'09 ride review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'09 ride review

I traded my XRL650l in for an '09 Versys and now have a thousand miles on it. I thought that would be a good time to reflect on my trade. Am I happy? Extremely happy! At 6' 2" and 250 lbs , the bike is compact but I don't feel cramped. I could lower the pegs but don't feel it's a must. The only complaint is the seat. At about an hour, my butt is screaming for relief. That will be fixed this winter after I figure out the best route to take. I had the cowling buzz at 200 miles but my dealer put some plastic buttons around the cowl and it's gone.
What do I like? The bike handles perfect at slow speed and tight quarters maneuvers make you look like a trials rider. Faster speeds on our bumpy VT roads are easy. I'm sure I could play with the suspension but I'm happy with it just the way it is. The bike is quiet and compared to a thumper, electric smooth. The clutch and tranny work flawlessly. It's fast enough to have fun but not get you into trouble. It'll handle dirt roads and rough pavement no problem. I guess the bike is just confidence inspiring. It'll handle anything any a sane person can throw at it.
Don't like the seat. In fairness, most bike seats get torturous after an hour for me and it's easily fixed. I still search for 7th gear occasionally and you do get plenty of shifting experience with the Versys. Everything aside, the Versys is the most fun bike I've ever had. A bike you get on and ride to feel good and relax. Won't scare you and no suprises. What more could you want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Nice concise review.

What are these plastic buttons the dealer put in around the cowl?

Where in Vt are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Hello, great report. You might consider a 43 tooth rear sprocket to cure the 7th gear thing. It will still have plenty of pull in 1st. Still loft the front wheel no problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Don,t search for 7th gear, pun on a gear indicator and nice write up and review.

Ride safe and be safe.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure on the plastic buttons. After complaining to my dealer, kawasaki authorized the dealer for 1 hour labor to fix the buzz. I actually pointed the service manager to this site as he said Kawasaki originally was going to do nothing. He saw the fixes described here and that what he said he used. I think they are the adhesive buttons like you put on cabinet doors. Had it fixed at central vermont motorcycles. The buzz was embarassing around town but it's totally gone now. I live in Mendon, just down from Killington. Have yet to see another Versys on the road. I do get asked what it is a lot.....Rather than trying to explain, I just tell them "a lot of fun". I figure if you have to ask.............................
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 PM

I get the idea of what the "buttons" are, it sounds like they work well.

I'm in Waitsfield, close to the App Gap and I can be found there rather often. If you want to see another Versys on the road just let me know and we can meet up somewhere.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode