Anyone come from a VFR? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone come from a VFR?

I've got an 01 VFR that I really like--sold a Vstrom to get it. But I keep reading more and more about your Versys that I'm really interested in getting one. Would have to trade or sell the VFR--wife says only 1 bike.

Anyone have any thoughts? Pro or con, lemme know what your experience is. Do you miss the VFR? Never looked back? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancon View Post
I've got an 01 VFR that I really like--sold a Vstrom to get it. But I keep reading more and more about your Versys that I'm really interested in getting one. Would have to trade or sell the VFR--wife says only 1 bike.

Anyone have any thoughts? Pro or con, lemme know what your experience is. Do you miss the VFR? Never looked back? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
What do you really like about the VFR? What would you like different?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM

I was soooo close to buying a vfr... too much forward lean for me.... the wife really does get over having 2 bikes... just tell her you need to try it out then get rid of one.. worked for me.... the versys is great I did need to make mods to fit me..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM

I had an 01 also and loved it. The bike just has lots of character and the sound of that gear whine V4 cant be beat. Any comparison between the VFR and the Versys is kind of apples and oranges.
The VFR beats the Versys hands down on power and wind protection.
The VFR is a more substantial and has a better fit and finish.
The Versys wont throw you off the back but its got plenty of get up and go to make passes
Handling is comparable but the Versys is and does feel lighter and its more flickable but its not as stable.
General fun, Versys
All day/week comfortable, for me the Versys
Simplicity and ease to work on Versys
Dependability ? Probably the Versys just because its a lot simpler and a lot less technology but the Honda is pretty much bullet proof with a few exceptions.

I was looking for something with a more upright riding position that I could take on long trips. Throw in some occasional gravel and dirt roads. Dependable and fun. Easy to work on...

The Versys fits the bill. Do I miss the VFR ? Yes, Do I regret buying the Versys ? No
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 AM

VFR:

Better single touring
Interstate missile
More aggressive seating position (although easier to take at speed because lower windscreen airflow supports your chest)
More comfortable at speed
Heavier, can be tricky in slow traffic
100HP
Faster (140-150 MPH and feels like about 60)
Power flow incredibly smooth. Torque consistent throughout RPM range
Gear Driven Cams up until 2002 (REALLY cool sound!)
Single side swingarm (Looks cool, easy tire changes)
1998-on...fuel injection

Amazing bikes. On the list when I hit the lottery

Versys:

More fun.. all round
Quicker (up to about 60, maybe only feels that way)
Lighter (more fun in the twisties)
More fun (did I already mention that?)
Cheaper (new)

Totally different bikes.

Another..... if you like 'em both, you probably need to own 'em both.

V-Zee
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 AM

I sold a VFR after I got the V-Strom, the V-Strom did everything the VFR did, only better and it was more comfortable on dirt roads. The Versys does everything the V-Strom does, is faster/easier to ride on tight paved roads but gives up a bit on dirt roads. I don't miss the VFR (other than as a piece of art, there were a lot of details on that bike that showed why Honda was at some point in time the motorcycle engineering company) and I certainly wouldn't give up my Versys for one, not even the new one. OTOH, if you have an RC45 to trade, I'll probably take you up on it.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Great info there, fellers.

The vfr is a great bike, it's just a very 'serious' ride--the seating position and horsepower makes me feel like I'm 'locked and loaded' and always worried about breaking the speed limit. Even commuting to work (9 miles), I want to 'see what it can do' both speed and cornering, braking, etc.

When I had my Vstrom, it felt easier to get on and just ride--as my dad used to say, "lolli-gag" along. More comfortable, the Strom just seemed like a better setup for the riding I do--commuting, running my daughter's princess cd's back to the library, Sunday morning twisties, etc. I've heard the Versys is similar to the vstrom, just lighter, and more fun.

Just looking for something a little simpler (as mentioned), easier to work on (did I mention the vfr's 2 hour oil change?), and different.

I'll go test ride a V and report back--thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode