Is riding in 105 degree heat ok? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is riding in 105 degree heat ok?

My V is my main transportation and it will be HOT here this week, a high of 105 tomorrow. My bike has the recommended 10W/40 oil in it which is rated for temps up to 100 right?

Is it ok to ride my bike in the 100+ degree heat without changing the oil?

I'm assuming it is, especially since my commute is only 8 miles round trip and I'm never idling more than a minute or two at stop lights, but I thought I'd just ask to make sure.

Sorry if this is a bonehead question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
My V is my main transportation and it will be HOT here this week, a high of 105 tomorrow. My bike has the recommended 10W/40 oil in it which is rated for temps up to 100 right?

Is it ok to ride my bike in the 100+ degree heat without changing the oil?

I'm assuming it is, especially since my commute is only 8 miles round trip and I'm never idling more than a minute or two at stop lights, but I thought I'd just ask to make sure.

Sorry if this is a bonehead question
It is a great question and one more people should ask.
You and the V will be fine!
Insert usual disclaimer here.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
105 F = 40.5 C , wow that pretty high and we do ride here with a max temp of 37 C , no problem so far and using Motul 15W/50 - Double Ester 100% synthetic.

Hope it helps.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM

from the book on this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil temps.jpg (16.2 KB, 153 views)

Ride em if ya got em!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
From what it says that 40 C is top end of 10W40 but your average high summer temp will be well down from that unless you live at the equator
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
from the book on this site.
Cool, 104 is listed as the max for 10W/40. It looks like I should be fine for my short commute. I'm sure it'd be a different story if I was planning a 3 hour ride in the middle of the day including stop and go traffic.

I think the bigger issue will be dealing with riding with all my gear on Today was 96 when I came home and that certainly wasn't enjoyable!

Thanks for the input guys!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 AM

I think you'll be ok
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Agree the bigger issue is overheating your self but it is short trips
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM

In the center of portugal here it´s common (as in the last couple of months) for at least half of the months the daytime temps to rise consistently between 40-45ºC.
Have been using galp full sinth 15-50 in the last 2 oil changes with 0 problems and 0 oil burn, and would not seem reasonable to change, main problem is me burning in the hot winds lolol
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM

We've had a very hot summer here in Kansas, the worst day that I rode it was 107º F with a heat index of 115º. I could feel my feet cooking on the 24 mile ride home. I was wearing Alpinestar mesh jacket, EXO1000 helmet, and Thor 50/50 boots. The faster I went the hotter it seemed. The Versys didn't seem to mind the heat, I certainly did.

Doug

Mine is a BLUE 2009 KLE650A9F
Former RED KLR650 Rider.
Former Yellow/Black Suzuki M50 Rider.

Last edited by dfmcse; 08-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM

You know, when it is balls ass hot out people think nothing about jumping in the car, cranking the A/C and sitting in traffic. Why would a modern liquid cooled bike be different? The answer is, it wouldn't! These bikes are designed for the same temp extreems as any other vehicle. Don't worry about it, just RIDE.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
njd

The day I bought my V was the hottest day of the summer here. I think it reached 107 or something. The V was fine. I had to make a couple of stops to drink water though, because it was brutal.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmcse View Post
We've had a very hot summer here in Kansas, the worst day that I road it was 107º F with a heat index of 115º. I could feel my feet cooking on the 24 mile ride home. I was wearing Alpinestar mesh jacket, EXO1000 helmet, and Thor 50/50 boots. The faster I went the hotter it seemed. The Versys didn't seem to mind the heat, I certainly did.
I can't think of the name for it right now but it's the opposite of wind chill. When it is cold out the faster you go, more of your body heat is blown away. When it is warm you body actually adsorbs heat from the air around you. So when you are going fast, your body is moving through more warm air and you get hotter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Let's hear from some of our members from AZ! I was out there for the July 4th weekend and rode for hours on a Ninja 650R in +110 temps with no issues.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM

best thing to do here is go arab burka style! wearing clothes that avoid wind going in, a bit like in winter

Also there is a fashion going around for in coat vests in which you drip in water to get soaked leave them hanging for 5 minutes and wear them on, kinda of fabric that absorbs water supposedly gets you colder inside the coat but does not get you wet or dripping
(still havent tried though)
shops were selling it at bike gatherings claiming the last evolution for hot summer riding
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM

In Memphis a couple weeks ago it hit 106 w/ heat index of 130F. Bike was fine. Right side of engine is hotter than all nonsense. Be prepared in this heat to accept more risk or put the bike up and take the car. Overheating yourself until you collapse on the interstate while chanting the ATGATT mantra is likely to get you injured just as quickly as going down in at T-shirt and jeans. Wear lighter gear or don't ride, but be safe in the heat!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM

I have a pair of Airtech XCR Gore-Tex Boots from TCX (formerly Oxtar).

They don’t have great protection but they’re a whole lot better than sneakers and they allow an amazing amount of airflow, in fact the first time I wore them, when I started moving I was surprised by an unexpected `breeze’ (like when you suddenly realize your fly is open)

Last year I washed them under running water and later (I thought they were dry but they weren’t) I went for a ride. The evaporative cooling effect was amazing! It was like little air conditioners for my feet!

Here’s a couple of places that carry them...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...XCR-Boots.aspx

http://www.newenough.com/street/boot...cle_boots.html

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Your bike will be fine, Id be more worried about frying my brain. Ha!
I elected to drive my truck today, Too hot! like riding in a blast furnace plus my commute is a bit longer than yours.

Donn
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Let's hear from some of our members from AZ! I was out there for the July 4th weekend and rode for hours on a Ninja 650R in +110 temps with no issues.

Ha! I just got back from a trip from So. Cal. to Bullhead City AZ (Laughlin). I had to leave later than I wanted to (1 o'clock in the afternoon) and when I rolled into town there was a sign that said it was 118, but I saw on the news that it was "only" 114. I was sweating like a pig, but the V didn't miss a beat. I am running Lucas full syn 20W-50. I left at 6 AM on the ride home and it was a magic morning ride through the desert!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM

While I do all I can to avoid the heat of the day sometimes it just can't be avoided....

I've ridden the V during the hottest part of the day home from Flagstaff and it never seems to mind.

Myself, that's another story. I always have my CamelPak filled with ice water and am not shy about drinking from it. If I think about it, I hit it. Sometimes even spittle a little on myself for the cooling effect....aaaahhhh.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode