin doing track days before you hurt yourself or someone else on the street. Street riding is not the place to push the limits of your skill.

V-Zee
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
If speed is your drug, or for that matter, your calculated goal, you probably should begin doing track days before you hurt yourself or someone else on the street. Street riding is not the place to push the limits of your skill.

V-Zee
Good advice
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Well I leaned the bike over in the parking lot and it goes really far till the pegs touch! I still can't believe that I went that low. And I even had a loaded top case on at the time!

I didn't try to scrape them at all. I'm sure I don't have the right technique for cornering and I'm not trying to practice above my ability on the street.

Now that I think about it...I think I was even counter balancing a little bit and just pushing the bike down through the curve. I used to do that on my dirtbikes. So, obviously I have the completely wrong technique.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 AM

I was going to say treat that as a warning, scraping your pegs leads to acts of hooliganism such as:-

..but then I noticed the miscreant (133BHP) had already appeared here
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 AM

133bhp,

Are there any videos of you on the Versys from different perspective? (i.e. from a bike following you)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
gear lever goes next

right, they're designed to fold, but lightens the rear and slides though unless unweighted fully.

Hangng off like an ape is not the only game in town, especially when going past "techincally/photogenically correct" riders! and depends on lots of things including height. Also can be slow flip floping in/out of chicanes on a V for example.

Thats a great photo,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode