Back Ache problem... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
WFO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Back Ache problem...

I just picked up my new Versys Friday and put about 40 miles on it yesterday. I'm getting a bad back ache in my kidney area - never had this problem on a bike of any sort. I'm 6'-2" tall but I don't feel cramped except for my knees a little. Maybe I need to lower the pegs? The seat/seating position is a little odd - maybe that's it?? I know I definitely need to loosen the shock spring as it's really stiff and the backend slams into every little bump..

Anyone else have back issues and how did you fix the problem?

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Not usually unless I am riding on really bumpy roads.
You might just need to put a few miles on it so your body gets acclimated to the riding position.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You might want to try a Kidney Belt. Helps hold your back and your kidney in position.

http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBel...cycleBelt.html

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 AM

lower back

This spring I suffered a lower back disc rupture. I was off my bike for about 4 weeks. I now use a kidey belt ($50) and a gel seat pad from wal mart ($20) the pads are over by the auto seat covers . I push the pad high up on the back of the tank, I also just installed handle bar riser from Motowerks. They bring the bar back and higher so I do not lean as far forward as before.

I also have a Balwin gel seat.

Cb
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
WFO

Good ideas - maybe I will wear the kidney belt (have off-road one) and ride it more to get used to the new riding position. The bike is awesome so I have to figure something out.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
You might want to try a Kidney Belt. Helps hold your back and your kidney in position.

http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBel...cycleBelt.html

X 2... plus try 'Speedy's 'peg lowering kit - helps a lot.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM

I used to have to wear a kidney belt on my klx250s but found I didn't need it on the versys. I'm 6'1" but did the foot peg lowering blocks early in owning the v and now have a Baldwin w/gel insert. Also added 20mm risor to hewlp the reach. Most places that sell motocross appearal will have the kidney belts. I have a Thor, 2 straps, worked very well and was around 35$.
Good luck

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Move your handle bars forward and soften the preload. It will change your posture and take some of the bounce out of the bike.

TC
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Probably cause you're not used to the bike. You may want to try stretching before and after your ride. Also, depending on what shape you're in...a regular workout routine would be helpful if you don't ride often.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Try this

I was concerned about riding and my back when I did an 1000 mile trip two years ago.

I bought a bag that bungees in place over the passenger seat. It had an expandable compartment on one side that I faced forward. I packed it with socks. Basically, this became an adjustable lumbar support (pull a pair of socks out to make it softer, add one in to make it firmer.

I thought it worked great.

I also try and move around a lot. I added pegs on the front and use those, the normal ones, and the passenger pegs. Plus I'll stand on the regular pegs whenever I see bumps coming.

No way would I'd do a >100 mile trip w/o the extra bag in place with 3-6 pairs of socks!

RR
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM

speedys foot peg lowering blocks for comfort might help.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
WFO

Does anyone have a web address for the Speedypeg lowering kit?

Major kidney/back issue is mostly solved - the suspension was all set in the stock recommended positions by my dealer. Those settings are fine for a race track with a smooth surface but way out of line for Minnesota's rough roads. I softened everything up (springs and compression) and it's a 100 times better!

I may play with a seat pad, lowering the pegs and raising the bars, that should help even more.

Thanks for all the good tips - I really appreciate the help.

Rich
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
Does anyone have a web address for the Speedypeg lowering kit?

Rich
linky
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

WFO.

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx. stuff.

To improve your ride as a total package, take a look at:

1. Handlebar: Position can be tilted forward or back for your preferred reach. Handlebar riser also allow you not to lean too much forward. Widening the bar gives better leverage and improve handling (new bars)

2, Gear selector: Set in it to a position so you can apply enough force. Allow the selector to be on top of your toes to allow comfortable gear changes.

3. Windshield: Adjust so the channel of wind flow around the bike aerodynamics and your helmet. Favorite here are the GIVI. Ear plugs for the noise. I use music plugs.

Brake and clutch Lever: Set them having your arms stretched comfortable down on the handlebar. Let your fingers extend nicely and the levers rest under your fingers. Tilt them levers down would be more comfortable.

Seat height, shape and plushness:
1. Adding cushion or other materials under the seat cover.
2. Some have raise the seat height by adding spacers beneath.
3. Adding a slight bump at the front of the seat to prevent moving forward while braking.

Footpegs: Lowering using motowerk. Your shins should be as close to 90 degrees to your foot. Getting thicker and larger peg reduces the vibrations reaching your legs. Also improves leg circulation uring long rides.

Engine: Having the V's parallel twin balanced cuts down vibration through the frame. Reduce riding in her resonance rpm range. Change gear quicker and smoother.

Brake pedal: Rest your foot in a relaxed horizontal position. Adjust the pedal so it's just underneath your foot. This makes it comfortable and allows you to press down firmly.

Why do all this?
It's your bike and personally suited to you.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
WFO

Thanks again,

The peg lowering brackets are on order. I'll leave the bars alone for now.

The seat? Is there a good way to raise it a little at the front especially? I feel like I am sliding forward all the time when I brake.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=seat+mods

It opt not to add any front seat padding:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eat+mod&page=2
Invader's excellent idea using spacers for the base of the front seat

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 AM

changing the handlebars, and dding risers helped me a lot in the comfort realm.
I found that I was putting a lot of weight down onto the bars with the stock set up, whic would tire my arms out and eventually my lower back.
getting wider bars and adding risers made all the difference, and also helped with the seat by putting me back farther from the tank.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
Thanks again,

The seat? Is there a good way to raise it a little at the front especially? I feel like I am sliding forward all the time when I brake.
I had a problem with lower back and hip joint pain when I got the V. The slope on the seat turned my hips at a strange angle. I've been riding for 45 years and have many bikes in that time and the V is the worst seat I have ever had.

I could do 7 or 8 hour day rides on the last bike, then back home again the next day.

So I took the cover off and carved the foam down at the back until I had a level surface. I also carved out the leading edge of the rear foam so I could sit a little further back. The cover went back on as normal. It sits clear of the foam cutaway until I sit on it.

The result is that I can now ride the V for hours at a time. Previously I'd ride out for two hours and it was already killing me. Then I would dread the two hour ride home. That is now in the past.

I took out almost two inches from the rear of the front foam, very carefully touching it out with an angle grinder. This gives the smoothest finish. Carving it with a knife gives cutting lines across the surface.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
WFO

Thanks,

The seat mod sounds like a good idea - got any photos to post?

I imagine I will have to get a set of bar risers too.

Just received the motowerk footpegs droppers so I'll install those today and see how they work out.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 AM

I'm 6' 4"/260lbs. and just put a 2" taller Baldwin on mine to go with lowered pegs. A lot of $ - but it's a whole new bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode