Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Rear Rack Info

11K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I am looking at a few different options for luggage for my 09 Versys. Just want some feedback from guys who have these and if the pieces are worth it.

Side Cases: I already own a pair of Kappa K33 hard bags from a previous bike (same style as Givi V35). So I could just get a rack for those.

Guys who have the hard bags on their Versys', does it make the bike feel any different?

HOWEVER,

I was thinking about possibly doing a rear top case by itself as I rarely take any kind of overnight trips (maybe once a year) and with the top case the bike would remain slimmer.

Now I see that there is an OEM rack that Kawasaki made for the first gen. But does that mean that only Kawasaki branded top cases will fit that rack?

I could do the Givi top rack but it seems like I would have quite a lot of cash tied up after purchasing the rack and top case.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the LT factory bags on my 2015. No difference in feel either with or without wind and at highway speeds. I have a friend who used a Pelican case for his top box. He drilled and tapped the factory hand grabs. He then placed flat aluminum bars stock inside the pelican case through which he bolts the case onto the grab rails. It looks good and is removable. He used black anodized flat phillips screws so that when the case is off he caps off the tapped holes for a finished look.

#3 ·
How have I not seen your bike around town? I thought I owned the only green 09 Versys around.
Anyway, I've got a SWMotech EVO side racks and top rack. I like them for what they are but the SWMotech racks are 1-2 inches wider than Givi racks. The V35s use the PLX racks so they should be even thinner.
No problems with handling. Obviously you can tell there is some weight back there when riding, it tends to squat a little when loaded heavy, but it's actually less noticeable than having it up higher like a top box. Side to side you can't tell if the boxes are on or not while riding. I think it handles better with the weight down low on the sides verses up high on the rear. The biggest issue for me to deal with as far as luggage goes is throwing my leg over the seat. The side mounted boxes are easier to do that then a top mounted box, so if you are taking short trips and mounting/dismounting often it may be something to consider.
I guess in short I'm saying, handling won't be an issue either way, you will get used to it. You won't be splitting lanes and the V35s are no wider than the handlebars so width may not be an issue and the side mounted boxes make it easier to mount/dismount the motorcycle.
I believe the v35s will hold a ff helmet so that's a plus. If your V35s are in good condition, I would just buy a rack for them and enjoy, if later on you find you need a rear rack, you can always add it.

#4 ·
I never noticed a difference in ride with the V35s with the one exception. I put a 25 lb bag of pet food in one saddlebag and noticed it when I entered a curve on that side. Should have bought two bags and kept the load even.

I prefer the saddlebags over the trunk, but like the option of doing one or the other or both.

The Kawasaki racks are made to use the Givi bags and trunks. The Kawasaki bags are Givi bags.

#5 · (Edited)
On my '08 and '09 I run/ ran FIELDSHEER soft bags, then went to TUSK-type aluminum panniers, LARGE ones, while my '15 is a 650LT w/ Kawi hard cases (GiVi).

LOVE the TUSK bags, and I'm pondering putting a set onto the '15... instead of the OEM ones!

Oh yah - never had a problem riding in winds, rain, etc w/ ANY of the set-ups...!

>:)

#6 · (Edited)
I have Givi PLX 447 side racks for my two Givi V35 sides & Givi PLX FZ 447 (with M5 Monokey plate) for the Givi V46 rear, I highly recommend this setup. Installs, fits, and looks like it came from the factory this way! Rides excellent, very stable and secure. No wind drag or noise. I try to keep weight distribution even for obvious reasons & so I find it works very well. The fit, finish and function of the material from the racks to the cases is very high.

Attachments

#7 ·
My 11 V came to me with some cloth side bags and a Shad top case. If I had to pick/choose, I would say go with some side luggage and skip the top case. I think the top case really destroys the looks and lines of the Versys. Just my $0.02

#8 · (Edited)
I'm new so the only place I could post this was the new member introduction area. Here is my post that has pictures of a happy-trail.com top case I installed on my 2015 Versys 650. I have not noticed any negative issues with handling since I installed the case; actually the opposite, because now I don't need to wear a backpack which got annoying on longer rides.

Versys 650 custom install top case

The looks of the case are very utilitarian, not rounded and flowing like the OEM Kawasaki stuff. I'm primarily concerned with function and cost, so this option works well for me.

I have plans to wire up some small running lights on the back of the case to make me more visible.

I incorrectly said that the cost of the rack materials was $23. It was actually only $13, I had forgotten that I also bought 4 pad locks when I bought the steel and bolts.

So not including the tools and my time, the top case and rack cost me ~$313 dollars. Shipping on the top case itself was free.

The rack was quite easy to make. It could be done with a harbor freight hand drill, a harbor freight sawzall, and a cheap harbor freight welder. If you buy harbor freight tools don't forget to use a 20% off coupon. That drops the price of the welder down by over $30 bucks. The coupons are easily found by searching with google for "20% harbor freight". You don't even need to print it out...just show it to them on your phone and they'll type in the code.

You can buy the steel at a Home Depot/Lowes/Tractor supply and lots of hardware stores. It'll probably be about double what I paid for mine, because I have a fantastic discount metal store local to me. However it's still going to be way cheaper than buying a pre-made rack. The most expensive part is the welder, but honestly you might be able to use that for other things, and the welder itself is tiny, smaller than a loaf of bread. Easy to store in a closet for future use. In the past I picked up a nice welder for $75 from a pawn shop and it was a lincoln, but it required 240 volts and it was super heavy and big. I didn't use it often, but when I needed it the thing was invaluable. There were no harbor freight stores near me way back then. Now if I were to need a small arc welder I'd probably get the harbor freight inverter model I linked above and just buy a extended warranty on it.

I could probably also build some side racks for side bags, but at this point I don't need them. I need a louder horn and more lighting up front, and some better riding gear. I could use a GPS holder though, and I could probably build that pretty easily with basic tools and some mild steel. Maybe a drink holder too, where I could pull over quickly in a parking lot and get a drink without getting off the bike.

Rubber side down.

Dan

#15 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I am looking at a few different options for luggage for my 09 Versys. Just want some feedback from guys who have these and if the pieces are worth it.

Side Cases: I already own a pair of Kappa K33 hard bags from a previous bike (same style as Givi V35). So I could just get a rack for those.

Guys who have the hard bags on their Versys', does it make the bike feel any different?

HOWEVER,

I was thinking about possibly doing a rear top case by itself as I rarely take any kind of overnight trips (maybe once a year) and with the top case the bike would remain slimmer.

Now I see that there is an OEM rack that Kawasaki made for the first gen. But does that mean that only Kawasaki branded top cases will fit that rack?

I could do the Givi top rack but it seems like I would have quite a lot of cash tied up after purchasing the rack and top case.
Most of the time I ride with just the top case, and I haven't noticed any issues with the handling.

The OEM top rack is from SW-Motech. It will work with any Givi case. It will not work with the OEM side racks, or with any Givi-made racks. Kawasaki made the top and side racks incompatible on the first-gen V's. Best bet for racks is to stay within manufactuer (all SW Motech, all Givi/Kappa, etc). Note that Givi and Kappa are interchangable.

Lours, here you go: PLX & FZ racks, they are designed to be used together or separate, works great both ways. hope it helps!
That's actually the OEM racks (marked PLX by Kawasaki). It can work, but it can be a p-i-t-a to install. I have the setup with the Givi/Kappa non-OEM PLX rack (doesn't replace the handrails) , Lours, and it works well.:thumb:

Closeup of the shared attachment point for the top and side racks:

Loaded up

Dave C

#17 · (Edited)
That was taken a few years ago, but it's still in good shape. I've added/upgraded a few farkles since then (sw-motech engine guard, Speedy's handlebar riser, Aprilla mirrors, K46 top case). The handguards are Powermadd using ATV mounts.

If you want pictures of anything, let me know.

#18 ·
Mine's a '15 and I just want a rack (no case). Has anyone tried one of these Fehling racks? It looks like exactly what I want, but when I look at the photo, I have no idea how that thing is going to be attached without some kind of mods. However, I asked Fehling to send me the directions so I could check it out, and they only replied that the rack is designed to be put on the third generation bikes without any modifications whatsoever.

Any experiences? Thanks.

Rear rack Fehling Kawasaki Versys 650 15-16 black

#19 ·
FastEddie..... how did you mount the Tusk panniers? I current run a small set of Givi E21's which use the standard Monokey mounts. I was thinking about moving up to the TusK mediums for more room and durability... I've done a little looking around and so far the only mention I've read of Givi Monokey compatibility is to use the Caribou DIY mounting kit.

#20 ·
" Mine's a '15 and I just want a rack (no case). Has anyone tried one of these Fehling racks? It looks like exactly what I want, but when I look at the photo, I have no idea how that thing is going to be attached without some kind of mods. However, I asked Fehling to send me the directions so I could check it out, and they only replied that the rack is designed to be put on the third generation bikes without any modifications whatsoever.

Any experiences? Thanks."

I just looked at their pics - a piece mounts INSIDE the passenger grab-rails on each side w/ 2 bolts, ONE of which is the FRONT bolt for the rack, while the SECOND bolt for the rack is attached to the END of the piece I mentioned (where you can see a nut). Looks PDG to me.

" FastEddie..... how did you mount the Tusk panniers? I current run a small set of Givi E21's which use the standard Monokey mounts. I was thinking about moving up to the TusK mediums for more room and durability... I've done a little looking around and so far the only mention I've read of Givi Monokey compatibility is to use the Caribou DIY mounting kit."

I used a GiVi rack which I believe I said the model number for, in my original thread. Then I got some 'mounts' from Twisted Throttle to attach the Tusks to the GiVi racks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.