Cleaning & Loctite - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning & Loctite

Hello All,

I was looking through the threads about cleaning the bike and from everything I saw you can use almost anything to clean/scrub down the bike. I know that I'll want to make sure the chain is lubed after cleaning, but are there any other places that I need to make sure that are lubed after scrubbing down the bike really well? Also, I assume it is okay to just use a mild cleaner to clean the engine. Are there any areas that I shouldn't clean/scrub?

Loctite. I've never used the stuff. Where should you use it? When should you use it? How much should you use? Also, there are different types...any to stay away from?

Have a great day!

Bill

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Don't use red, often, it comes in blue tubes like blue does, and red is near permanent, hard to break loose.

I snug stuff up but I dont put loctite on random nuts and bolts unless I have a problem coming loose repeatedly.

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
LOCTITE.

In 1953, American professor Vernon Krieble developed anaerobic threadlocking adhesives in his basement laboratory at Hartford, Connecticut’s Trinity College. Krieble’s company, American Sealants, founded the Loctite brand, which was promoted as ushering in a new era of mechanical reliability by eliminating the vibrational loosening of mechanical fasteners, a frequent cause of machine failure.

In 1956, the name Loctite is chosen by Krieble’s daughter-in-law. The Loctite sealant made its official public debut at a press conference at the University Club in New York on July 26.

In 1963, American Sealants changed its name to the Loctite Corporation.

In 1964, Loctite introduced cyanoacrylate adhesives (a repackaged Eastman product, invented at Eastman Kodak in 1942), also known as “Super Glue;” this is the first of many new products, including silicones, epoxies, acrylics and the development of new Loctite anaerobics.

In the 1980s, Loctite introduced a line of microanaerobic adhesives.

In 1997, Loctite was acquired as a flagship brand by Henkel, a Germany-based Fortune 500 company.

Since 1997, Loctite has remained a primary Henkel brand and a supplier of household adhesives, epoxies, spray adhesives, construction adhesives and home repair, sealants and fillers. In recent years, the company has increased its focus on green and sustainable technologies.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Fastoman....that actually just made me laugh a lot!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
+1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
+1
NO mention &

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Don't use anything harsher than car-wash soap to wash your bike. Simple Green works good for degreasing however applied full strength to raw aluminum and left on too long will etch it. So spray with water first, then the green spray, use a mitt or brush, and hose off with plenty of water. It also works well for cacked on mud and dirt the the hose doesn't blast off.

Don't spray water into the intake area, into any bearings, nor any electrical connections or components. I have never liked pressure washers for this task but a lot of guys use them and don't have issues with contaminated bearings. Start the motor when you're done and let it warm up and dry out any moisture. A quick run around the block works well. Also a compressed air nozzle will completly blow out remaining water droplets from all the nooks and crannies, motor, bolt and screw socket heads, etc.

WD40 makes a great topical spray for anything metal, 303 Protectant for everything else except the seat. Even the seat can be conditioned if you use it sparingly and buff it off well. 303 is the top protectant spray on the market, hands down. "Like SPF40 for your stuff" as they say. Spray anything you want protected and wipe down with a cotton towel. This will keep your bikes looking brand new. On the dirtbikes, since I'm not concerned with attracting dust, and because it sits a lot between rides, I spray the whole motor down and all metal parts, hubs, controls, everything. It cleans up really easy after a session in the dirt too. For the road bike you don't want to treat your tire treads, I guess I need to caution here.

WD makes a good chain cleaner too. Spray on and clean it thoroughly with a rag, then apply a quality chain lube.

Here's a picture of my KTM when it had about 60 hours of offroad riding on it. That's about 1400 miles of dirt trails and harsh desert dust and dirt. I always get chided by my riding buddies because my bikes all look so clean.

Red locktite applied to bolt or machine screw threads is more or less permenant and can require heat and a LOT of pressure to release. Blue is medium and good for any fastener that you don't want to work loose from vibration but need to be able to remove it in the future. Nylocks also work very well, but are much less common on road bikes than offroad bikes, at least in my experience. You should at least have a tube of blue locktite in your rollaway. Most anything major that requires the red stuff you will know in advance, or it's part of the assembly instructions pertaining. In otherwords, if the service manual requires it, it will tell you. Just a couple of drops on the threads and it will lock them tight.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info CJBROWN! Man that KTM looks much cleaner than ones I've seen on a dealership floor!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I carry BLUE Loctite with me on BOTH my V and KLR, and any time I remove a bolt or screw I put a 'dab' of Loctite on before I re-install it. So far I've not lost any screws or bolts (or other "attached" parts...!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode