• 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Out with the old, in with the new

Sold the '14 650

And the '15 1000 LT

Then picked up this '15 650 LT.

Don't know why, but like the 650 better. Took the bags off and put them on the shelf for now.

Only have 200 miles on this new 650. It's a little bit different than my '14 650, but close enough !

Need a rear rack to mount a day bag.
Noticed that there are four holes that are already tapped.....
Maybe there's an opportunity there for some minor fabrication.
Seats? Same, as the '14, right ?

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Nice bike....Same Seat ...A Pain In The Azz...
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Comparing the '15 to the earlier model, did you notice a difference in the brakes? I rode a '12 model and the brakes seemed to be a bit more like an on/off switch compared with my '15 model. I like your new, smaller tank bag. Rather than a rack, why not just add a larger tail bag that mounts in the passenger spot?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
Comparing the '15 to the earlier model, did you notice a difference in the brakes? I rode a '12 model and the brakes seemed to be a bit more like an on/off switch compared with my '15 model. I like your new, smaller tank bag. Rather than a rack, why not just add a larger tail bag that mounts in the passenger spot?

I think the brakes are a fuzz better than my '14.

The motor seems to have less "low end" but that could just be the tune from one bike to another. Researching some articles.... they say that the 15-up models have less low end and more top end.

Wind protection is better, and wind noise is much less.

The gas tank holds an extra 1/2 gallon?

Not really sure what to do about a rear rack. Won't be using a top box. Won't be riding a passenger. Could just strap a bag onto the passenger seat area

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You are the first I've heard of getting rid of a V1000 for a 650. I'd love to hear reasons as to why the switch if you have time. I have a 650 since I couldn't really find a reason to pick the 1000 over the 650. I didn't ride the 1000 so all of my reasons were on paper only.
Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
You are the first I've heard of getting rid of a V1000 for a 650. I'd love to hear reasons as to why the switch if you have time. I have a 650 since I couldn't really find a reason to pick the 1000 over the 650. I didn't ride the 1000 so all of my reasons were on paper only.
Mike
I had the 2014 650 and 2015 1000 at the same time. Put a few thou on the 1000, but just didn't care for it. Oh, very nice bike and all that but the 650 was more fun to ride.

Of course, the longest trip I ever took that 650 was 1,800 miles. Maybe the 1000 would be better on a longer trip.

Also, the 650 was lighter, and easier to handle for my style of riding. It's great on some gravel and also on tight, steep turns - but goes down the interstate at 80mph surprisingly well for a "650". Or, maybe I'm just easily impressed.

Last edited by kballowe; 05-31-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Nice bike....Same Seat ...A Pain In The Azz...
Till you raise the front, like I have... - 9/16" - OVER 110,000 miles among three Vs w/ that mod, and my bum seems OK.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
...The motor seems to have less "low end" but that could just be the tune from one bike to another. Researching some articles.... they say that the 15-up models have less low end and more top end....
I wrote up when I got my '15 650, that the engine does NOT like being below 4,000rpm in the higher gears.

Quote:
...The gas tank holds an extra 1/2 gallon?
Yup, and I got just under 300 miles on a tank recently, between here and Alberta - I ride w/ the trip-computor selected to RANGE.

Quote:
...Not really sure what to do about a rear rack. Won't be using a top box. Won't be riding a passenger. Could just strap a bag onto the passenger seat area
I bought the Kawi rear-rack for a top-box and added an aluminum bit for long rides.

Someone just posted pics of a BEAUTIFUL rack he made out of aluminum, attached thru those four already-tapped holes inside the grab-handles....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I wrote up when I got my '15 650, that the engine does NOT like being below 4,000rpm in the higher gears.

I agree

Someone just posted pics of a BEAUTIFUL rack he made out of aluminum, attached thru those four already-tapped holes inside the grab-handles....

I saw that thread. Yeah, that's a nice one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode