Is it me or is it the bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it me or is it the bike?

3000 kms on the 2010 now and either I have got used to the vibes or they have decreased with the engine's maturity

I hope that when I put in synthetic oil at next change, the vibes reduce even further.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

I've owned two Versys and I do believe the engine smooths out after a few thousand miles.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I've owned two Versys and I do believe the engine smooths out after a few thousand miles.

I'm almost up to 3000 miles, and I agree
The engine seems a bit smoother and a bit more powerfull (two unsolicitated wheelie so far ... Cooooooooooool)

LOP

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM

I guess I'm the exception. I've got over 11k miles and to me it feels less powerful and same amount of vibes.

I'm guessing the less power is just cause I'm used to it. It's felt that way for many months now.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
12K Kms and feeling good each time I take a ride. Its all about coming to terms with what you have and not expecting too much.IMHO

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Anyone ever notice the bike seems smoother with a full tank of gas? Maybe some vibration dampening qualities to gasoline.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Been really lucky so far 17,000 miles and vibes not much of a problem and no dreaded cowl buzzing. However, just swapped out a set of Avon Distanzias for some Pirelli Angel STs. (Avons worked well but won't really be going off road till at least next summer)
I think I'm feeling a bit more vibes. Not a balance issue since this feeling is at any speed. Like the beginning of the thread, can tires make a difference or am I just imaging this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Garage
I somewhat noticed a bit of vibes and buzzing just after getting my V. I was VERY nervous after reading on here. However after about a month I hardly noticed it at all, and before that didn't get bothered by them. I believe it is all compared to what a person is used to. If they drive a high end car there are no rattles or vibes. I drive a truck that gets used hard. I am used to little noises and stuff, to the point were I don't notice there existence.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Whoa, I was thinking the same way. It is so smooth now compared to the first 500 miles that I was not sure. I did some tweaking on the suspension and the bags added weight so was not sure. I think it is smoother than my FJR was.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 PM

What vibration? ALL vehicles vibrate to some degree. It's all relative to what you're used to and what you like. The V really doesn't vibe that much.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM

ronniewill

Maybe yours doesn't vibe enough to bother u-But mine is another story.Got a 2010 about 3 weeks ago and I can't ride for ten minutes without my hands going to sleep and tingling like crazy.Been looking at all solutions possible to try and get the vibes down.I have 1300 miles so far and will be putting in some amsoil synthetic in few days( the amsoil rep said it is ok to start out with their syn oil in a brand new engine)Don't know about that but I think 1300 miles is ok to. Went with a 44 rear tooth-everyone on this site was correct-its great, what a difference,Only problem is my bike starts the vibes right around 5000 rpm's and thats the range where this engine is the most fun to ride. If the synthetic and a few more miles don't help I'll have to go crazy because I love everything else about this bike.Also put on the new Leo Vince slip on.What a awesome pipe. Had a 08 V with a two Bro's and it didn't sound nearly as good.If anyone has any suggestions on vibe solutions please help.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM

I have read so many posts on vibrations, I almost don't bother reading them, so excuse me if I missed these two points.

A decent pair of riding boots completely eliminates the vibes in the pegs; I rode with tennis shoes yesterday, and I noticed the vibes. I have 14,700 miles on mine so it should definately be "broken in".

Second, if your handlebars seem to vibrate, make sure you have done all the foam fixes to the cowls and headlight surrounds. That all but eliminated mine.

I rode a few months without the bar ends, because I liked the feel of the bars narrower, and actually liked the type of vibration for sport riding. Call it engine feedback if you will. Then I put them back on to sell the bike(didn't sell it), and that really will make you appreciate the bar end balancers.

Just my two cents, the Versys is such a fantastic machine, I appreciate it more as the miles fly by.

My Album:
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM

I think my bike did get a little smoother as I put on some miles. Also adding farkles adds mass and this helps soak up the vibes. But the bike was pretty darn smooth to begin with.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
What vibration? ALL vehicles vibrate to some degree. It's all relative to what you're used to and what you like. The V really doesn't vibe that much.
Yep, seriously. I've owned inline 4's that vibrated more. It's a pretty smooth motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniewill View Post
Maybe yours doesn't vibe enough to bother u-But mine is another story.Got a 2010 about 3 weeks ago and I can't ride for ten minutes without my hands going to sleep and tingling like crazy.
The 2010 is supposed to relieve what buzzing there is with rubber mounts, right? Have you talked to your dealer? What about asking your dealer to synchronize the throttle bodies, and check the torque on the motor mounts?

Good luck.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 AM

I've noticed the engine does seem to smooth out with more miles.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM

I think DW nailed it. "Farkles" or the luggage and metal racks I added helped to dampen the vibes on my bike. Tuning the suspension helped a little. Even correct tire pressure would help some I'm sure. I think a few miles break in helps.
The V is a great bike but it does have some engine vibration. I've ridden plenty of bikes and vibration is a part of some of them, but then others are so smooth you could balance a quarter on the tank when at idle.
The good thing is that the bike is smooth now. Vibration at 5k was pretty much what I was noticing, and it still is a point where you feel it. I just ride past it or under as best I can. The bike is too much fun not to ride, and it is very smooth other than that rpm point.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Have heard a lot about vibrations on this forum to and fix most of those silly vibrations but had a ride recently on a friends v twin moto guzzi and man talk about vibration from side to side, the mirrors were having a seizure, getting back on my horse felt so smooth after that, all about what our expectations are to, I drive a 2.5 ltr diesel utility and a glorified roller skate a 1300cc suzuki swift that feels every bump on the road so not very fussy about vibration/noise but each to there own.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
djg

About 1200 miles on an '09. I have significant handlebar vibes. I tried Rox rubber damped risers, helped with the RH mirror but not LH, can see cars, but can't tell if they're cops. I have read Invader's posts and I may pursue different aluminum fat bars. I am running mirror extenders.

Edit: I just rode into work at freeway speeds, and mirror vibes are definitely better now, at 5K RPMS or above.

Last edited by djg; 09-01-2010 at 05:58 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

My 10 V was very buzzy when new (handle grips at 4500 rpm, foot pegs at 5500 rpm). The dealer had delivered it with hand guards, and removed the bar weights. I put the bar weights back on, and reduced the handle grip vibration. After 500 miles the vibration reduced further, and I mostly don't notice it now. I good pair of gloves further reduced what I felt in my hands.

My 09 V smoothed out a lot after 1200 miles. It ran even smoother and shifted smoother after switching to synthetic oil (AmsOil).

Make sure you've got good riding gear, break-in the bike at high rpm, and enjoy it. It'll just get better everytime you climb on.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Agree! I have 14000 miles and it is definitely smoother than at 1000 miles.

And grip puppies help too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode