Done riding for the year. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Done riding for the year.

Well sadly my riding season has come to a end already.

Riding to work today I was on a entrance to a highway coming off of a bridge. As you came off the ramp there is a long speed up lane before merging. The car a few cars ahead of me got off the ramp into the accel. lane and sped up then slammed on their brakes for no reason. All the other cars stacked up very quickly behind the braking car. I was still in the entrance ramp in a turn, leaned over. Saw all the red lights and grabbed to much front brake. I low-sided the bike and slid for a bit.
Popped right back up and quickly ran to the bike and lifted it right up no problem. A car that stopped helped me push it off the road. My left wrist was sore, but felt fine. After sitting for a bit I decided it hurt to much to pull in the clutch so called my dad to bring the truck and ramps.

The damage: Fractured wrist that the doctor told me needs to be in a cast 6-8 weeks. Also my right knee has a sweet strawberry to it.
The Bike: Right tank cover is scuffed, broke off a handguard, bent rear brake lever, scuffed throttle bar slider and footpeg, and slight scuff on my front fender.
I had wanted to get the bike painted this winter, so now I have a real excuse. The rest can be fixed pretty cheap. I am shocked at the lack of damage. We drove it up in the truck.

My helmet never touched the ground, leather jacket and gloves show no marks. I had on Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. I wore through the mesh, and knee armour on the right to skin. I also had Joe Rocket Metour boots. They are skuffed up pretty good, and it looks like some stitching is now loose.

So I am done for the year, put on around 6k miles since april when I bought the bike. I will definitely be keeping the bike, as I already want to ride. Just hope my wrist heals quick for ski season.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

That Sucks man, Glad you're OK!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 PM

That sucks, good to hear your all right, so what color is your V and what are your plans for paint?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Glad you're OK. Karma - it's a powerful force.... ;-)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you're ok & thankful you saw what was going on in time, and to walk away like you did! Could've been bad slamming into the rear of a car accelerating onto a freeway. Good on you!

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
That sucks, good to hear your all right, so what color is your V and what are your plans for paint?
I have a red 08'. I was planning on doing the orange on the 04' Kawi ZX6R.

Then I found out it's a 2 part paint. In my hopes to make it a bit cheaper I would like a 1 part paint.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Glad to hear you're mostly OK. Take care of yourself, and show us how good the new paint is when it's ready.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Glad to hear you are ok. One of the guys that works for me broke his wrist in a high side, but it healed up pretty quick. Sounds like you should be in good shape for at least some of the ski season!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM

It's good you are okay. Listen to your doctor.

I'm still recovering from mine back on July 5th. The cast suck and I've got 4 more weeks for mine.

Also go for the orange, it'll look good.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but like bear said thank god it wasn't A collision. Hope you heal up quickly, can't wait to see the paint job you give it.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Sounds like you should be in good shape for at least some of the ski season!!!
I need to be good for the entire ski season! I manage a ski shop that is located 50 yards away from the lifts at a ski area. Also race on a shop sponsored team.

I tore my ACL 3 winters ago in a ski race, and that really sucked.

08' Versys
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but like bear said thank god it wasn't A collision. Hope you heal up quickly, can't wait to see the paint job you give it.
Very happy it wasnt a collision. Those never seem to end as easy as ONLY a fractured wrist.

I cant wait myself to see the bike painted. Ever since I first saw the Ninja series and the Z1000 in that color I have wanted that color.

08' Versys
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 PM

Crapola,

Glad you are ok. Tough way to get a paint job.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Close call, with not too bad an outcome. When traffic starts stacking up I always worry about the guy behind me. Thats one of the times a rider is very
much at risk.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM

It sounds like it would have been a lot worse without the pants, they seem to have absorbed a lot of the impact.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Glad you are alright and that there wasn't too much damage.

Orange all the way baby!!!

Let yourself heal up properly and if you have to, take some time off from racing and riding. It is much better to be safe then sorry, especially years down the road. Old age and pain isn't fun.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 AM

Glad you had gear on...Mine saved my bacon on a low side...And lest we forget some cagers just seem to have an endless supply of "DumbAss Pills".
Hope ya heal soon, can't wait for the new paint

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad you okay mate, glad you had your gear on, all the best with recovery so you be right for the snow
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Any crash from which you can walk away is a landing! Or maybe a ditch. Never fun to go down, but awesome to hear you'll be OK! I know firsthand about grabbing too much front brake. That's how my V went down in an emergency stop. The front's kind of twitchy that way. Lots of initial grab, then not too much feedback or linearity before lockup. Definitely one of the things I want to work on. Probably start with SS lines, then pads.

Edit: For the paint, why not the '07 Versys orange? I'm thinking of using it to accent my blue machine.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

Last edited by 80-watt Hamster; 08-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Very glad you were able to walk away from that; sounds like your reactions and gear saved you from a collision. Good luck on the paint job, should look a bit like the Euro '10? If the two part paint is a base and clearcoat, I found that was easy and great looking on the tins on my bobber project. Good luck!

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode