Reasons NOT to buy a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reasons NOT to buy a Versys

Hey all...first post here but have been lurking for a long time.

Got myself riding on a 2010 Ninja 250 back in March and I'm about 5000+ miles down the road and am nearing my plan to sell the Ninjette and move up to a larger, more comfortable bike that I plan on keeping for years and farkling as necessary.

That being said...I've ALWAYS been eyeing the Versys and I'm pretty much dead set on pulling the trigger on one in the relatively near future.

So, my question to you all, why is it NOT a good investment? What are some of the common complaints about the bike? I plan on using it as a commuter as well as a tourer. Off road is NOT going to be in its job description.

I ask this question honestly. I am not trying to have my mind changed, but just trying to hear from some real world users what are some of the negatives I might encounter should I drop the funds on one in the future.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Garage
It gets to be quite expensive with all the cool stuff you can buy for them.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM

There are no reasons to not get a V.....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Only reason not to get one would be that it's not a Ducati Multistrada 1200.
But then again - most motorcycles aren't
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
Heh...my dream bike....
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Reasons not to buy:

(1) You like to talk about motorbikes and riding motorbikes more than you like to ride them.

(2) You like to pay alot of money for motorbikes because other people tell you that you need a certain type of motorbike to do a certain type of riding.

(seriously)

Quote:
I would VERY HONESTLY rather have a V. I looked at one of these up close last month and I gotta say, it's pretty much a REALLY expensive and BIG road bike with long travel suspenion. I would be scared to death to drop the thing on a crappy gravel road and have an expensive parts bill.

I met a guy with one at Skagit Powersports. He pretty much only rode it in "enduro" mode, which softenned up the suspension and limited the engine to around 100hp. To me, this is a person with waaaaay more money than they know what to do with. For $20k+ I would want to use everything I could get out of a bike. That being said, I certainly don't have the skills to get everything out of a Multistrada 1200.

I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, i.e., push a bike beyond its capabilities than own one that I could not fully utilize; and, I doubt I will be able to fully utilize the V anytime soon; on the street, that is.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM

The reason not to get a Versys is because you don't like great motorcycles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM

If you must have the fastest, most prestigious, loudest, prettiest looking, want to be afraid to get caught in the rain or hit some gravel anywhere type of bike. Don't get one!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Because it is not a BMW R1200GS... Or RT..
But, way more fun to ride in town and easier to move around for us physically challenged folks.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 PM

I'll have to think about it. Let me get back to you in a hundred or so posts...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Pretty much anything that I don't like about the bike I can farkle or change. I would make sure everything it correct from the dealer or prior owner. Bolts are tight, wheel arrow is correct, etc.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM

If you're really short legged, the Versys may not work for you

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Oh come on, people, there are LOTS of reasons not to buy a Versys. Here are the top ten reasons, off the top of my head.

1) You have several hundred thousand dollars in the bank, no idea what to do with it, and you have deep-seated feelings of inadequacy and anxiety because your father ran off with his secretary and abandoned your family when you were a child, and you somehow feel you were to blame. You feel an overwhelming compulsion to buy the Motorcycle of The Year winner to bask in the weak reflected glow of glory.

2) The Versys' fairing buzzes and you're too lazy to fix it.

3) You have poor choice in friends and your friends all ride Harleys and will make disparaging comments about you and refuse to let you ride with them if you buy a Versys.

4) You have poor choice in friends and your friends all ride Ducatis and will be embarrassed to be seen with you if your bike doesn't cost five figures.

5) You do more track days than commutes to work.

6) If you aren't riding a $35,000 custom you won't be allowed to park right by the front door of the chicken wing joint on Bike Night, and you really, really want to park by the front door and bask in the weak reflected glow of glory.

7) You only have $2,000 to spend on a motorcycle.

8) Your grandfather worked in Kawasaki's ship-building division, was killed in a horrible industrial accident and was screwed out of his pension and survivor benefits by an unscrupulous supervisor, so your family has sworn to be personal enemies of Kawasaki for six generations.

9) Versys is kind of a stupid name and because of your Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, that really bothers you. So much that you might be forced to set your bike on fire because the voices just won't leave you alone.

10) You can only have one bike and you plan to enter the Dakar Rally.

These are all perfectly legitimate reasons not to buy a Versys.

I'm sure there are others.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:09 PM

A Versys might be more fun than you can handle. Also you find you did not save on fuel because while a commute to work takes a half hour, it takes three hours to get home.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 AM

I love the bike, butg let's not live in fantasyland here.

a couple things i have found:

1. seat sucks. just like on the 650r. give me a break, the forward slide is just poor engineering. it wouldn't cost anything more to design a proper seat.

2. fairing buzzes. yes, i can probably fix it. but they could probably straighten that out at the factory with 2$ worth of foam tape when assembling.

3. no self canceling turn signals. pet peeve of mine. all bike should be required to have this.

4. mirrors buzz at speed, especially left mirror.

5. no scroll button for display on hand controls. doesn't seem like it would cost that much. on the tiger board they had a fix worked out using the high beam flash or extra switch.

bottom line is it is a really nice bike. super fun to buzz around on and super versatile as the name implies. The niggles i have found can be fixed, but it would be nice if they could take care of those when they design a bike. I'm sure i dont have to list the pros of this bike as they are well knoiwn and numerous. have fun out there!
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Here are my reasons" why not to buy a Versys.

1. Too much money spent on farkling.

2. Too much time spend in this beautiful Forum.

3. Too many good friends-versys friends- whom I cant ignore and run my own private life.

4. less time spent on home front.

5. Not enough time on the bike riding.

6. Not enough twisters around.

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 AM

You may tire of having to answer questions about it since they are still relatively new and not a dime a dozen...and time used up taking the long way everywhere!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
+1. The "Strada is quite a bike. If you're an old F like me, you can and should go down to the dealer ride one. It's a gas! Downfall is that it really doesn't fit the "Adventure Touring" category very well. It really isn't intended for off road adventures. It's only 20K if you have to have the top of the line "S" model. Otherwise $14.5 K.

Point Two: Reason not to get a Versys: Don't be fooled into thinking the Versys is a Dual-Sport or Adventure Touring bike. If you have those thoughts and desires you WILL be disappointed and either get rid of it or spend a LOT of money trying to fool yourself into thinking it IS one.

Point Three: Buy the very best you can afford. Don't be dumbed down into thinking it's more fun and challenging to buy a lesser machine and drive it faster instead of buying a great bike and learning how to extract it's potential. THAT is inverse logic. Doing that, you will ultimately buy and sell bikes until you eventually get the bike you should have gotten in the first place and end up losing and thus spending a lot more money. (Incidently, this logic, and it is solid as a rock, will work well on the wife )

V-Zee
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
[QUOTE=VerstehenZee;108382
Point Three: Buy the very best you can afford. Don't be dumbed down into thinking it's more fun and challenging to buy a lesser machine and drive it faster instead of buying a great bike and learning how to extract it's potential. THAT is inverse logic. Doing that, you will ultimately buy and sell bikes until you eventually get the bike you should have gotten in the first place and end up losing and thus spending a lot more money. (Incidently, this logic, and it is solid as a rock, will work well on the wife )

V-Zee[/QUOTE]

Well said V-Zee, also do not buy a Versys as you end up looking like a dork after riding through twistys with a permanent goofy smile.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 AM

Welcome,

If you are a speed demon, the V is not for you.
It's fast but there are faster bikes out there.
But somewhere, somehow, the V tend to catch up in the twisters. Good Luck.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode