• 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By Tomasama
  • 1 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gz0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Generations

Now that I'm actively shopping, I am seeing bikes from different years and trying to figure out what I really want. I'd like to hear from people how the bikes changed over the model years and more importantly whether the changes are significant enough that I should hold out for a later model.

Perhaps the thing that weighs on me most is the question of vibration. I see some complaints about it on this board, but it seems like the buzziness varies from bike to bike or at least it seems some people can't stand it and others are ok with it. I'd like to know more about what speed or RPM range it kicks in so I can look for it in a test drive.

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
W/ lots of miles on the Gen 1 (an '08 w/ 66K miles, and an '09 w/ 65K kms), and now a Gen 3 ('15 w/ 14K kms) - no real problems for me.

I recommend ANY of the V 650s.

-
Gz0 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Go with the bike that provides the best combination of value and looks that you can live with.

Back in '11, I could have bought a barely used '09 that the owner bought as a new leftover in '11 for $4000 even. If it had been Green I would have gone for it, but it was blue and I was riding a blue Ninja at the time and wanted a new color.

I decided to go with the brand new '11 Versys that I did like the look of more, and got for $5900.

I like everything about the 3rd gen LT 650 except side by side lights with only one lit during low beam. Just strange to do that IMO.
Gz0 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Garage
Almost every review I read or heard mentioned the buzz from the engine on 1st and 2nd gen Vs (maybe they were just repeating each other?) apparently fixed in the 3rd Gen.
True of false?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 PM

Vibes / buzzy engine are an annoyance to me. They come on like a light switch at 5 grand and continue up on the far side of 6 before mellowing out. I hated it at first I'm now semi used to it. But I can tell you one thing that it's enough of an annoyance on mine that once this one leaves my ownership I'll never look at another one. Ever.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
vibes

my 09 with about 40k miles has always been nearly as vibe free as my honda shadow.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Vibes and buzzy are relative terms. If you run a Stilh line trimmer once a week, all bikes will be smooth by comparison.

If all you do is sit at a computer, you might find motorcycles annoying
AlaskaJeff and raverson like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
2007-2009 Versys 650: Solid front and rear engine mounts.

2010-2014 Versys 650: Solid front engine mounts, rubber rear engine mount bushings.

2015-2017 Versys 650: Rubber front and rear engine mounts, rubber mounted handlebars.

I have no vibration problems on my 2007 with tapered aluminum handlebars on aluminum adapters... I only feel some vibes in the seat mostly between 4500-4900 rpm, and it's perfectly smooth from 5000-6000 rpm.
Gz0 likes this.

Last edited by invader; 06-06-2016 at 08:55 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...I like everything about the 3rd gen LT 650 except side by side lights with only one lit during low beam. Just strange to do that IMO.
I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S (an '03) that had the same headlight set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Almost every review I read or heard mentioned the buzz from the engine on 1st and 2nd gen Vs (maybe they were just repeating each other?) apparently fixed in the 3rd Gen.
True of false?
I added bits of foam to the dashes of both my '08 and '09 for vibes, but haven't done anything (or needed to!) on the '15

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't like vibration on a motorcycle? take the feckin' car. Motorcycles vibrate; get over it, that's part of their character.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Don't like vibration on a motorcycle? take the feckin' car. Motorcycles vibrate; get over it, that's part of their character.
Or ride a different bike, which is what I have been doing more so lately.Yes, there are vibrations, bikes with character.. I have owned many such over 4 decades on bikes. But none as bad as this one .Maybe something is wrong with mine, I don't know. I know one thing, it's a pain in the arse.. It feels like some cheap chinese knock off that cant make up its mind whether to vibrate or move forward after 5 grand.. I like the string trimmer analogy.. as An owner of both a Stihl trimmer and Saw and someone who lives in the country and uses both frequently, I will say both vibrate less and would be more tolerable holding onto for a 3 hour ride. It's a shame really, because I don't seem to have many complaints others do.. Seat seems fine to me, Mirrors are O.k for my needs, got the suspension dialed in with much tweaking, Like the ergos, Handling, Brakes..etc.. But that dang lackluster engine and the Buzzing are making life on it less enjoyable than it should be. Seems if you get a good one that doesn't vibe much, you're good to go.. Mine must have been built on a Friday.

Last edited by ronheater70; 06-08-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Garage
Ron, maybe you need a Gold Wing.

I've owned a few old Brit bikes and my Matchless G80CS could have been used at the hardware store as a paint can shaker. My '07 V, with no rubber engine mounts, is mild in comparison. I don't even notice the vibration. My twin cylinder lawn tractor has a lot worse vibration and a chainsaw? that is true white-hand causing vibration.

Maybe your V has a loose engine mount- there is a thread here somewhere- use the search. As for lacklustre performance, that is another matter altogether.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 AM

Nah, a goldwing is just too big..

I am being harsh, I realize that. But I am not going to trash the bike. It took a bit for me and this particular bike to come to agree with one another.. I feel in general it is a good bike/ Platform.. and Understand I am not saying in anyway shape or form that the Versys is a bad Bike..All I am saying is that My particular bike is ever annoying in the 5-6.5 rpm range in terms of vibes / buzzing.

BUT maybe you are on to something.. As I was shocked at the amount of vibes on this bike at first, so much that I immediately regretted my purchase.. but after a few thousand miles it got significantly better, I think I even commented on that on here somewhere.. now it seems to be going south again. With that in mind, perhaps something has changed. It may be a good Idea to go over the engine mounts and see if anything is lose. I doubt that it would be, but I should check it, yea I guess really thinking about it, something has changed...Hmmmmm Who Knows?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Garage
Some Mk1 V's need the front mount shimmed. I shimmed my '07 after reading about it here. Perhaps the Mk2, with the front mount being the same could use the shims as well?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ne-mounts.html
Gz0 likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:44 AM

I've gone from a 2010 mark 2 to a new 2015 and it's worlds apart . These is still a bit of vibration in the bars, but the new engine and handlebar rubber mounts really do the job. I don't ride more than 2-300 miles in a day very often, but when I do the new bike feels so much better
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
Looks like I opened a can of worms here ! I can say the mk3 runs smooth and planted. only time there's a bit of buzz is when I open the throttle or i'm rolling at 2.5k rpm.
On the mounts, whats to stop folks from installing some DIY rubber bushings? just fab some up and squeeze them in where ever needed
Gz0 likes this.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Gz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Vibes / buzzy engine are an annoyance to me. They come on like a light switch at 5 grand and continue up on the far side of 6 before mellowing out. I hated it at first I'm now semi used to it. But I can tell you one thing that it's enough of an annoyance on mine that once this one leaves my ownership I'll never look at another one. Ever.
Thanks for this. It's the big thing on my mind in looking at the older Versys models. Does it matter what gear you are in?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz0 View Post
Thanks for this. It's the big thing on my mind in looking at the older Versys models. Does it matter what gear you are in?
It is strictly based on RPM for me, However Read all responses before judging.. as mine seems to be more of an exception than a rule judging by many others on here.. Mine is a 2014, I bought it new.
It seemed Extremely buzzy in that range at first.. Many here told me it would get better, and I instantly was thinking of selling it with only 200 miles on it. BUT, as the miles ran up, it got smoother and smoother, and It really was improving significantly.. Recently it has become an annoyance again, and after conversing with Smiley on here, it really got me to thinking, it has went downhill again. Something has changed I believe, as it had improved significantly and then to start buzzing more again doesn't make sense.
I am going to check my motor mounts this weekend and see where it that takes me. SO until I do that and can find nothing wrong, then I reserve the right to change my statement!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
On the mounts, what's to stop folks from installing some DIY rubber bushings? just fab some up and squeeze them in where ever needed
That would entail smaller diameter engine mounting bolts which could seriously compromise their strength.
Tomasama likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
That would entail smaller diameter engine mounting bolts which could seriously compromise their strength.
Have to admit i didnt inspect how the engine was mounted to the frame. Id be curious to know if secondary mounting points i.e footpegs, handle bar can be modified. Might provide some comfort to our mk 1 & 2 brothers and sisters!

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode