Versys versus Suzuki 650 Motor characteristics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys versus Suzuki 650 Motor characteristics

Question for you all that are also familiar with the Suzuki 650 twin.

Spent a month on an 08 Versys about 6 years ago chasing my buddy around MT. (His "for when friends visit" bike). Last summer and this summer I have had a chance to ride a suzuki (gladius and 07 sv). On paper, the zook motor is supposed to have more HP. In my memory, the Versys had substantially more rush at the top end. BUT - I've ridden and owned several more powerful bikes since then, so maybe my values have changed.

Help my mis-remembering here. Which is it? Frankly, the Zook 650 feels cool down low, but I kept running out of juice up top and banging the limiter.

Just motor impressions question here. No interest in a vstrom. Street rider wondering on the 650 kaw vs the 650 zook motor for sport street riding. Considering versys or ninja vs sv650

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Suzuki's 650 is a 90 degree V-twin engine...

Last edited by invader; 05-29-2016 at 01:56 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 02:58 AM

There isn't enough difference in the MK3 Versys 650 and the Suzuki Vstrom power to matter. IMHO, the Versys is a much better value. The Versys has much better luggage and it is cheaper. The LT also has a 2 year warranty compared to a 1 yr warranty for the Vstrom.

There is also a much different riding experience - with a 5" difference in wheelbase and a 17" front wheel, the Versys is a much better bike in the corners. I rode both bikes before buying my Mk3 Vs 650.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 AM

Garage
A few years ago I had a ride on the Gladius and was very impressed with the motor. I also had a ride on the ER-6f (now the Ninja 650) on the same day and was quite unimpressed. The Versys motor was much better IMO than the 6f.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I guess my view of top end rush has recalibrated since that month on a versys in MT. Keeping the C14 for my long trips and 2 up comfort for the mrs and looking for cheaper, lighter, used 2nd bike.

The 919 I had has been my favorite example of a bike where I can use all the motor for my style (and fat ass). My favorite bike over the past few years has been the ninja 1000 but hardly is a cheap 2nd bike option as the insurance was a LOT.

Guess I am just going to have to find a used Versys to ride and see if the motor still has the rush I remember compared to the gladius / sv. The weight and handling definitely fit the bill.

Thanks for the input.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:20 AM

Garage
If you are interested (price, power, weight) the Versys 1000 should attract less insurance premiums than the Ninja 1000 I would suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode