Civilian riding on millitary base? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Civilian riding on millitary base?

Does anyone know what the rule is on a civilian working on a military base riding to work?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
stop if instucted or get shot your choice
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thats a good'n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
stop if instucted or get shot your choice
Does a civilian require a special class to ride on a military base? Or is just military that require the class to ride on a base?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Does a civilian require a special class to ride on a military base? Or is just military that require the class to ride on a base?
Probably best to check with the Military Police at the specific Installation. Are you working at the installation or passing through (might make a difference)? Each base may enforce the rules a little differently.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Angst,

Here on Ft. Sill, Ok we have the same requirements as active duty military - safety gear, motorcyle endorsement, MSF Basic Rider Course card and post registration. When registering the bike on post you will need to show drivers license, insurance verification, state registration - pretty much what you would provide to register your car on post. I can only address Ft. Sill requirements but they should mirror all DOD installations. Hope this helps.

Keith
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sparky . . .

I appreciate your input. I will check with the base in question.

Cheers!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Does anyone know what the rule is on a civilian working on a military base riding to work?

In the past, there may be registration required, since people used to have/need base stickers with expiring years on them. Currently, with the advent of the Common Access Card (CAC), one just shows the guard at the gate the CAC and you'll be waved through. I've done this on five bases so far, and my home base is Kirtland AFB. Note that the guards are now required to physically touch the bare card. So you need to pull it out of any plastic sleeve/badge pouch for them. In the near future, in addition, they'll have handheld scanners to read the card.

When you process in, there should be a local base/squad motorcycle saftey officer that will give you a set of brieging charts that show safety and clothing/helmet requirements. As mentioned before, these are standard DoD stuff that applies universally. As far as I know, there is no requirement to have a MSF certification for civilians. But their experience riders course seems to be pretty good. It doesn't hurt to take it.

As they say, an armed society is a polite society. Just ride at speed limit on base and you're golden. The SPs don't bother you unless you get squidly. In Albuquerque, I ride on base for most of my stretch of commute just to avoid the crazies on the surface streets outside.

Peter
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Angst,

Here on Ft. Sill, Ok we have the same requirements as active duty military - safety gear, motorcyle endorsement, MSF Basic Rider Course card and post registration. When registering the bike on post you will need to show drivers license, insurance verification, state registration - pretty much what you would provide to register your car on post. I can only address Ft. Sill requirements but they should mirror all DOD installations. Hope this helps.

Keith
Additionally, I think that the military also requires a high vis mil spec vest to be worn at all times. I see guys on bikes heading out to Lemoore NAS with them on all the time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdaddy View Post
Additionally, I think that the military also requires a high vis mil spec vest to be worn at all times. I see guys on bikes heading out to Lemoore NAS with them on all the time.
Actually, no. DoD spec just requires some form of hi-viz clothing while on the bike. The commerical hi-viz vest (a la Icon) happens to be convenient. I wear my 'Stich or Motoport gear with minimal reflective stripes. The BDUs that the service people wear have no hi-viz patches at all. So they usually wear the Icon type vest or just a mesh crossing guard stuff. One sargent juast wraps some hi-viz tape aroung his backpack, and he wears the backpack on his bike at all times.

Peter
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
Actually, no. DoD spec just requires some form of hi-viz clothing while on the bike. The commerical hi-viz vest (a la Icon) happens to be convenient. I wear my 'Stich or Motoport gear with minimal reflective stripes. The BDUs that the service people wear have no hi-viz patches at all. So they usually wear the Icon type vest or just a mesh crossing guard stuff. One sargent juast wraps some hi-viz tape aroung his backpack, and he wears the backpack on his bike at all times.

Peter
Ahh- thanks for the correction. I assumed that this was the case since I observed so many heading that way with the vests on. I am not in the military so I have actually never rode on base with my bike. Thanks for the heads up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Another thing, if you have a license and are a civilian you'll most likely be good to go (still have to wear some type of reflector vest). Though if they require you to have the MSF course, then most likely they can pay for it too. I received my motorcycle endorsement while in the military and because they required the course, they paid for it.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode