Ride Report - Vancouver to Squamish - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride Report - Vancouver to Squamish

So I rode some twisties for the first time and I did it under the watchful eyes of "bigaussie". It was a pleasant evening and the ride took us about one hour each way. We didn't make stops on the way so took pictures upon reaching Squamish. Some highlights and observations are noted below:

1: It is a great experience riding in twisties and V is an easy bike to throw around them (duh!)
2: I went slow and easy on most of the turns and twists but was feeling more comfortable by the end of the day than I was at the beginning of the ride.
3: I can't say that stock seat is okay. But it is no as horrible as I expected it to be. About an hour commute to work in the morning + ~ 9 hours of sitting at a computer + 30 minutes of riding to meet bigaussie at his work place + 1 hour each way to/from Squamish + an hour back to my home. On top of all this, I have a bad back. My tail bone took the brunt of it by the time we reached Squamish. We are gonna swap our seats on our next ride (he has a gel seat) to see if it makes any difference.
4: 15 minutes into our ride, I was hoping for either lower footpegs or highway pegs to stretch my legs. I am just about 5'10" but the seat to peg ration is not ideal even for my height. By ythe time I got home (around 9 p.m.) I had almost cramp like pain in my right leg. I think the long ride coupled with the fact that I had been fasting for almost 15 hours, I must have been very dehydrated which was causing muscles to act up. And unlike bigaussie, I wasn't properly dressed for the ride. It got pretty cold on my way back. My upper body was warm (waterproof jacket) but jeans made my legs cold and my hands were stiff with cold as well (Teknic racing gloves).
5: I felt so light riding the bike after bigaussie kindly offered to put my backpack in his Givi side bag. I usually haul 5-10 kg on my back which is a big no-no. I did not have any sore shoulder which I normally have after 30-50 minutes of ride with my backpack. So have to save money for at least a top box now.
6: Givi windscreen works good.
7: I have to do something about the vibes in the handlebar and the buzz from the guage cluster.
8: And last but not the least, I need to get into shape for longer rides. Probably should loose 40 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle especially in shoulders/arms and legs.
9: Next time, I am taking my DSLR and making stops on the way. If it weren't for me to reach in time for breaking the fast, we would have made some pit stops to appreciate the scenery.
10: Can't think of anything else, maybe bigaussie can chime in.

Edit: hmmm....not sure why the images are loading up sideways. They are fine on my computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030892.jpg (676.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg P1030891.jpg (655.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4866.JPG (632.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4867.JPG (587.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg P1030906.jpg (593.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4873.JPG (512.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1030893.jpg (489.6 KB, 99 views)

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70

Last edited by datawiz2012; 08-22-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 AM

Great post. I commend you on going slow and easy on one of your first times out. I have been riding on the street for 25 years and one of the biggest mistakes newer riders make is pushing beyond their limits. Good on you for getting to know your bike and skills in a controlled fashion.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hey datawiz2012, enjoy your honest ride report, since i live on the bottom of the planet all your photos are upside down, just kidding. Just my opinion here and that's because I used to do what you do and that's ride in just jeans, hawkshots99 in a recent thread just come off his bike, he had bike pants on that ripped through knee armour when he hit the road, image what would of happened if he just had jeans, may not have a knee cap.
Great to see you pacing yourself and building up skills, all the best.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I was in that area a few years back...the Sea to Sky Hwy is gorgeous...would have loved to have had the V with me then...

Nice pics!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Nice report and great pics! I have the same problem with the pictures using photobucket. The best thing I have found to do is review the photos on my computer, rotate them to my liking, then save them to the computer. When you upload them it sometimes likes to rotate them again. Simply edit them, rotate them, and then save/replace original. I find it irritating and I'm sure there is an easier way but I haven 't looked into it yet. Matter of fact there is an easier way...I just turn my monitor sideways!

Getting into shape is always good. I stretch before riding and that helps loosen me up. I don't know why you are fasting, but food and water is always good for the body...being in a weakened state while riding...I'll leave that up to you in respect for what you are trying to accomplish.

I had a backpack before getting my topcase and agree it is so much nicer not having the backpack on.

Look forward to seeing more reports and scenery from your next trip.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Good report! Nice pics!! Glad you're having fun!!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Hmmmm - that metallic orange on the '07s is my FAVORITE color!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM

Garage
We did have a great ride last week - that was my third trip on the Sea to Sky that week (Monday in cage with an interstate visitor, Tuesday as we had originally planned to ride that day and it was too nice a day to waste and Thursday with Datawiz)

Some people think the roadworks for the Winter Olympics 'ruined' the road, but it has taken a goat track and made it (mostly) divided road. There is only one real squeeze point now.

Re the photos - your computer is recognizing the camera orientation from the metadata and is auto revolving the photo on your screen. You have to manually revolve and save as per the other post.

Datawiz - I am available to ride with you whenever you are free.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post

Datawiz - I am available to ride with you whenever you are free.
Semester end crunch has hit me. But we should go for at least 3-4 more rides before we store our bikes for the winter. Maybe a bit shorter ride this time? Shannon Falls? or somewhere half way to squamish where we could enjoy some sceneray and have something to eat/drink. We got to give photographs more time to (at least 30 min). I want to do some b&w material with mountains and water in the back and both Vs in the front.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 AM

I don't understand this storing of bikes or riding seasons. You don't ride all year?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I don't understand this storing of bikes or riding seasons. You don't ride all year?
Not when it's snowing in winter or raining 24/7. Vancouver is like that in winter. If you are getting 2-3 days a month to ride, what's the point especially with insurance rates being so crazy high here due to the monopoly of the government's insurance agency which makes ridiculous amounts of profits every quarter.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:56 AM

That is beautiful country, but that is exactly why I live where I do. It is always riding season and rarely snows.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is beautiful country, but that is exactly why I live where I do. It is always riding season and rarely snows.
I do like rain but if it goes on for two weeks at a time without letting up, it gets real gloomy

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Hmm, I didn't have to "winter" my V at all over the course of last winter, down here in Seattle. There were a couple days I opted not to ride, but I kept up commuting with the V the entirety of winter.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hahahaha!! That is what I was going to post!!

Good job!!

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikewithmike View Post
Hmm, I didn't have to "winter" my V at all over the course of last winter, down here in Seattle. There were a couple days I opted not to ride, but I kept up commuting with the V the entirety of winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Hahahaha!! That is what I was going to post!!

Good job!!

Seriously??!! What do you guys do about black ice then. I think Seattle weather is like Vancouver and here even cars skid and slip due to black ice. I would love to ride all winter (even in rain) but is it not very unsafe in snowy /icy conditions? The stock tires are crappy on wet pavement as it is.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 PM

Forecast for the PNW for this winter is more 08/09 than 09/10 type winter and I seem to recall even Seattle had lots of snow that winter. I was snowed in for three days...and I live on a state route (highway). Had snow piled so high all over that I was forced to use the tractor to push it across the highway into the river walk area. No one was riding anything but snow machines and quads.

What sucks is my shoulder will finally be up to riding sometime in November and our first snow will probably be on the ground end of October. Sigh...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
Seriously??!! What do you guys do about black ice then. I think Seattle weather is like Vancouver and here even cars skid and slip due to black ice. I would love to ride all winter (even in rain) but is it not very unsafe in snowy /icy conditions? The stock tires are crappy on wet pavement as it is.

I'm thinking you've confused our posts. I'm in Texas. We don't really have a problem with black ice.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I'm thinking you've confused our posts. I'm in Texas. We don't really have a problem with black ice.
I didn't see a lot of black ice either. Missed about 3 weeks in total I coudn't ride last winter and I'm only an 1.5 hours away inland. Rain is a pain but I'd still rather be on the bike than in the truck.

Your right though, the sea to sky is a nice road. Made better with the porous concrete they put on for the olympics.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 AM

we had a tame winter in Seattle, and if there is snow or ice then I don't ride, but my battery has never had too touch a tender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode