Traffic Light Won't Change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traffic Light Won't Change

I hadn't experienced it before, but today my wife and I were riding some lesser-used roads and at least three times the lights wouldn't change for us. We ended up just going through all of them while on red and no one else being around.

I read this thread that indicated some states have a "red light grace". I couldn't find anything for Texas, however.

Does anyone know if Texas has such a law? Or am I about to get several tickets in the mail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Garage
Sounds like you need one of these for each bike

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Don't know the law in Texas. I don't believe there is a law as of yet to make it legal to run it in Virginia.

I just look around and then run it. Have done this for many years.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Make sure you are stopping over the inroad sensors that detect there is a vehicle sitting at the light.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie74 View Post
Make sure you are stopping over the inroad sensors that detect there is a vehicle sitting at the light.
After watching videos on how they work. I park right on the wires and sometimes it still does not help.... even with two bikes.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
After watching videos on how they work. I park right on the wires and sometimes it still does not help.... even with two bikes.
Yeah, sometimes its still doesnt help. But its better to try. The cop would be more understanding if you have the honest plea of sitting over the sensors rather than lying.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Got the HP one of these to put on when i get home. thought it would be worth a try.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/subca...s/magnet-based
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Try flashing your high-beam off and on as you approach the signal--night or day.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
djg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Try flashing your high-beam off and on as you approach the signal--night or day.
Please explain.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FWIW: I've read of "speed-trap" authorities setting up lights to stay red, then they pull you over for a BIG ticket, so, if you decide to 'run' a red be SURE to look around REALLY well...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I've read about the two gadget solutions above and may have to try them out. At least of the lights was camera-sensor based (don't know what those things are actually called). I'm not sure about the other 2/3. Wonder who I'd call to find out what the law is. I'm sure the last people that would know would be the legislature.

OT: Then today I got a rear flat going down 380 at 60mph. That was an experience ... but maybe another thread. Currently reading the threads on how reliable people think the plug/patches are.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Please explain.
There are some signals (in California at least) that have light sensors built into them. There is one in particular that I know of on my daily commute--flash my high-beam approaching it, light turns quickly, don't flash and it won't change.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
OT: Then today I got a rear flat going down 380 at 60mph. That was an experience ... but maybe another thread. Currently reading the threads on how reliable people think the plug/patches are.
OT Reply: If it is in the middle 1/3rd I would plug, if on the sidewalls I wouldn't

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

Along with the plugs you might need this.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/produ...pump-adventure
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I've read about the two gadget solutions above and may have to try them out. At least of the lights was camera-sensor based (don't know what those things are actually called). I'm not sure about the other 2/3. Wonder who I'd call to find out what the law is. I'm sure the last people that would know would be the legislature.

I would take the tire off and put a patch on it WAY before I would use a plug. Putting a patch on the inside is the ONLY way to safely repair a flat motorcycle tire IMO.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Along with the plugs you might need this.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/produ...pump-adventure
I just bought a $10 Slime "top off" pump. Is that thing really worth $100?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
OT Reply: If it is in the middle 1/3rd I would plug, if on the sidewalls I wouldn't
It's right smack in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I would take the tire off and put a patch on it WAY before I would use a plug. Putting a patch on the inside is the ONLY way to safely repair a flat motorcycle tire IMO.
Are you talking about the mushroom style plugs or is there another kind that's just an internal patch?

Who does work like this? We called Sears, NTB and Pep Boys. None would do it. (Actually, Pep Boys said they would then when we got there they said, "WTF are you doing? We don't do bikes."). Our options were pretty thin on Sunday with all of the dealers closed due to the awesome blue laws we have in Texas.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
I just bought a $10 Slime "top off" pump. Is that thing really worth $100?

Top Off Pump kind of says it all. If i have a flat in the middle of no-where usa. i'd say 100 buck would be cheap insurance. But then you know me "overkill" is not in my vocabulary

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I figure I can "top off" over and over again until it's full. I hope I don't have to use it often, but I'll test it before I ever do a road trip with it. It's about the same size as that one in the picture but made from space-age plastic instead of cheap metal.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
I figure I can "top off" over and over again until it's full. I hope I don't have to use it often, but I'll test it before I ever do a road trip with it. It's about the same size as that one in the picture but made from space-age plastic instead of cheap metal.

Off topic. but didn't you get a lighting kit for your E-52 case. i'm hooking up an admore light kit for the 55 and an admore light bar when i get home next month. i'm taking off a week before i go back to work maybe we can get a ride going. i'm up for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode