2 up camping on the V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2 up camping on the V

Can it be done? Anybody done a long trip this way?

I was planning an Alaska trip next year on the V. Long story short is my youngest son invited himself and pretty much has the whole thing planned already.

It sounded great at first but now that I have laid out all the crap we would need to take I'm not sure I can fit it all on the bike. I have HT side cases and a container on the back already. Adding another sleeping bag, pad, and a weeks worth of clothes is making it tough.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Don't miss this opportunity.

I don't know your son's age, but if he's on the lighter side, find a way to make it work.

This might mean missing the haul roads and certain things, but man, what an experience to share.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

We are going either way. I am just trying to decide if it will be camping or hoteling. Right now we need a Uhaul to carry everything.

I like the flexibility of camping but two bags, pads, tent, cooking gear, and misc other crap take up a lot of room. Not to mention that he will be taking up my overflow packing area. We can do it with no problem if we stay at hotels.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650

Last edited by kenr74; 08-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:25 PM

You might try checking out an ultra light backpacking web site for tips. I'm no expert but it seems people really load up their bikes and would enjoy the experience a lot more going with less or with light weight gear.
check backpacking.net

Donn
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM

If I can take my girlfriend, on a one month cross country camping trip.... then I'm sure your son will be no problem.

Pack light. Very, very light. Do a practice run, with your son, anything that is not used on that run get rid of.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM

That is a good point. If you pack very light, you can manage SOME camping gear to gain some flexibility but still count on hotels every other night or so to regroup / launder clothes.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Jeans can go 2 or 3 days, as can outer shirts or riding gear. Undies and T-shirts for a week. Many motels have washer/dryer facilities. . Pool "floaties" pack small and are pretty comfy. Flyweight camp gear is avail as mentioned. Go and have a good time as well as carrying a cell phone and a CREDIT CARD or two (fixes almost all probs).

:>)-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
a cell phone and a CREDIT CARD or two (fixes almost all probs).
True... except in many parts of Alaska.

I'm with everyone else. Pack light and don't miss the opportunity to do something unforgettable with your son.

But also research and carefully consider potential needs in going to and from Alaska that wouldn't be needed on a local trip.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I do have mostly light weight gear that I use for climbing. I need to stuff my luggage and see what doesn't fit. I know I have a lot of stuff that is in the "nice to have" pile that could be left behind. Not sure if it would be better to go light or go hotel though.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM

each person could get by with one pair of jeans, assuming you were wearing riding pants most of the day, two shirts, undies, socks, just find a laundry and wash em as needed....better to carry more tools than clothes...and dont forget to bring a spare clutch cable, you can always buy a cheap pack of socks or undies and just toss em as needed to keep from overpacking
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Pack light, go camping or hoteling. If you go camping, then every 2-3 days hotel/motel it and wash the clothes. Buy stuff along the way that is cheap and then leave it.

My father and I did a couple of cross country tours, all in cages and with an objective not pleasure, but it was still fantastic! (BTW, if you wear glasses, bring a spare pair. The last trip with my father I broke his glasses.)

I haven't finished the book but when first reading this thread it made me think of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". (No, it's not too much about motorcycles.)

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Only pack enough clothes for 3 days at the most. And do you really need pads to sleep on? Well...I probably would.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 PM

almost forgot...bring a spare bike key!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 AM

Sounds like fun. My oldest daughter, who is 10, is REALLY wanting to go on a 2-day, overnight camping trip on the bike with me. I can't wait. Back roads the whole way....I don't care if it takes us 5 hours to go 100 miles. Like others said, MAKE IT WORK. And camp. Trust me, as a longtime Versys Camper, you need about as half as much as you think you do.....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 AM

There are some interesting setups and ideas on this thread over at AdvRider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=camping
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Do a practice run, with your son, anything that is not used on that run get rid of.
Most of us don't get such opportunity, so make use if this moment and your son will cherish it. Let him do most of the planing and you just be the driver. Let him see the world through your guidance and you will see your son-your true son.

Wish you and your son all the best and please keep us posted.

Last edited by Fastoman; 08-18-2010 at 02:25 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Only pack enough clothes for 3 days at the most. And do you really need pads to sleep on? Well...I probably would.

10 years ago I would say I don't need a pad, tent, or sleeping bag. After waking up for to many races cold and wet though I slowly have moved from sleeping on the ground to a cot then a tent trailer and now a decent RV. Old sucks, wait, I'm not old just mature.

I definitely need to look at my clothing. Good points on not needing two weeks worth of clothes. Most of my camping has been packing everything on my back so that makes it pretty easy to leave stuff behind.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode