Bend,Oregon, Clutch Cable,,,,,,, - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bend,Oregon, Clutch Cable,,,,,,,

On a road trip here, 160 miles from home, just discovered my clutch cable is unraveling above the handlebar adjuster, I'm not sure if this thing will last all the way home.

Saturday night, and no parts available, hell , not even a Kawasaki shop here.

Any ideas on a roadside repair if this thing snaps before I make it home????

Phil P.
Vancouver,Washington
2008 Versys, (RED)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM

Bummer, and here I sit in Florida with a spare. I would suggest you lube the cable end to be sure it is rotating in the clutch lever. Then on the way home minimize your clutch use. On up shifting you dont need to use the clutch,
just let off the load on the drivetrain by blipping the throttle with pressure on the shift lever with your toe. And minimize downshifting. 160 miles isnt too far. Pick a route with the least stops. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
I'm in Tracy California and can ship my cable to you if that would help get you where you need to be.
Not very practical considering the amount of time it would take, but that is a very good gesture

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea's, in a hotel in Bend at the moment, won't know anything until I hit the road tomorrow (Sunday). I'll try the lube, that's a good idea, I do know people have used Vice grips as a lever, but I don't see how it would work, Ideas?

Phil P.
Vancouver,Washington
2008 Versys, (RED)
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Bend is a bicycle kind of town. Find a bicycle shop and get a brake cable for a mountain bike and a cable stop for a cantilever brake. A little Macgivering (?) should get you home.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 AM

Beaverton Bob is open tomorrow, but of course, there is no guarantee they have one and by the time you get there, you might as well go home first and get your cable on Monday from your favorite source (unless it's Beav Bob anyway ).

Unfortunately, the shortest distance is also through Gresham city traffic, which will require frequent use of said clutch. If you hit it early, shouldn't be that bad. But if you are going to hit it later in teh afternoon, might be better to go up on 26 to Govt. Camp, but then north of 35 to Hood River. Longer, but includes minimal city traffic.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

no problem riding now, clutch cable just broke off at the lever, I looked at it this morning, on 4 strands were holding it on, now I need a plan.

Phil P.
Vancouver,Washington
2008 Versys, (RED)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

So I'm spending the night (Sunday) in Bend,Oregon, pushing the bike the half mile to the shop Monday morning and leaving it, going to ride bitch on my buddies BMW back to Vancouver, on Monday.

Pick up the Versys in a week or so after it's repaired.

Phil P.
Vancouver,Washington
2008 Versys, (RED)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:22 PM

I was sorry to read your story Phil. Were the timing different, I would have gladly made the trip from Corvallis and delivered you a cable (although, where I'd find one on a Sunday, I don't know?). But nevertheless, good luck. And I'm glad you will be able to make it back home.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Better to ride bitch than not ride at all I guess.

Glad you got it worked out. Sounds like a good friend to help you out.

My wifes clutch cable broke once out of town, and we could not get a cable from anyone. I carried her back on my bike 120 miles, and then turned around with the truck to go pick up her bike and bring it home, so I could fix it the next day. There went our vacation plans.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM

When I tried to get a cluch cable for the V from my local dealer he had to order it. I wanted one as backup for the trip to Michigan. The cable came in--wrong one. So be sure to get the number off your old cable. The parts guy got one that was a couple inches short. Maybe for the Ninja?? But the ends are the same. So I had to leave without the spare. Figured my wife could overnight it if needed. Easy to install.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 PM

I ordered a spare shortly after buying my V and have it taped to the inside of the Givi's.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM

How many miles did you get out of your clutch cable? My original only lasted 6k miles. Way too short in my opinion.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
How many miles did you get out of your clutch cable? My original only lasted 6k miles. Way too short in my opinion.

I've got almost 13k on my bike with the original cable. Had to adjust it when I first got the bike, but it's been fine ever since.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Most Harley shops sell an end barrel with a set screw to capture the typical broken end (at the lever) failure. Sportsters are infamous for this problem. Use to carry one but lost it a few years back; sounds as if I need to get another????
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM

I broke a clutch cable a few days ago, Kurt from this board, found a generic cable and end barrel at a Chinese moto parts shop. He then routed the cable through the existing Versys tubing, it was a temporary repair but got me back to Lima. My original clutch cable lasted almost 47,000 miles.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM

When it comes to cables they require maintenance every so often. I lube mine with the Dupont Teflon stuff that I use on the chain.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
I ordered a spare shortly after buying my V and have it taped to the inside of the Givi's.
Ditto. Almost 40,000 kms on original cable. I lube it couple times a season, still seems good as new. I try to pay attention to what other owners on the site have had trouble with and anticipate having the same problem myself. 'Spose I'm just waiting for the rectifier to crap out on me now.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Just blew my cable after gassing up and adding stabilizer to the gas...My plan was to put it to bed tomorrow. I'm only 1-2 miles from where it's being stored but with all the traffic this time of day I thought I'd wait till later tonight to try and get it to it's final resting place for the winter. I had to walk homefrom where I had to park it. Just way too much traffic...

Two questions...are there any aftermarket cables for the Versys yet?...and any tips on how to drive the pig clutch less would be appreciated(other than just don't stop!) got 9500 on the odo. It snapped right at the lever!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 11-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A must for clutch cable bikes: End barrel with a set screw to capture the typical broken cable.

Sorry guys you have to walk/park home. Its all part of riding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode