Will my Corbin seat ever soften up? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will my Corbin seat ever soften up?

Hi all,

A quick introduction. I purchased a leftover stock 2008 Versys this summer. I've been riding for 5 years, owned several bikes and found the Versys to be perfect for me.

Stock seat was not comfortable. I got an Alaska Leather Rally special buttpad. This made it better. I cut some foam and put under the front of the buttpad, this made it even better. Eventually I ordered a Corbin seat thinking this would be perfect.

400 miles later... things are not perfect yet. Due to the stock seat being soft, it would create hot spots and monkey butt syndrome. I would move around on the seat trying to relieve this. With the Corbin I get numb butt syndrome. I move around on the seat trying to get circulation back into my butt.

6' 1", 175lbs and I can ride for about 40 minutes on either seat before I need to pull over and step off for a few minutes.

Will this Corbin seat ever soften up? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Chuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Mine never did so I bought a Baldwin seat. I really like the shape of the Corbin seat and the room it gives you, but they are just hard. If it weren't for the metal rivets I would have probably tried to add a gel pad or firm memory foam to it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 AM

No...........I've had two (2) of them on different bikes and they are like riding on a brick.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and sorry to hear on your seat.
Hope something work out for you and

Will a lowering peg help to easy your sitting position as you are 6' +. sometimes your sitting position can also contribute to numb butt.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM

I know this may sound a little extreme, but have you tried to beat the seat with a wooden handle or something like that? I have a pair of kicking/focus pads that were hard as a brick; killed your shins to kick them. I decided to beat them with my wooden sword. Now, they feel good. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM

It's not designed to get soft like a seat foam that starts out soft. The only thing is does is get a "little" softer at the high pressure points and that lets it form to your shape. Some people like them, some don't. I've had some Corbin seats that never became comfortable. I'm 6' and 175 and the Corbin for the V was good for me right out of the box; much better than the one I had on my SV1000N. Overall, I found Sargent seats to be most comfortable but unfortunately they don't make a seat for the V and have no plans to do so. Put the stock seat back on for a while then return to the Corbin; I'll bet you will appreciate the Corbin more then.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM

After 8000 miles mine was just as hard as it was on day one. I sold it and modified the stock seat. That was 5000 miles ago. My backside appreciated the change.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Okay, so this might sound silly, but have you ever thought about getting someone that is quite large to sit on the seat for a while? You are quite tall and skinny (I know, I'm 6', 165lbs). Would a larger persons weight (300+) possibly loosen up the seat a bit? If this sounds stupid, just ignore it.

Also, I'm no seat modifier guru, but could you possibly drill really small holes in the seat? Something that might help dampen the seat a bit while you are on it. Once again, if that sounds even worse than the first suggestion my bad. Just throwing something out from left field. I think I need my morning coffee to wake up the brain.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Last edited by bill_milstead; 08-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
Hi all,

A quick introduction. I purchased a leftover stock 2008 Versys this summer. I've been riding for 5 years, owned several bikes and found the Versys to be perfect for me.

Stock seat was not comfortable. I got an Alaska Leather Rally special buttpad. This made it better. I cut some foam and put under the front of the buttpad, this made it even better. Eventually I ordered a Corbin seat thinking this would be perfect.

400 miles later... things are not perfect yet. Due to the stock seat being soft, it would create hot spots and monkey butt syndrome. I would move around on the seat trying to relieve this. With the Corbin I get numb butt syndrome. I move around on the seat trying to get circulation back into my butt.

6' 1", 175lbs and I can ride for about 40 minutes on either seat before I need to pull over and step off for a few minutes.

Will this Corbin seat ever soften up? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Chuk
I had this problem after about 2500 miles I emailed Corbin and they told me to use Mother's Leather Conditioner on it to "soften" the leather, but it didn't help. I ended up selling it, modifying my stock seat from underneath to bring the front up, and buying the peg lowering kit. The seat is comfortable for about an hour now before I get annoyed. A butt pad would likely fix that.

Corbins are designed to be ungodly hard. They claim it distributes weight and removes pressure points , but my two pressure points were exacerbated with the Corbin.

Now the folks that buy Baldwin seats say they are awesome. Same for sending the stock seat to Spencer and having him mod it.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM

will it ever soften up?

I bought a corbie for my xr and I'm still waiting for it to soften.....that was 50,000km ago................still waiting........
as far as weight (heavy rider) helping to soften.....nope

IMO corbins are a waste of loot
Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM

The Corbin WILL NOT "break in"; ride it far enough and your butt will??? :>)
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Interesting thread...I put a Baldwin on and while it does keep the boyz off the tank it is GAWDAWFUL hard...Can't even ride 20 miles before my ass starts bothering me...At least the oem seat was good fpr a 100 miles or next gas stop...Worst investment I ever made, the worst...Before any of you spend 6 large you better now what you want.
I like the "beating it with a stick idea" though...Beat the seat, beat the buzzy cluster...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM

don't be bad boy Johnny!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM

I guess I am in the minority here. The stock seat was way too soft for me. 5'8" 200#.

I've done several 1000+ mile days on the Corbin with an Alaska Leather dead sheep thinghy. My ass has never complained. Not once. Trust me, throwing money at a bike means nothing to me. If this Corbin was junk I would have sold it in a heartbeat. IMO stock seat is nothing but a bar-to-bar seat.

To do long all day (and half the night) rides, any longrider will tell you, one requires a hard firm seat. When the ass goes everything else follows,,,,,
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Saw once the Discovery channel's "How do they do it" on making baseball gloves. They sure whacked the shi...t out of it to make it soft and nice.

and Shukzelda

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM

+1 on what Siyeh said. Spent 7 straight days on the Corbin and firm is good.
I have found that, for me, it takes a good long ride to get used to any new saddle.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM

$400+ is an unreasonable amount of money to charge so your butt can "get used" to the "better" seat. But in Corbin's defense, they didn't have a lot to work with. The seat pan is shallow so they couldn't really pad it very well. Top it off with the weird stitching pattern and it tightened the seat up so much it's unbearable after about 20 minutes. It's not even a good seat for bar hopping. A softer leather would have helped and even a bit more padding in the butt area. No Padding is bad, which is what the Corbin seat has. I've seen probably 20 Corbin seats riding around to Bike Nights and never seen one with as little padding as the Versys Corbin.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Mink Wax.

Man I hate to hear that anybody dropped their hard earned money on a Corbin and did not like it. I have tested a few things to see if there was something that would help keep the seat soft. I though mine was perfect out of the box. 6K miles later it seams to have taken some shape. This actually happened for me around 2K miles. I wash mine with Kiwi saddle soap about once every month or so to remove the road crud. Towel dry and air dry for a while, then treat it some Kiwi Mink Wax let is absorb for 30 minutes then rub clean with some paper towels. Keeps seat soft and leather from cracking.

Angst out!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM

No, it will not get softer... I have had many Corbin seats and sort of like them but, sooner or later it will tenderize (or toughen) your A$$... Your butt will become with the seat...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM

No. Sold my Corbin, got a Russell.

Corbin = never again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in