First service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
First service

My V already has over 700 miles. The dealer said bring it in at 500 to change the oil and check it over. What's the average price for tis service? Going to call to make an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
A little over a hundred bucks if i remember correctly
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

You only pay for the OIL & Filter, service should be FOC under warranty service.
That's the way its done here.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 AM

First Service is $250 at my dealer regardless of motorcycle. It is on their pricing chart in the lobby. I didn't do it on mine. I changed my own oil and looked it over good and kept riding.

Don't see how a flat fee is fair since some bikes need valves adjusted and some don't. $250 for an oil change seems like a rip to me.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM

Do it yourself! Even at $100 it is a rip off. All of the things they are going to check should have been checked by them when you bought it 700 miles ago!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Just a dump question here:-

If you do the first service yourself wont you default the warranty terms.

Here it is important that you do the first service at the dealers or should anything happen to the bike or car, warranty is off.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
If you do the first service yourself wont you default the warranty terms.
I dont think so. In the USA, there are laws in place to protect the consumer. You can do the maintnenance yourself or use any mechanic. The important thing is to keep records & reciepts of replacable items such as oil, filter, coolant etc.

BTW, I have owned several bikes and have never needed warranty repair. I figure, If its gonna break bad, its gonna do it in the first year. I never buy extended warranties on anything, ever, period... I bank my money and if ever needed, I'll just pay for the repair/replace.

Cheers!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll call and find out....
For around here they can't deny you warranty service if you can show the service was done..basically a receipt for the oil and filter.
I'm going to call the dealer today and find out what they charge if its too high I'm doing myself, the dealer is over an hour away and I would wait for it to be done so basically its killing half a day of work for me.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know the filter number is in like a Fram or Wix Oil filter???
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Garage
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM

The K&N oil filter is a KN-303.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

Super thanks more than I could have asked for...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM

180 english, a rip off but I want the warrenty

I have to pay this for the next 2 years unless theres an independant who can do it for less
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I dont think so. In the USA, there are laws in place to protect the consumer. You can do the maintnenance yourself or use any mechanic. The important thing is to keep records & reciepts of replacable items such as oil, filter, coolant etc.

BTW, I have owned several bikes and have never needed warranty repair. I figure, If its gonna break bad, its gonna do it in the first year. I never buy extended warranties on anything, ever, period... I bank my money and if ever needed, I'll just pay for the repair/replace.

Cheers!
Thanks for the feed back Capn Kirk.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
You only pay for the OIL & Filter, service should be FOC under warranty service.
That's the way its done here.

Not in the USA, all services from day one are at the owners expense. Also, as stated above, in the USA you can perform any service yourself and not void your warranty so long as the service was done correctly. You do not have to use Kawasaki parts either.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM

3 quarts of oil and a OEM filter - 2.1 with filter change, most use a little more to center in the sight-glass. Save the receipts and the end-tab off the filter box. The only other filter I personally would use is a hiflow-filtro. If there's a purolator that would probably work as well, they are not horrible. The OEM filter is like $8 online so it doesn't make much sense to use something else.

The first oil change should get done at 600 - or less. A lot of us did them at about 250, again about 1000 with a filter. The first oil collects all the break-in wear particles and I was surprised how dirty it was. Most of us use dino oil 'till about 1500, then switch to synthetic, or third change.

The rest of the first service by the book is:
adjust the clutch - it shouldn't be out of adjustment but you can do it yourself as well
Idle adjust - an easy DIY, just eyeball the tach
Coolant level check - eyeball it yourself
Chain adjust - another DIY
Check for loose fasteners - also a DIY

$250 for this is absolutely ridiculous.
None of my new vehicles, bikes or cars, go back to a dealer unless the service is free or there is a warranty claim. We call them 'stealers'.

BTW, I was looking over my bike early on and noticed the rear wheel didn't look quite centered. Checked the index marks on the axle adjust plate and sure enough, they had counted wrong, was almost a full mark off. Sheesh.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM

If there is a good independent shop near you, they can also do the service. This can be a good option even if you will be tackling a lot of the routine maintenance items yourself. You then have a resource should any issues come up, and also a place to get tires mounted, valves adjusted, etc. Maybe you want to do all that stuff as well, everybody has their own comfort level.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
BTW, I was looking over my bike early on and noticed the rear wheel didn't look quite centered. Checked the index marks on the axle adjust plate and sure enough, they had counted wrong, was almost a full mark off. Sheesh.
Dang!!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Hey CJBrown & CapnKirk, I know chain slack adjustment is mentioned in another thread, but the marks on where the tire is alligned on the back...well, isn't it okay for them to be a smidge off?

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Hey CJBrown & CapnKirk, I know chain slack adjustment is mentioned in another thread, but the marks on where the tire is alligned on the back...well, isn't it okay for them to be a smidge off?
My honest answer is "I dont know if a smidge is OK". Mine look the same because I am anal about mechanical things. When I loosened mine, I kept the number of turns on the two bolts exactly the same and they ended up staying the same on both side best I could tell.

This video seems like the guy knows what he is doing and he suggests measuring from the swingarm pivot point back to the axle bolt. Makes sense to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode