Is it a Harley or nothing? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Is it a Harley or nothing?

I recently had coffee with a Harley owner and when I told him I had my eye on a Versys ,he said for the money I am spending on a Versys I could buy a used Harley! I do not want a Harley! A 2011 Versys is what I have my eye on! This will be my first bike and I am looking forward to getting one. Do Harley owners realize that not everyone wants to own or can afford a Harley. Has anyone else ever ran into this type of situation?

Last edited by Rocketman; 08-30-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

It happens. There are many close minded riders out there, on all types of bikes. Just part of the "pack" mentality, or "herd". Take your pick. Don't let it get to you. By the bike that tickles your fancy & enjoy the hell out of it. If it's a Versys, great, same if it's a Harley. Of course, on the forum, you'll probably read a lot of us bashing Harleys & Harley riders, but it's mostly tongue in cheek. I think you'll find many riders own sport bikes and cruisers, dirt bikes and street bikes.

I know you said this will be your first bike, but have you ridden a Versys yet?

post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 AM

There is more than just a little divergence of mentality from sports bike riders to HD riders.
I have several friends with RoadKings, another with a classic softail. I would never consider one, they are not the right 'tool' for my 'job' of riding.

I frankly don't think they put a lot of thought into how their bike works for them. I think they see a life-style or dream-state on how they will look on one and that's what they are choosing/buying. They are the first to tell you how 'cool' looking it is, or how bad, or how loud.
One of them told me how a friend bought a HD and then spent seven grand on chrome goodies. Hmmm...more than I paid for my whole bike. Another's is ALL black, the bars, the wheels, everything. It's a 'custom black' road king. Cool looking bike, but it shakes like a paint mixer. He loves it.

Something attracted you to the versys, what exactly was that?
What is your riding experience?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I recently had coffee with a Harley owner and when I told him I had my eye on a Versys ,he said for the money I am spending on a Versys I could buy a used Harley! I do not want a Harley! A 2011 Versys is what I have my eye on! This will be my first bike and I am looking forward to getting one. Do Harley owners realize that not everyone wants to own or can afford a Harley. Has anyone else ever ran into this type of situation?
I've heard this many times. Sadly some Harley riders have this mentality. It doesn't matter if you ride a Versys or a Ducati, I don't think they mean any harm, they are trying to be helpfull. Just take it with a grain of salt.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 AM

I agree with all the above, Harley riders are for the most part rigid in their view of motorcycles; don't waste your time trying to prove the relevance of whatever you chose to them. All they believe in is Harley, which is ok for them; I like to think I am free to ride whatever I want, that's what America stands for anyway.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 AM
djg

It's a matter of taste.

Before I sprung for the V, I was planning a Sportster based hot rod. I still have wheels, exhaust, and a Yamaha R6 front end. In the end, I went with the V, I just like tall skinny parallel twins.

Last edited by djg; 08-31-2010 at 06:59 AM.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Ride what you dig.....

I think for most HD owners its an image thing....I see guys riding bikes with those tall ape hangers and I just don't get it.....to each his own...
When the HD owners raz me about my metric bike I just remind them how it starts every time and not one has left me on the side of the road
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I personaly get a lot of stick from harley riders and my lovely wife bless her heart on a metric cruiser but all water off a duck to this cowboy, hit thoses twisties and see you all later on my mighty 'V'. We have friends who both husband and wife have harleys and the husband passed his old harley down to their 17 year old son to ride when he brought a new one but the V smokes my tyres so whatever you enjoy thats what you should ride, life's to short.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Some buy a bike based on how they think they’ll look on it. Others buy one based on how well it suits the kind of riding they want to do.

I HATE cruising. IMO the only reason to be on a straight section of road is because it’s necessary to get to the next turn.

If I had to keep & ride them, I wouldn’t take two HD’s for my one V.

Of course if I could then sell those HD’s and fill a stable with...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Ride what you like, really. But sometimes it almost saddens me when people will not even consider any other brand/type of motorcycle, because I feel they will never know what different -and possibly better- stuff is out there.

During a break of my MSF course I asked a couple if they already had an idea what kind of bike they wanted. The guy said "Dunno which yet, but it's got to be a Harley".
I asked him if he looked into naked bikes, adventure bikes, sport tourers or inbetweeners like the Honda Nighthawk. He responded "Well, Harleys are all naked and the FLTHCWTF401K with Screaming Eagle kit is pretty sporty. The DOHCXKCD has nice bags so that's what I would look at if I wanted a sport tourer, they say it corners really well with the Suspension Kit!".

I said "cool", wished him luck and held the urge to shake my head until I was sure he wasn't looking.
What a shame, to limit yourself to one brand and think it has all the best solutions.

Anyway, I think in the end he will have gotten what he likes, so that is all that counts.
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
IMO the only reason to be on a straight section of road is because it’s necessary to get to the next turn.
+10

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM

I have a story that sums up perfectly the "average" Harley rider (from my experience)...

When I decided to get back into riding, I took the MSF course. The first night, I sat down in my seat, and to my left was a guy with black "Harley Forever" t-shirt and black Harley hat. The lady to my right was wearing black leather Harley hat and black leather Harley pants. They're both around 50-ish in age.

The instructor asks everyone to introduce themselves and talk about what bike they own (if they do) and what their riding experience was. The guy in full regalia to my left announces that he bought his Harley 3 weeks prior and rode it from the shop to his house. He has no further experience. The woman to my right in leather jeans and Harley hat didn't have a bike. Not just didn't own yet, but she wasn't married to/dating a guy with a bike....nothing.

I completely agree that it's a "herd" mentality. I've never seen such a weird combination of fashion statement, alter ego, pseudo-religion, and instant (though superficial) group belonging that can be obtained by simply purchasing an item. When I lived in Florida, I witnessed countless white-collar men/women who were the most uptight individuals 358 days/year turn into "Easy Rider" during Daytona bike week. A bit pretentious if you ask me....

Tim

P.S. - Only two people fell of their bikes during our MSF course....can you guess which two?
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

A good guess it was not the guy riding a versys
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I agree with all the above, Harley riders are for the most part rigid in their view of motorcycles; don't waste your time trying to prove the relevance of whatever you chose to them. All they believe in is Harley, which is ok for them; I like to think I am free to ride whatever I want, that's what America stands for anyway.
I'm with ya, kind of a funny observation, whenever there's a big Harley group ride around here going down the interstate, along the way you will see Harleys on the side of the road with mechanical issues.
I like Harleys and would have one, shoot, if I could afford too, I have one of everything.
Oh, and the Beull S1 Lightning? that was my idea! big thumping V-Twin with sport bike chasiss and brakes. Ha!

Donn
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM

I do find it funny that the HD crowd need the HD logo slapped on everything they own...I think if they sold a lump of Dog $hit with the HD logo on it they would buy it. I have a fairly large HD dealer in town....the only motorcycle dealer left in the immediate area....I went in looking for some waterproof boots....they had nothing that didn't say HD on it. No jackets, pants shoes...nothing....everything had HD on it...
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM

One point that we sometimes miss on the Harley phenomenom - HD is not really in the business of selling motorcycles. They are really in the business of selling the opportunity for a middle-aged accountant to wear black leather and ride into town and feel like a real badazz.
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Wait a minute as we all bash the HD rider. The OP has his own mind set on a Versys, and will hear nothing of any other option, he "wants a Versys" which is all fine, however he too could be considered close minded to Harleys by the HD rider, no?

Listen we live in an open society where people are allowed to own and ride any bike they want, we shouldn't crap on someone just because they have a loyal following of a brand or type of bike as the same can be said of sport bike and non-cruiser riders as being close minded.
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

marc11, don't some of us are crapping on HD riders just sharing some of our experiances with that particular culture. Met a guy on a brand new GSXr 1000cc on a track day and he told me he was off to buy a HD so when he goes riding with some of his clients who own HD he does not have to ride at the back and they were not joking not sure if its like that in the states but that happens here.
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
marc11, don't some of us are crapping on HD riders just sharing some of our experiances with that particular culture. Met a guy on a brand new GSXr 1000cc on a track day and he told me he was off to buy a HD so when he goes riding with some of his clients who own HD he does not have to ride at the back and they were not joking not sure if its like that in the states but that happens here.
I realize that, my only point is, if you make fun of those riders, or those bikes aren't you putting yourself above them? And then is it okay for them to make fun of our selected bike, gear or riding style? In other words, you run into an HD rider who wears HD clothes and loves the HD product, you think it is funny and make fun of him online, however are you any better if you ride a Kawasaki and refuse to entertain owning or riding an HD? And are you any better by insisting everyone should wear a certain type of gear and you refuse to entertain the notion of anything different?

You (not you specific, the person making fun of the HD rider) are being just as close minded, but in a justifiable way in your mind.

Point is, who cares, live and let live, maybe try to understand another point of view. I am betting if you go to a cruiser only forum there are threads and threads poking fun at us for wearing gear, or riding fast and getting tickets, or ugly uncomfortable bikes, etc.
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM

I disagree...yes we are poking fun but its all done with good humor. Where the HD crowd difference is we (I) see a lot of intolerance on their part for any bike other than a HD. Like we are unAmerican if we don't ride the HD. I will ride with anybody, I don't care what you ride because its the ride that matters not what you rode. If a group I was with forced me to the back because I have metric bike I would find a new group to ride with.
There is nothing wrong with brand loyalty,for off roading I still say there is nothing better than a Jeep but yoy can bet the Toyota, Hummer and Land Rover crowd has something to say about it...oh yeah and I have wheeled with all of them. Its all just light hearted razzing until it gets to a point were people are being excluded or worse. That's when it goes to far and unfortunately the HD crowd (not all) have gone with brand loyalty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode