• 2 Post By ronheater70
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Holden
  • 1 Post By unstable_rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Red face How to check the coolant level?

How do I check the coolant level on the 2009 Versys 650? I see the radiator cap but can't get it off since there's a big plastic cover right on top. Do you have to take off the plastic cover just to check the coolant? I don't see a spillover/reserve tank....

Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:24 PM

Garage
Page 4.2 of the service manual will show the exploded view. The short answer is yes, you need to remove some of the plastics.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This?

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-19 (page 39)
Check the coolant level in the reserve tank [A] with the
motorcycle held perpendicular (do not use the sidestand).

Is the reserve tank behind that plastic plate as well?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM

Garage
You need to remove the windscreen, then remove the throttle side plastic piece on the side of the gas tank. Once you are familar with it, you can do it by looking down the front side of the tank.
SteveMartinUSA likes this.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 PM

upright the bike and look at the overflow tank under the plastic. You can see it just fine. if you see cooland between the two lines, you're good to go.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Was the coolant in your 2009 replaced yet? It is now overdue if not done yet.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
upright the bike and look at the overflow tank under the plastic. You can see it just fine. if you see cooland between the two lines, you're good to go.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this was being a little more difficult than it needed to be.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMartinUSA View Post
How do I check the coolant level on the 2009 Versys 650? I see the radiator cap but can't get it off since there's a big plastic cover right on top. Do you have to take off the plastic cover just to check the coolant? I don't see a spillover/reserve tank....

Thanks much
Use a flashlight, stand on the left side w/ the bike level, then look just in front of the gas-tank, on the right side, for a 'white' plastic reservoir w/ "green-stuff" in it. About 2" UP from the bottom should be OK.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll be darned if I can find the reserve tank. Looks like I'll have to take the cover off. Maybe I'll be able to find it easier next time. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 AM

Ha! You're gonna be like, "Oh, that thing!"

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Probably a good idea to pull both side covers off at least once, in the comfort of your own driveway, and have a look around in behind them-- it's not rocket surgery. If you ever want to run wire forward on the bike for accessories, lights, grips, ciggy socket, gps, many of us are running them behind those plastics. They come off easier than 2nd Gen. KLR fairings in comparison.

Or, you can run your bike with no plastics if you like, oh, heck-- there is that overflow jug for you-- right there.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep, taking off the plastics was easier than I thought, and there it was... The coolant was at the proper level and looked like it was replaced last month, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Thanks for the good advice everyone.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Glad to hear that Steve,

Ride safe~
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM

I just looked at the fluid in my overflow tank, and it looks - gulp - brown...? What could be causing this? It's a 2015, by the way.

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I just looked at the fluid in my overflow tank, and it looks - gulp - brown...? What could be causing this? It's a 2015, by the way.
I bought my 2011 a little more than a year ago with 10k miles and I had the brown stuff too. It was like a ring around the reservoir at the top of the fluid level. I took all the plastics off and completely drained the coolant. Pulled the rad and hosed it out good with HOT water. Used HOT water to clean out the reservoir. Then I put everything back together, added new coolant, and its been nice and green for the last year/5k miles.

Not sure what the brown came from but if I had to guess, it was just due for a change.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Brown in antifreeze is usually found in uninhibited glycol,being exposed to ferrous metal. Since the largest part of the cooling system is aluminum , and the antifreeze is aluminum approved,I am puzzled. I just looked at my 2015 and it is dark green, same as when I changed it doing the many Thermo Bob changes. If out of warranty a proper flushing is in order and new specific coolant, as specified in the owners manual.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 PM

I already called the shop and I plan to take it in and have the radiator flushed. I imagine living in Florida is pretty hard on a radiator!

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
I already called the shop and I plan to take it in and have the radiator flushed. I imagine living in Florida is pretty hard on a radiator!
you can do it yourself it really isnt hard nore take and special tools, just buy a few jugs of distilled water drain your coolant, flush about a half gallon thru the system, plug it back up, fill with distilled water, run till it comes up to temp, drain the water , flush with more distilled water, plug then fill with fresh fluid. dont forget to burp the system every refill

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can actual take the cap off without removing the side flaring...if you have a little flex on your hand. I do it all the time and have placed a mark so I can see the coolant level without removing the flaring.

Give it a try...it just might work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, maintenance, radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode