Metallic sound (rattle) while riding on the freeway - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Metallic sound (rattle) while riding on the freeway

I was riding with a friend of mine this morning. He told about the weird sound my bike makes when I'm riding @ 70MPH on the freeway. He said it is a metallic sound. I wear earplugs so I never noticed. Hope it's not something getting lose somewhere. I do not see to hear it when idling or going slow.

Anyone have heard that before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Boricua, best to take a ride without the plugs at 70 mph to pinpoint the sound. Never heard of this metalic sound myself.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
When was the last time you checked your chain tension and how old is your V.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you checked your chain tension
+

+1 This is the #1 cause of non-normal mechanical noise. It's most likely pretty noisy if you just run it up to about 20mph, pull in the clutch and let the engine drop back to idle. If the chain is the cause of the noise, you will know it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Garage
Had a noise like that heard it after washing the bike and going down the block without a helmet. It was the license plate vibrating against the pig tail. used velcro no noise. then later chopped off tail

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM

I just got back from a 400mile ride on friday and noticed a vibration on my bike, I think I narrowed it down to the fairing/instrument cluster area. Not sure if this is the same thing your experiencing or not. I use to live over your way (Breckenridge,Silverthorne) I sure do miss Colorado now that I have this bike!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Now that you mention it...when I'm riding on the freeway and I'm right next to the jersey wall I too hear a metallic sound. Although when I pull the clutch in it goes away. I can only hear it when I'm next to the jersey wall though as it reflects the sound back to me.

The chain sounds like the best place to start.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Chain tension was checked and adjusted about 3,500 miles ago. I started the bike and listen carefully. There is a slight metallic sound that changes when I pull the clutch. Will check the chain tension as soon as I have a chance.

Will keep you posted. Thanks,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yep chain slack needs to be adjusted. Put the bike in the rear spool stand and checked it. Also put it in gear and let it roll. Chain was rattling a bit. Also noticed it is time for new tires too. I'm @ 7,500 miles with the OEM. Not bad I think. Next Sat is bike care day I guess and probably an expensive one. Will check the tire threads to see recommendations. I like the idea of a pair of scropion synch. However, price might make me go with something else.

Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Good that you solved the abnormal sound problem. Meanwhile a little word of advise.
NEVER TEST OR FREE ROLL WITH ENGINE RUNNING, YOUR BIKE ON A PADDOCK STAND- ITS DANGEROUS.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is. Bike was securely fastened to the stand and the stand was bolted to the concrete floor. Did the fastening when I realized how stupid it was what I was about to do.

Thanks for the advice.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM

I have had a couple of problems with my bike, the first one was the plastic right above he instrument panel vibrates too much. I had to stuff a piece of foam in between this plastic piece and the instrument panel and that fixed the problem. The other noise is metallic in nature an is the muffler that cracked away from the small pipe that meets the header pipe. This happened in my trip to Alasks when I hit a large rodent (posum or some other critter) and it cracked the weld between the muffler and the tube. I can only hear it when I am not wearing plugs, and is pretty anoying, so a new muffler will come in the mail soon. It is hard to tell that it is cracked, but if you try to move the muffler with your hands when cold you might be able to see it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklr View Post
but if you try to move the muffler with your hands when cold you might be able to see it.
Did you move it when it was not cold?

Will take a look. When it's cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode