New Drenaline skid plate - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
New Drenaline skid plate

4 mm thick aluminum, matte black skid plate by Drenaline of UK. Price available soon. Replaces stock lower plastic covers...

Drenaline was created in 2004 by Masac®, a company with more than 50 years of history in the motorcycle industry and racing... The robust Drenaline Motorcycle and ATV Parts are the same used by the Drenaline riders in the Dakar and other extreme races.

http://www.ultimaterider.net/product.php?ProductID=477

http://www.aknavik.com/index.php?pr=..._Engine_Guards

http://www.drenaline.net/uk//home/sc...f=home&lang=uk

http://material.drenaline.net/produt...line_Parts.pdf (page 9)

Last edited by invader; 08-20-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
More or less like twistedthrottle. Will see how the price is

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5482/788/
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
More or less like twistedthrottle. Will see how the price is

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5482/788/
You mean SW-Motech of Germany...
http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...versys,,,,.htm

Twisted Throttle is a North American distributor in Rhode Island USA.

Last edited by invader; 08-20-2010 at 04:27 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean SW-Motech of Germany...
http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...versys,,,,.htm

Twisted Throttle is a North American distributor in Rhode Island USA.
Yes sir-SW-Motech. Of all the skid plate, algrad is the best I have seen for the versys. Good design and full cover with stock side cover.
Just my 2 cts thoughts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
looks good!

But will add a lot of weight comparing to the meagre factory plastic ones (3,5kg vs about 0,5kg?)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM

And yet no one in the USA carries either. Not sure what the heck us up, there is a good amount of demand for a skid plate but no one will import or create one locally.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM

They're coming. Soon. I hope.

This one looks good too. I would take either one. Prolly from whomever gets one here first.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:22 PM

We have a sample of the SW-MOTECH skidplate here in our shop in RI. We did a demo install on a first-gen Versys this week. One product fits both first and second-gen bikes.

We have a bunch of guys coming down to visit our shop tomorrow (Saturday). We'll let them play with our sample and show installed photos.

SW-MOTECH just finished the design a couple of weeks ago. We've placed our stock order, and the products are on their way... but they're coming via sea freight, so it will be about a month before they arrive. We could have them send over by post, but then they'd only arrive 2 weeks earlier and they'd cost 50% more

We're on it! I promise!

Smiles,
-Mr. Twisted
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
We have a sample of the SW-MOTECH skidplate here in our shop in RI. We did a demo install on a first-gen Versys this week. One product fits both first and second-gen bikes.

We have a bunch of guys coming down to visit our shop tomorrow (Saturday). We'll let them play with our sample and show installed photos.

SW-MOTECH just finished the design a couple of weeks ago. We've placed our stock order, and the products are on their way... but they're coming via sea freight, so it will be about a month before they arrive. We could have them send over by post, but then they'd only arrive 2 weeks earlier and they'd cost 50% more

We're on it! I promise!

Smiles,
-Mr. Twisted
Thank you. I wrote yesterday and Jennifer replied with pretty much the same thing. I replied back with a request to please reserve one for me but did not hear back.
How 'bout some fair pricing and a reservation list? Or a deposit with order or something?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Yes sir-SW-Motech. Of all the skid plate, algrad is the best I have seen for the versys. Good design and full cover with stock side cover.
Just my 2 cts thoughts.
The Alguard may be the best you have seen but it is far from the strongest mounted skid plate for the KMW VERSATILE 650 ala MULTITASKA 650 {add your nickname}.

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
The Alguard may be the best you have seen but it is far from the strongest mounted skid plate for the KMW VERSATILE 650 ala MULTITASKA 650 {add your nickname}.
Do these fit our scooters? If so, link please.

Thanks,
Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post

Thanks,
Bob
The member that was making them was in Finland or Denmark or Poland or something. He made a few and then decided not to make any more. Too bad somebody can't buy his drawings and have them made over here by a custom fab shop. I thought they were the best thing going.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post

Thanks,
Bob
You are way too late to the party, Bob. Algard has ceased production of the skid plate, so whether it was or wasn't better is a moot point...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
You are way too late to the party, Bob. Algard has ceased production of the skid plate, so whether it was or wasn't better is a moot point...

Gustavo

Sorry. I did not realize that he was talking about the Algard until after his reply. And then reread the post and figured out that I had misread it.

Have a Great Day!

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 08-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM

I saw the S-W Motech skid-plate at TT yesterday. It's made out of 2 different pieces of aluminum that overlap at the more critical points. It is mounted on using 8 bolts through rubber bushings to dampen vibrations. I got to hold the skid-plate and it felt very sturdy and I noticed that it is held together with rivets. You will have to remove it for oil changes.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
looks good!

But will add a lot of weight comparing to the meagre factory plastic ones (3,5kg vs about 0,5kg?)
I am not sure if that would even be noticeable on the V..... If anything else, it may help keep the front down!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I saw the S-W Motech skid-plate at TT yesterday. It's made out of 2 different pieces of aluminum that overlap at the more critical points. It is mounted on using 8 bolts through rubber bushings to dampen vibrations. I got to hold the skid-plate and it felt very sturdy and I noticed that it is held together with rivets. You will have to remove it for oil changes.
Did they have it to buy or just check out? I spoke to them last week and they said 2 weeks before they were taking orders. Removing to change the oil is a PITA, but not that big of a deal IMHO.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Did they have it to buy or just check out? I spoke to them last week and they said 2 weeks before they were taking orders. Removing to change the oil is a PITA, but not that big of a deal IMHO.

I'd definitely cut out an access port and then overlay a cover to change the oil... more work than taking it off, but after a time or two and avoiding some stripped or broken screws, it would be worth the effort.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
I am not sure if that would even be noticeable on the V..... If anything else, it may help keep the front down!
hehehe good point for that I already upped the steering bar one degree so more of my weight is up front, if that´s not enough I´ll throw in a bag of potatoes
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Nobody in the group was particularly interested in purchasing it, so nobody asked. Judging from TT's website they just have the one to show. The demo model we saw was 2 tone black and bare aluminum. The black piece is to the front and covers the bottom. SW Motech's site shows the entire skid-plate made out of plain aluminum.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode