Rant :( - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rant :(

Short version: Very bad experience at Modern Motorcycling in Vancouver, BC. The guys are some of the most unprofessional and uncourteous people I have ever met and I have come across too many of them for a lifetime. If you yell at your customers over phone, no wonder you will go out of business.

**Warning: very long winded rant follows below. You still have time to leave this thread**

Long version: I heard that Modern Motorcycling was closing down and had some good clearance sales. I went there for the first time and saw one of the salesmen actually make fun of another customer who had asked a newbie question. The sales man was laughing his guts out and the customer was visibly upset about that. I thought maybe he knows that guy from before (should have trusted my instincts and got out of the shop right there and then). I nonetheless asked the same sales man (whom I later found out was the owner’s son, Aaron) about hard luggage for a 2010 V. He quoted me a very good price on Kappa top box and side cases and Givi mounts. I told him I will let him know.

Went back a week later on a Wednesday afternoon and placed the order. Was told by the same guy that racks/mounts are not in stock but will arrive within a day from Givi as Givi have them in stock. He asked me to drop the bike off on Friday morning to get the setup installed. I phone them on Friday morning to see if the racks have arrived. Told to call back around noon when UPS shipments arrive. Called at 1 p.m. and was told that nothing has arrived and will probably arrive on Tuesday. Upon reminding Aaron of the “one day” shipping, I was told in a very rude tone that he cannot be held liable to his statement because it was I who waited for a week to put the order in so it is my mistake not his (I should have cancelled my order at this time). And the top mount isn’t in stock and he has placed the order from another distributor (even though he told me everything was in stock at the time of taking my order). He told me to drop off the bike on Tuesday morning and pick it up after work.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning and I had to make 5 calls for someone to tell me that one of the mount has come in and the rest of the stuff will “probably” come in on Wednesday. Here comes the interesting part. Aaron comes on the phone and I tell him that their attitude towards customers is very unprofessional. He starts bursting his lungs on the phone and went on a rant of how all of this is my mistake because I didn’t order the stuff a week ago. I said if you had told me that the racks will take a week or so to come in then I wouldn’t be bugging you everyday and I am just expecting you to go by your word. Again I was told that its not his problem that his distributor hasn’t shipped the items yet. He said quite a few more irrational things that aren’t worth repeating.

My parents have taught me to hold my tongue when the person arguing with you steps into the realm of stupidity. So I politely asked him to please cancel my order. Went in to the shop a few minutes later and got my deposit back. And that was the end of it. Sometimes I think I should shed my decency when I come across guys like these but they are not worth it.

While I totally understand that distributors may not ship items on time, but at least show some courtesy and instead of apologizing for the delay, blaming the customer and yelling at a customer is a big no no. I am quite astonished that these guys have been in business for a couple of decades. I Googled them last night and found reviews with similar experiences the most interesting of which were when their mechanic screwed up a guy’s bike and the owner of the store (Aaron’s dad) said it is not his fault that his mechanic screwed up. So he can’t do anything about it. Either they have always been like this are therefore closing down because of that or they don’t care about bad publicity anymore as they are closing down or maybe its both.

This is too long winded…maybe I should condense it but thanks for reading it if you did.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Interesting. I would have cursed him out very loudly in the middle of his store.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Maybe the poor lad did not take his medication? I have been in the retail/service business for over 27 years and the rule to live by is this..

"don't give the customer a reason to complain and they probably won't"

Sounds like they gave you plenty of reasons to complain. 98% of people out there are cool. It's the other 2% I have problems with.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Another nice rule could be......"if you don't take care of the customer than someone else will"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Perhaps this is why they are going out of business.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Perhaps this is why they are going out of business.
Yep.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
datawiz2012, you got more patience than me and thank's for sharing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Exactly why I went halfway across the country to get my bike. Local stealerships are a joke. Luckily I can do my own maintenance because I will never buy a bike from a place with bad customer service no matter how good the price is.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
"My parents have taught me to hold my tongue when the person arguing with you steps into the realm of stupidity."

I think you have made your parents proud by been a good son.

My dad used to say this" If a donkey kicks you, dont kick it back, as it will not make any difference between the ass and you"

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
"My parents have taught me to hold my tongue when the person arguing with you steps into the realm of stupidity."

My dad used to say this" If a donkey kicks you, dont kick it back, as it will not make any difference between the ass and you"

I like that because if you kick the donkey back you will make a ass of yourself
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am glad other members appreciated this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
datawiz2012, you got more patience than me and thank's for sharing.
I inherited this virtue from my mom but unfortunately I do flip out once in a blue moon (I can only absorb so much ) I recently helped my dad build our family home. Didn't hire a builder and subcontracted trades ourselves. It was not an easy task keeping my cool at all times and I did flip out a few times over the course of a year and a half. To make the long story short, I used the "f" word for the second time in my life while the house was being constructed. Why do people find it so difficult to admit their mistakes??!!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

I like the donkey example. I will remember to narrate it to my kids when they grow up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Maybe you should have smiled at Arron and asked: "Were your mom and dad married...?"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately this is becoming all too normal. Not just in business but in the way people act on a daily basis. Courtesy and a sense of ownership for ones own actions are becoming rare.

I order all my own parts/farkles online so I don't have to deal with a "personality". Hopefully some day in the future I will be able to order my motorcycles directly from the manufacturer and skip the dealership completely.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Maybe you should have smiled at Arron and asked: "Were your mom and dad married...?"

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode