For only $1,400 more than......... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For only $1,400 more than.........

the Versys why shouldn't one buy the 2010 Aprilla Shiver 750 which is lighter, has better styling and performance, is more technically advanced, comes standard with significantly higher end parts and has a 90 HP ( 80 @ the rear wheel) V -twin engine?? Just askin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 PM

For one thing, try and get parts or service out on the road. If that's what you want, go for it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM

You should buy what ever you want whenever you want.

If i held back from buying a bike because i asked some lame question on a messagage board there wouldn't be 13 bikes in my garage.

buy it and enjoy it for it's differences.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 PM

The Aprilia is beautiful; if you want it, get it!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM

The Shiver is a very nice bike, rides nicely too. A couple of friends I ride with bought one. One sold it after a few months the other still has his. They both agree on most things, but whether it suits you or not depends what you want to do with this bike. If you want to travel off the beaten path (and I don't mean off road, just away from frequent stops) the Shiver has a limited range both due to gas tank size and comfort (ergos+no screen). If you only do short(ish) day rides, it's a kick to ride. Not so much fun after a full day in the saddle.

Go ride one and see if it fits you or not.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Lovely bike, but parts can be a bear to get. I hear it is getting better now that Piaggio owns Aprilia. Apparently, they are warehousing parts in the US somewhere, and that is helping with parts availability and accessibility.

I am liking the look of the Shiver GT, and the Dorsoduro... a lot. However, the V is just so damn good at so many things, it is proving very difficult to find a better all round bike. I have yet to find one.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
the Versys why shouldn't one buy the 2010 Aprilla Shiver 750 which is lighter, has better styling and performance, is more technically advanced, comes standard with significantly higher end parts and has a 90 HP ( 80 @ the rear wheel) V -twin engine?? Just askin.
How many people on here paid retail for there V?

Doubt your finding the Shiver discounted.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Because it is $1400 more, so for $3000 more you can get a ZX6, or for $8000 more a BMW SS1000R or for.....see the point? There isn't one, you buy what you want for a price you can afford, everything else is meaningless.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Uh, wouldn't that be a question for the folks on the Aprilia forums? They did spend the extra bucks, after all.

Whit
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Shiver is lighter than the Versys. Aprilia says it weighs 418 lb. dry. The Versys used to be advertised at 399 dry. Now the V is listed at about 454 with a full tank. The only riding weight I could find for a Shiver is an old Motorcyclist test that lists it at 487 lbs. with a full tank.

And that's 3.4 gals of gas in the Shiver and 5 gals in the Versys.

So the Shiver is over 30 lbs heavier and when you add in difference of 1.6 gals of gas, it makes it closer to 40+ lbs.

The Versys is cheaper, lighter, has more dealers and more available accessories, and just plain works! I've been riding for 45 years, and this is the all-around best motorcycle I've ever had.

But if you want a Shiver, go for it. I'd suggest riding each one first.

Michael
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM

For a few thousand less than I spent on my V, I could get a flat-screen TV.

For about 75K more than I spent on my V, I could get a Porsche Panamera.

For about the same price as I spent on my V, I could get a really nice road bicycle.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Don't take me wrong I wasn't lobbying for anyone, including myself, to run out and buy a Shiver. I was only trying to provoke some reasons why the Shiver isn't considered more often as a viable alternative to the V. For me it would be the the non-availability of parts and dealers to deal with problems when they arose. Nevertheless, I still believe that for the difference in price between the two bikes you get a lot more upscale parts and technology - - - hence more value - - - with the Shiver for not that much more money. Doubt I would have said that before the significant price increase Kawasaki laid on us with the 2010 version. Just my opinion.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Try finding hard bags for the shiver.

nuff said.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

I think the Shiver is more appropriately compared to an SV650 nekkid. If you're going to compare an Aprilia to the Versys, it'd be the Pegaso.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Because I ride all year in most weather conditions. I can't afford an R1200RT, GS, Multistrada, even a Concours or an FJR for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I truly love the Versys, wonderful motorcycle. If I had a little more cash in my pocket, I would probably upgrade to a more feature rich bike. But the bottom line is that in my opinion you cannot find another bike that is so...versatile, for such a low price.

Mike
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM

As a former very satisfied Ape rider (their maxis), I took a good long look at a 09 Mana 850, with hard cases, that my local dealer had for $8k. Nice design, great power, and auto to boot! What shifted me towards the Versys was the servicing issue; I like riding in places where there isn't an Aprilia shop within 150-200 miles. Even with parts now more readily available, the marque simply no longer meets my needs.

That being said, I'm glad I found the Versys; properly set up, it fits my size and style perfectly.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM

I think you have to factor in what you can purchase the bikes for. I paid $5300 for my Versys...brand spankin' new. Even if there was an Aprillia dealer anywhere within 200 miles of my house, I don't think I could get a Shiver for only $1400 more.

I love European bikes. If I could have afforded it, I'd have picked up a used Multistrada from one of the lucky stiffs upgrading to the 1200. But even the used Multis were going for $9000.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

What's a good Tiger go for? Why not add 3k and get one of those. It's all in what you can afford.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
It's all in what you can afford.
You can't buy something more than you can afford, but you can buy something less than you can afford. I think the Versys does so much for what it costs that many of us choose not to spend more. That leaves money left over for gas and tires and farkles.

Spending more doesn't always offer a proportional return on the added expenditure.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrose View Post
The reason I didn't buy a Shiver (and I have test ridden one) is that I couldn't get one for $1,400 than the $5,300 I paid for a Versys, it's not significantly lighter (if at all), the styling is not a big issue to me pro or con...

But the real reason I bought a Versys is because my particular needs called for a lightweight, inexpensive, build-it-myself sport-tourer I could take on trips like the one below, and I couldn't do that with the Shiver's range, lack of wind protection and lack of luggage options. For someone just kicking around town, with different needs, the Shiver might make a great choice.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode