Bicycle lanes.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bicycle lanes....

So I realize it's illegal (at least in Washington) to slip by lined up cars using the bicycle lane. I'm just curious if any of you know/understand the reasoning behind that law - wouldn't it help everybody if we keep traffic moving better by motorcycles using the bicycle lanes when needed?

Have any of you ever done it? Is it legal in some states/countries? If I was in a car, I wouldn't mind motorcycle passing me in the bike lane while stalled. Is it the bicycle people that get freaked out?

It's so tempting, and I'm struggling with the logic. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM

It's just not all together that safe.
A door could open, a car could make a right turn, a bicyclist could slip...
sure if we only used it when cars we're "stalled out," it may work to help traffic. However, if they legalized that it would quickly get out of hand to where motorcyclist would just use them too often.
In AZ motorcycle police do use the bicycle lanes though. Pisses me off, but nothing anyone can do about it. I confronted them once about it, and they gave me a load about how they can break minor rules to enforce justice/law... Funny how they had just pulled into a sandwich shop.
That being said, I do use bicycle lanes as a right turn lane if there is bogged down traffic. Cops have seen me do so, and have yet to say anything or stop me.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 08-17-2010 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
It's a lane for bicycles.

Srsly, a motorcycle can be as dangerous for a cyclist as a car can be for a motorcyclist. A bicycle lane is for cyclists to be able to ride safely (in theory), w/out larger, faster, motorized vehicles using that same space.

For safetly and general courtesy I would advise against riding your motorcycle in a bike lane.
+10. Well said sir.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM

What Remy said. It's for bicycles.

I laneshare, since I'm in CA, but that's using the motor vehicle portion of the lane, between the cars. I don't think I could go back to living in a place where it's illegal. Cops definitely do it, and there's nothing better than following a lanesharing cop. It's like following Moses across the Red Sea.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post

I laneshare, since I'm in CA, but that's using the motor vehicle portion of the lane, between the cars. I don't think I could go back to living in a place where it's illegal. Cops definitely do it, and there's nothing better than following a lanesharing cop. It's like following Moses across the Red Sea.
Awesome! That was funny and very true.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM

The bike lane is for bicyclists.

Don't use the fake reasoning that it will help everyone if the occasional motorcycle illegally uses the bike lane. There are not enough motorcyclists to make a difference there. It is mostly your impatience talking there.

And be aware, you are one of the very few people in a car that does not mind if a motorcycle uses the bike lane.
Most people will feel slighted because you basically "jump the line" (which gets people unreasonably furious) and you are doing something illegal, and potentially dangerous to bicyclists.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

OK ok ok ok ok ok ok ok fair enough, I'll be good and stand there for 10 minutes in stop & go in a million degrees when I just wanna take the right turn 50 feet away, and the bike line is empty....

Arrgh! hehe
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
OK ok ok ok ok ok ok ok fair enough, I'll be good and stand there for 10 minutes in stop & go in a million degrees when I just wanna take the right turn 50 feet away, and the bike line is empty....

Arrgh! hehe
Right turn 50 feet away? Why didn't you say so? Here in CA the line demarcating the bike lane from the car lane start that far from a stop sign, IIRC. That's a different question.

Oh, and like RGal, despite the fact that I used to live in WA state, and love the PNW, I don't think I could go back to live somewhere that lanesharing was not legal.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:45 PM

I just wish we had bicycle lanes here. Instead, the dumbasses ride their bicycles, all decked out in their lance armstrong tour de france lookalike outfit, doing all of 15 mph if that, in the middle of the damn road.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Martin, I understand you completely. I wish we could split lanes in texas, or use a bike lane. Most people are against it and will argue how dangerous it is, but I feel the opposite. I think it's actually safer.

I have split lanes on occasion when traffic is stopped and it's really hot outside.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Bicicle lanes are for non motorized vehicles. Give the cyclist some room they deserve it.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Talking The name says it all

At the risk of getting flamed.....Cyclists in general pay the same motor vehicle taxes as the rest of society and have equal right to use the road for transportation. Bike lanes are designed to keep cyclists out of traffic for both safety and traffic flow.

And it's a blast to pass all you cagers at rush hour!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 AM

+1 I got your back Bob!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
At the risk of getting flamed.....Cyclists in general pay the same motor vehicle taxes as the rest of society and have equal right to use the road for transportation.
I not going to flame you, just strongly disagree since I hate this argument.
So what if they pay taxes for their cars. I pay motor vehicle taxes on my truck, so does that mean I don't have to for my V??
Of course not! I have to pay yearly for every vehicle I own including my quad which isnít even road legal.

Bikes are considered vehicles on the road and special lanes are specifically setup for them. Why they don't have some sort of registration and tax system for them is beyond me.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post

In the absence of a cop you could try putting an after market can and drop a cog or two. I find an MTC can at around 5..6,000 RPM clears the most persistent hogs, well except white vans and 4WD such as Porsches,, BMW's and virtually an AUDI. And those guys will probably try to close th egap becuase they are selfish %£"%!. in the UK at least it looks like the car of choice for your aspirational ^£$! is now an Audi
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM
djg

We should have motorcycle lanes, we deserve them.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
We should have motorcycle lanes, we deserve them.
+1

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Every lane is a motorcycle lane, and I like that. The last thing in the world I want is one lane for motorcyclists, and other lanes for other motorized traffic. No thank you.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by basby View Post
I not going to flame you, just strongly disagree since I hate this argument.
So what if they pay taxes for their cars. I pay motor vehicle taxes on my truck, so does that mean I don't have to for my V??
Of course not! I have to pay yearly for every vehicle I own including my quad which isnít even road legal.

Bikes are considered vehicles on the road and special lanes are specifically setup for them. Why they don't have some sort of registration and tax system for them is beyond me.
Amen brother! I say charge them a registration fee and slap a plate on thier ass.....I'll share the road when they share the fees....and follow the rules..
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
..........and follow the rules..
Pot.. meet Kettle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode