Is the Versys for me? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is the Versys for me?

Hey all, prospective Versys owner here. Current rides are a suzuki DR650 and a yamaha FJR 1300. The feejer sits most of the time because the DR is so much dang fun! I tend to have a bit of hooligan in me and prefer to wheelie away from stop signs, hit the shoulder of the road when blocked by cars, and cross the median or go through a ditch if the need be. Previous bikes including a speed triple and buell xb12s were ok, but lacked the, lets just say "supermoto" abilities like my DR650 does even though I still run a 21 inch tire in the front. My commute involves several rail road crossings and I prefer not to slow down when I cross them and let my plush long travel suspension soak them up and leave the slowing down to the cagers. So, will a Versys with avon distanzas fill my needs or do I need to just go full supermoto conversion on the DR?

Stock Dunlop Trailwings, 1st trip to Deals Gap

Last edited by S3man; 09-01-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
welcome, you need to test ride a versys for your self, it is a great nimble zippy 650 twin and it is most at home on on tight twisty roads, all the best with your decision.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
welcome, you need to test ride a versys for your self, it is a great nimble zippy 650 twin and it is most at home on on tight twisty roads, all the best with your decision.
+1. Test ride one and make you choice and welcome aboard.

&

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM

I would pick up a used KTM 950SM. Leave your DR as a dedicated dualsport. The KTM could probably replace the FJR as a decent sport tourer as long as you don't ride two-up. For commuting and general mayhem there is no better bike than the big SM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I would like to go orange someday, but I am scared of the reliability/maintanence issues with KTMs plus really want to stay lightweight as possible with still a little more grunt than the 650 single. I won't miss the FJR at all, its great for a real touring person that needs big power and 2-up capability with luggage. When I bought the fjr I thought I was headed in that direction, but things aren't working out that way. I really don't do real dualsporting either I mainly just commute and do the occasional small trip or dirt road. I have found that I prefer to trailer the DR to somewhere like Deals Gap than ride either bike 2 states away. I am hoping to get down to one bike that will cover a little bit of it all and the Versys reads like it will do it.

The ultimate do it all dream bike ( at least for now) would be the new/future Triumph adventure tiger cub 675-800cc bike whenever it comes out.

Last edited by S3man; 09-01-2010 at 10:28 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM

S3man, sounds like you ride like I do. Versys should suit you well
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM

The suspension on the Versys is nothing like the DR650. It is tight and stiff and is much closer to a sport bike than a dirt bike, while the DR is the other way around.

For playing the hooligan, the Versys will be well suited. Tires with an aggressive tread will make it happily ride fire and gravel roads, perhaps even a soft shoulder or median.
Just don't expect it to be plush over bumps like the DR. But that is exactly why it is such a brilliant canyon carver, and the DR is not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM

The true Motards, ie Apr SXV, KTM SMR 690, Husky 510 SMR (which I had) are very, very specific target bikes. They are good for very twisty technical roads, and or tracks. I did commute on mine a few times, 36 miles of twisties, but that single wears on you.
I just picked up a Versys this past Saturday and from what I have read and can tell it is gonna be a great commuter, fire road, twisty, good mpg do all. While I save my Super Duke for the track and technical stuff.
The Versys will hold it's on in the twisty stuff, and will embarrass many a boy racer want to be. I posted a pic of one of my riding mates dragging a knee at the track on his Versys, and believe me it's led a hard, hard life. At Deals Gap I've watched him put some high dollar machines to shame.
Worst case after some miles if you need it have Traxxion do the forks and get either an Elko, or Penske rear.
JCIII

82 CB 750F
86 Ninja 600R
92 Seca II
97 CBR 600 F3
98 VTR 1000
02 954 RR
02 FZ1 The original Raven
04 FZ1 Skunk Works
04 CBR 1000RR
04 Futura
04 Tuono Racing
08 Hypermotard
07 KTM Superduke
08 510 SMR
K5 GSXR 1K
07 FZ1
08 KTM Superduke
09 Versys
10 Tiger
11 Speed Triple
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Get one they are good fun easy to use light turns easy very stable its a great barrel of laughs.
all you need is log enough legs as it is a tall bike.
Wheelie,s no pros but not sure about the ditches take out a demo and find out
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Sounds like your going to be happier on something like the Aprilia SXV or a Ducati hypermotard. The cops just hate to give people on V's tickets and you sound like a ticket magnet so get the best bike for the job:-)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Supermoto to DR my brother. You will probably be much happier than switching to the Versys for the riding you do. Not to mention the radical cool factor that comes with a supermoto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode