Great Off Road Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great Off Road Ride

Just got done with my first off-road ride on my V...and it was fantastic! My buddy on his Wee-Strom and I on my Versys worked our way through about 40 miles of gravel roads, fire roads, logging roads and ATV trails. A great and challenging mix of loose gravel, sand, mud, water, brush and even a few small downed trees to go over. The bike handled great, better than expected, especially considering I still have the stock tires. After the ride this afternoon, I can't wait to get out and try some more off-road trails with my V. This is a true all around bike! Fast on the highway, fun and flexible in the twisties and performed suprisingly well in the rocks, sand, dirt and mud...all while looking good doing it all! Attaching a few pics of the aftermath (pre bath) will try to bring a camera along for the ride next time...and try to get even more dirty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (665.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (542.8 KB, 149 views)

Ride There
because you can
you know it's right
in the rain
in the cold
have fun...
every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Very nice!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Bike all dirty looks great!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to some off road myself.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog71 View Post
Just got done with my first off-road ride on my V...and it was fantastic! My buddy on his Wee-Strom and I on my Versys worked our way through about 40 miles of gravel roads, fire roads, logging roads and ATV trails. A great and challenging mix of loose gravel, sand, mud, water, brush and even a few small downed trees to go over. The bike handled great, better than expected, especially considering I still have the stock tires. After the ride this afternoon, I can't wait to get out and try some more off-road trails with my V. This is a true all around bike! Fast on the highway, fun and flexible in the twisties and performed suprisingly well in the rocks, sand, dirt and mud...all while looking good doing it all! Attaching a few pics of the aftermath (pre bath) will try to bring a camera along for the ride next time...and try to get even more dirty!

Good Lord man, Don't you read the internet? You can't do that with a V.

Ain't it fun

Ride em if ya got em!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 PM

I have no doubt some other bikes are better suited for off road, but fortunately for me I've never ridden them! I have never stayed away from single tracks, gravel etc. No major boulder or log hopping is all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM

That's a Dirty Girl!

Well done! The bike is living up to it's name.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

I just did a similar type of riding for the first time on my V as well. It did great on the ATV trail from Gratiot to Mineral Point, WI. The only time it was even sketchy was some standing water over snotty mud on hard clay. That was slippery and hard to see what was there.

BTW, I was also running the stock tires with 5300 miles on them and just a hair over the wear bars. It would have been super easy on some slighter nubbier tires.

I had read all the internet stuff saying how terrible it was off road and was saving to buy a dirt bike. Then realized that the resale of my V is so low I may as well just drive it as scratched up bodywork isn't going to make it worth much less.

Alas, no pictures because I was by myself.

Paul
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

LuckyDuck, Sounds like you had as much fun as I did. My ride was between Tower and Gilbert in NE Minnesota. We are blessed with a plethora of Forest Service roads, logging roads and ATV trails that are just waiting to be explored. Now that I know the V handles as well as it does in the gravel, sand and mud...can't wait o get out and do more. As for the low resale...I disagree, if more people figure out just how fun and versatile these bikes really are, they will become as coveted by others as they are cherished by us!
Starting to look into what type of new meats to strap on when the time comes due (and pocket book allows). I will for suure be looking for something with a bit more bite than the stock rubber, but don't want to sacrifice road performance either...hey with a bike like this we can want...and have it all!

Ride There
because you can
you know it's right
in the rain
in the cold
have fun...
every time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM

@ LuckyDuck,

And you did not invite me? I am hurt. I have been riding all over S.W. Wis. The Great River Gravel route, The lower sections of the T.W.A.T. We gotta get together some time.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode