Besides the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Besides the Versys

Any Versys owners out there that have owned or had experience with a Suzuki SV650? That could be a bike that could interest me as a possible substitute for a Versys since I used to have a 650 V-Strom and was very impressed with its engine; that 90 degree V twin was really smooth. I didn't care for all the plastic bodywork though and thought perhaps a naked SV650 would be a good bet. Can anyone offer comparisons with the Versys and SV650? Is the SV riding position more crotch rocket like? (I prefer upright.) Engine vibrate less? Would appreciate any words of wisdom until I get a chance to ride both of them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM

The SV650S has crotch rocket ergos. The SV650 is much more upright...perhaps a bit more canted forward than the V but not much. It's not as tall as the V either. Light, pretty fast, tossable, reliable, fun...another poor man's Ducati.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errandboy View Post
Any Versys owners out there that have owned or had experience with a Suzuki SV650? That could be a bike that could interest me as a possible substitute for a Versys since I used to have a 650 V-Strom and was very impressed with its engine; that 90 degree V twin was really smooth. I didn't care for all the plastic bodywork though and thought perhaps a naked SV650 would be a good bet. Can anyone offer comparisons with the Versys and SV650? Is the SV riding position more crotch rocket like? (I prefer upright.) Engine vibrate less? Would appreciate any words of wisdom until I get a chance to ride both of them. Thanks.
I've rode both and like them, but the Versys had a better upright seating position, which can be fixed on the SV with some handle bar risers.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM

No SV is going to be the do it all bike the Versys is. All depends on what you're wanting to do on the bike.
JCIII
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM

I also joined the Strom site, as I'm interested in that bike too. Lots of discussions about SV650 over there, apparently quite a few people have had a Vee Or Wee and an SV.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
djg

I had an early carb sv650 naked. Great bike, a bit too small for my 6'3" 225lb body. Super engine very smooth. Crappy seat, much like the Versys.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I put 25k miles on a '99 SV650 before selling it. Great bikes. Engine is very sweet, it vibrates but is more of a "thud" than the "buzz" of the Versys. Stock suspension is horrible. It feels like a much smaller bike than the Versys. I really enjoyed mine but it always felt too small to do big tours on.

When I bought a second bike I tried my hand at customizing the SV. Here's some pics from right before I sold it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (129.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (150.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (116.1 KB, 96 views)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerider View Post
No SV is going to be the do it all bike the Versys is. All depends on what you're wanting to do on the bike.
JCIII
There is a guy on SV Rider who had 130k on his SV. The pics I have seen him post of his offroad adventures, are just as good if not better than any V pics I have seen.

I was planning on buying a SV, but the bike just felt a bit to small for me. Plus the V has some wind protection. I never rode a SV though, only sat on them many times.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Yes, had one, I think mine had carbs too, can't remember (sorry, gettin' old. )
What I remember is the motor is definitely outstanding. There was almost a cult following for the model, a great forum at socalsvriders.com. I met up with almost 200 of them at a rally in Temecula. Nice group, a lot of younger riders. They had figured out how to tweak a lot of performance out of them. A lot got into doing track days with them. They still make a great track-day specific bike.

I prefer a v-twin to a parallel twin. More grunt, peak torque at a lower rpm, just different. I traded mine for a DL1000. Yes, drank the koolaid. The Vstrom was the other extreme - too big, too heavy. But it could haul the freight, and fast. I was going to kill myself on that one so I sold it. I wanted to ride Baja with it but never got the chance. Maybe can still do that on the versys. The Wee-Strom wasn't out yet when I bought mine, and it is COMPLETELY different from the SV. The Versys is kind of in the middle, just a lot more versatile.

I thought the SV was smallish as well. I wanted something that would handle side bags two-up. The SV was really too small for that. I had the 'S' model and my wrists would ache after a time in the saddle.

Very nice solid bike though. Definitely more focused on canyon carving than the versys. While the V can do that too, it is more comfortable, and opens up the option for adventure travel type riding. Forget all that with the SV.

If you are a purely road rider the SV is a good option. Yes, the naked with higher bars will be more comfortable, but not much wind protection for any distance riding. It's more of an urban, street-fighter type bike.

The grown up SV became the Gladius. Yuk. Zuki builds a good bike though, I never had any complaints with either of them. IMHO, of the four jap makes, Yamaha is just a cut above, the rest all pretty much equal as far as build quality. Perhaps Kawasaki with a bit of a performance edge over the three remaining. I've owned all four brands a one time or another. Still prefer euro bikes.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yes, had one, I think mine had carbs too, can't remember (sorry, gettin' old. )
What I remember is the motor is definitely outstanding. There was almost a cult following for the model, a great forum at socalsvriders.com. I met up with almost 200 of them at a rally in Temecula. Nice group, a lot of younger riders. They had figured out how to tweak a lot of performance out of them. A lot got into doing track days with them. They still make a great track-day specific bike.

I prefer a v-twin to a parallel twin. More grunt, peak torque at a lower rpm, just different. I traded mine for a DL1000. Yes, drank the koolaid. The Vstrom was the other extreme - too big, too heavy. But it could haul the freight, and fast. I was going to kill myself on that one so I sold it. I wanted to ride Baja with it but never got the chance. Maybe can still do that on the versys. The Wee-Strom wasn't out yet when I bought mine, and it is COMPLETELY different from the SV. The Versys is kind of in the middle, just a lot more versatile.

I thought the SV was smallish as well. I wanted something that would handle side bags two-up. The SV was really too small for that. I had the 'S' model and my wrists would ache after a time in the saddle.

Very nice solid bike though. Definitely more focused on canyon carving than the versys. While the V can do that too, it is more comfortable, and opens up the option for adventure travel type riding. Forget all that with the SV.

If you are a purely road rider the SV is a good option. Yes, the naked with higher bars will be more comfortable, but not much wind protection for any distance riding. It's more of an urban, street-fighter type bike.

The grown up SV became the Gladius. Yuk. Zuki builds a good bike though, I never had any complaints with either of them. IMHO, of the four jap makes, Yamaha is just a cut above, the rest all pretty much equal as far as build quality. Perhaps Kawasaki with a bit of a performance edge over the three remaining. I've owned all four brands a one time or another. Still prefer euro bikes.
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm a road rider that has to traverse some off road travel to get to where I live. Any more I mainly use a motorcycle in nice weather in place of a car to run errands; so I like to be able to carry things, I like a big trunk. Don't need to carry a passenger though, so can build a trunk to occupy the passenger's seat space. Here's a picture of my third Valkyrie with home-made 90 liter trunk and "dogpit." Will leave the dog at home if I get a smaller bike. I suppose any bike that weighs a couple hundred pounds less than the Valkyrie will be OK wherever the Valk goes.

The only Kawasaki I have owned was a KLR650... I thought its build quality was a bit inferior to the Suzukis I've owned. (Two DR650's and a DL650.) My present (4th) Valkyrie is the 46th bike I've owned, who knows what next spring will bring.

Last edited by Errandboy; 09-08-2010 at 08:35 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM

All I can say is OMG!!!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Thats so cool what a cute dog, does he wear leather or textile gear?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM

owned a 03 sv650n and 03 sv1000n. Outstanding motorcycles. I would buy a naked 07-08 naked in a heartbeat.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 AM

SV650 is a very good bike. I like V-twins. Might take a look at the Honda Superhawk, as well. V-twin and 1000CC's. These things honk and priced right, too!

V-Zee
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM

The SV650 and Vstrom are both very capable budget middleweights with good online support and copious aftermarket support.

I had an SV650S carbed and both an SV650 nekkid and SV650S FI.

A lot of the decision will come down to personal preference. There are things I like about the V-twin, but things I don't, especially the vibrations - they would put my hands to sleep. The parallel twin is an engine configuration I enjoy more - and that's personal preference. The V beats the parallel, stock for stock, on performance.

The SV is designed as primarily an onroad bike, but if you go to ADVrider and see where WoodsChick has taken her nekkid SV, you'll see that the bike is not what's limiting. I got the Versys for long-ADV-trip comfort and upright seeing-over-traffic, and because the ergos work for me. My hubby has the 'Strom because he prefers the V-twin and the bigger-diameter wheels. Neither is a bad choice.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM

The new, semi-naked equivalent to the SV650 is the Gladius. Rode one of those before I bought the Versys and I was impressed ( not necessarily by its looks though ). It had a very nice sound and felt smooth. The only show-stopper was that it was over a $1000 more than the Versys, had little for 'accessories' being a new bike ( the stock seat is HORRIBLE, worst than the one on the Versys ), and the guys at the dealership were jerks. My evil plan is to get an SV650 ( not the 'S' with all the bodywork ) or a Gladius as a supplemental bike in a couple of years. Who says you can't have more than one ?

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
Who says you can't have more than one ?
*looks at garage*

I left 'one' behind a long time ago.

I think an SV650 and a V might be too close in intent, though. I like my bikes to be non-overlapping.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Had a carbed nekkid SV650. It felt small and didnt have as much low end as the V. It did like to rev more and felt quicker overall but required more shifting as it had a narower powerband. If you like to ride fast and arent tall I would recommend the SV, if you like to cruise or tour I recommend the Versys. If you are over 6 ft tall buy a Versys. Both nice bikes but my SV didn't shift as well.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM

I have an '05 naked SV650. The thing I hate about the bike is the vibrations all over the RPM band. Doesn't matter how light you are on the bars either. My previous bike was a Ninja 500R and that thing vibrated more in the pegs with a buzz at the bars.

How does the Versys compare? I love the ergos of the bike, but I'm wary of the parallel engine being really buzzy.

OP: From what I've read and understand, though the WeeStrom and the SV650 share the same motor, they are tuned differently. The Wee' is a lot smoother than the SV is, or so I've read from those who've ridden both. It's actually one of the things that attracts me to the Wee', but it's pretty heavy and/or bulky in comparison to the Versys. I'm still on the fence on what my next bike will be; FZ6, Versys, or WeeStrom.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errandboy View Post
... Here's a picture of my third Valkyrie with ... "dogpit."
That is so cool!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode