• 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By waltermitty
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First long ride ride on Seat Concepts...Still in pain

So I just took a long ride yesterday with my new seat concepts and I am still in pain. Not the sharp shooting pain as with the stock seat, but still uncomfortable. I am going to try to raise the front and see if that helps but This seat definitely did not live up to the hype. Now I don't know if i got the right foam. I ordered the standard foam for 160-240lbs (im 190) and this foam is harder than the stock foam.

Any suggestions?

09 Versys
78 Triumph Bonneville 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How long of a ride?

Maybe adding an Airhawk. I find that firm foam is usually more comfortable in the long run than softer foam. I'm still breaking my SC seat in (only about 300 miles on it), and I'm liking it. It doesn't lock me into one position as much as the stock seat. Only advice I can give is.. 'give it time'. Like a new helmet.. it takes some miles for your backside and a new seat to get used to each other. Worst case, go for one of the custom seats. I'm sure you can sell the SC seat here for a slight discount over what you paid for it.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoedog View Post
So I just took a long ride yesterday with my new seat concepts and I am still in pain. Not the sharp shooting pain as with the stock seat, but still uncomfortable. I am going to try to raise the front and see if that helps but This seat definitely did not live up to the hype. Now I don't know if i got the right foam. I ordered the standard foam for 160-240lbs (im 190) and this foam is harder than the stock foam.

Any suggestions?

Give the SC a little break in time. If its still is not what you need then your best bet would be a Russell Day-Long.( $$$ ) Wider area for the butt and just all day comfort. If you're on your tip-toes it will be worse though because the Russell spreads your hips and legs some. But if you slide up to the tank at a stop that will solve the issue.
saddlebag and josucksbuena like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It was about a 3 hour ride. I'll try lifting the front end up and seeing how that goes. Guess I wont need to worry about long ride comfort once I get to Guam.

09 Versys
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 AM

I rode about 1500 miles on the stock seat the weekend I bought it and realized very quickly that there was no way I was going to be happy with it. I went to Sargent and they don't make one for the V1. They could fit their concept to my seat pan but I didn't have time to wait. I tried Russell Day Long but the timing is just wrong and the price was too high for me (though I have not heard anything but good stuff about them).... I ended up with Baldwin Kawasaki Versys Custom Seats - Baldwin Motorbike Saddles He worked out a way to ship me the seat in exchange for my seat pan AFTER I got his and it arrived in about 2 weeks. I rode it for 200 miles Saturday and am very happy with it.

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
(No, it's nowhere near Miami)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Speedy Highway Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoedog View Post

Any suggestions?
Just as the title suggests, I have a 2015, thought the same thing about the stock seat, my 07 I had installed a Corbin. I also had highway pegs on the 07.
What I find is I use the highway pegs almost 90% of the time on the 2015, I went for a 508 KM ride last week, total time in the saddle was 8 hours, I was gone 9.5 hours. Road construction, emergency response blockage , traffic and stopping for fuel and to refuel me took the 1.5 hour difference . I have Rivco highway pegs and Speedy highway mounts, it is like sitting in my lazyboy chair, take my left foot off just to up shift or down shift.I can straight leg and there is sufficient room on the 2015 design to accommodate someone with a 32 inch inseam to straight leg.What I find is I am pushing back into the pillion seat, unless something changes, my plan is to stay with the stock seat, I should mention, my first ride I was using the footpegs 90% of the time, same problem as you described, could hardly walk after.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-16-2016 at 09:06 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM

The problem is your ass, not the seat. I've don't 800 mile days on the stock seat with no problems. I have a Seats Concept seat on the KLR. I fixin' to do 3,000 miles in a week. I will give you a report back.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Raising the front should have no effect as you do not sit on that part except stopped at a light with your feet down. You sit on the wide broad part of the seat with your ass pushed up against the stop that separates the passenger seat. I think part of your discomfort may have to do with your seating position.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
The problem is your ass
Where can one find an aftermarket replacement?
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Where can one find an aftermarket replacement?
That's what I'm wondering too. I think most people that find stock motorcycle seats comfortable are certainly in the minority......and some are a bit condescending about it as well.

The stock seat is way too soft for my normal butt. I've been a big fan of Sargent seats for over 8 years with over 100,000 miles in their saddles. For me, that is what fits me the best......hard and dished. Kind of like those old metal tractor seats that you used to see old men with skinny arses sitting on for 14 hours a day.

I will be ordering a Sargent next week and I expect my comfort to improve. If not, I can send it back.
Mike
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
That's what I'm wondering too. I think most people that find stock motorcycle seats comfortable are certainly in the minority......and some are a bit condescending about it as well.

The stock seat is way too soft for my normal butt. I've been a big fan of Sargent seats for over 8 years with over 100,000 miles in their saddles. For me, that is what fits me the best......hard and dished. Kind of like those old metal tractor seats that you used to see old men with skinny arses sitting on for 14 hours a day.

I will be ordering a Sargent next week and I expect my comfort to improve. If not, I can send it back.
Mike
Mike,

Do you have a 650 or a 1000? I called Sargent and they told me they didn't have a seat for the 1000. I bought a Baldwin.

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyUC View Post
Mike,

Do you have a 650 or a 1000? I called Sargent and they told me they didn't have a seat for the 1000. I bought a Baldwin.
Mine is a 650. I wasn't sure if the OP had a 650 or 1000. Sorry for any confusion. If enough people bug Sargent they will eventually make one for the 1000.
Mike
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
Mine is a 650. I wasn't sure if the OP had a 650 or 1000. Sorry for any confusion. If enough people bug Sargent they will eventually make one for the 1000.
Mike
Yes, they will... But for now it's a matter of them building a sergeant seat on your seat pan. Which I would have done if they could have working in my timeframe. So not I have the Baldwin and am pretty happy with it.

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Where about is the pain in your butt?
This can change what is really the cause of your butt hurt.

I put a Seat Concepts with Heavy Duty foam on my Mk2 Versys as my butt was sore after 250km (350 with airhawk R).
With the Seat Concepts that increased to 450km (and 700km with my AirHawk R used).

I'm a big bloke and have a fat butt... my pain is the meat under the bones right where the butt becomes the top of the rear thigh. right in the crease - no the crack!

It is the width of the seat that is my problem.

I recently added to my stable a 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 for long trips and the stock seat is actually thinner than the Versys - but is more comfortable as it is wider. I was shocked and suprised. I rode 5 days and covered 2600km with out using my Airhawk R. I could not do this on the Versys. I rode 1133km in 24 hours on the Versys 650 with Airhawk R and I was in almighty butt pain at 900km and it took me 2 days to recover.

So I am saying you need a wider seat so you spread the weigh across and not concentrate it on the bones you sit on.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I know that I've mentioned 'raising the front of the seat' w/ pics a few times, and have over 110,000 miles among three Vs w/ raised seats.

Just rode to Alberta last Tuesday (10 hours - 800 kms), then back yesterday from further E in Alberta (11 hours, 9+ of those in rain - about 900 kms) on my '15. As well as a raised seat, I have lowered footpegs, and my butt was FINE both ways! (5'10" w/ 31" inseam, 180# PLUS ATGATT gear.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With the original seat all the pressure was on my tail bone so it was a really sharp pain after about 30-45 mins. I got the seat concepts and it helped to take pressure off my tail bone but it would still get sore after a while.

This last weekend I spent about 4 bucks at lows for 2 bolts, 2 1/4'' and 2 1/2" nylon spacers and a 4in strap brace that was already drilled and fit perfect and raised the seat and it was an immediate improvement. It took the pressure off my tailbone all together and spread it all out. I still got a little sore but that is due to how hard that seat concepts foam is (they still haven't responded to my question on the foam and me trying to confirm I got the right hardness). But I think with raising the seat will make it work fine when I get over to Guam. Worst case scenario I will get a pad for longer rides.

09 Versys

Last edited by smoedog; 05-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 PM

I have a lot of lower back mechanical injuries and was worried about the seat, I'm also heavier than you are but am also pretty solid. Here are recommendations I have:
* Is the bike fully broken in? I think I JUST really got there at 4k miles but it's been noticably more comfortable every ~200 miles along the way. Around 4k was a massive improvement.
* Break in your seat, man. It's science, not witchcraft.
* Break in your ass, man. You can't just hop on a horse and ride it for a day, don't think you can do the same w/ your bike.
* Pay close attention to your ergo. Adjust ride height/suspension if necessary and make sure you're where you need to me. For me, this is far FORWARD on the seat. For others, it's far back.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM

I hear ya. I have the SC for three years now and I feel the same: it is not that comfy. My next step would be a Russell Day-Long, but it's a lot of dough without knowing if I will love it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode