Anniversary Trip Report - Sequoia Nat'l Park - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anniversary Trip Report - Sequoia Nat'l Park

A few weeks back I posted that my wife, Loralee graciously agreed to our first overnight trip on the Versys to celebrate 15 years of marriage. I am happy to report, the she loved the ride, and is looking forward to another 15 years of marriage, and another trip! That being said, what follows is my first attempt at a trip report. Forgive me if the words are not eloquent and if the photos are not up to snuff.

Friday August 6th - Clovis, CA to Sequoia National Park

The plan today was to leave Clovis, CA and take highway 180 east to pick up highway 63. Sure, the direct route down highway 99 would have been quicker, but I really wanted to take the wife out on some of the back roads to enjoy the rolling hills and being out in nature.

The wife and the Versys ready to hit the road.

All the trip planning I did was pretty accurate, but should have made a stop at Orange Cove. Orange Cove was only 45 minutes out from our house, so I thought we could push it all the way down to Visalia - big mistake. The wife’s hind quarters got a bit tired pushing another 30 minutes to Visalia. Lesson learned there! Have ordered a ProPad to make it a bit more comfortable the next time out.

Wife eating a muffin at Starbucks in Visalia.

From Visalia, we headed east on 198 to Three Rivers, CA. Beautiful scenery, but we were both enjoying the ride so much that we didn’t stop to take any pictures. Stopped at Three Rivers for a “butt break” and to fuel up.

Gratuitous shot of the bike at a gas station.

Made it to Sequoia National Park around noon. Learned that at the park they only charge $10 for a motorcycle to enter. HOWEVER, that is $10 per person, so we had to pay $20 just like a car. Oh well, the views were worth it.

As we rode into the park, my wife noticed a huge rock formation off in the distance. I told her that was Morro Rock and before long she was going to be on top of it. She didn’t know - and I didn’t tell her, we were going to climb a ¼ mile up 400 stairs to see the view from the top. We were lucky enough to get a great parking spot right at the trailhead to Morro Rock.

Morro Rock from a distance.

Here is the first stretch of the climb.

Wife taking a breather.

The views at the halfway point were breathtaking.

Me trying to not look too tired since we had a long way to go to get to the top.

The stairs at one point get pretty steep.

Finally made it to the top and Loralee is smiling! Not sure if she was happy to be there or happy to find a place to throw me off the mountain!!

View from the top.

We finally headed down the mountain back to the V and geared up. We were headed to Wucksaki Lodge for a late lunch. Pulled into the restaurant at 2:15PM, and found out we barely made the 2:30PM lunch cutoff. Maybe that explains the poor food we had. It was not good at all, but here are pics of it anyway.

Left the lodge and headed to the General Sherman tree. Pictures can’t do justice to how magnificent these trees are.

General Sherman Tree

Looking very small next to one of these bad boys.

Left the park around 5:30PM and headed for our final destination for the day, Lemon Cove and the Plantation Bed & Breakfast.

The Plantation from the front.

Plantation Gardens

In the words of my wife, “this place is a little slice of paradise.” We both truly enjoyed it. If you ever get the chance, be sure to check it out.

Loralee resting after a long day in the saddle.

After a dip in the pool and some an hour or so in the hot tub, we headed up to our room to “nap” Let’s be honest, we didn’t nap Eventually, we geared up for a short ride into Exeter for a wonderful dinner at Orange Blossom Junction. This place has some of the best steak I have ever had.

Dinner looked like this.

After a great dinner, headed back to The Plantation to call it a night.

That’s day 1. I will try to get day 2 posted tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Okay so far so good , will see how your report on day 2 is-. jokes aside, nice write up and thanks for taking the trouble to share with us.

wish you and Loralee many more years of happy union.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great pic's and congrats on 15 years, that view looks like it was worth the walk up.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Congrats on the 15 years and the trip! It all looks and sounds great!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Looks like fun. Great idea on the B&B. I've had my wife on a half day ride with lunch in the middle. A B&B should convince her to try an overnighter.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the positive comments. The B&B really worked out well. My wife never expected that I would want to stay at one, and she was thrilled that we did.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
Thanks for all the positive comments. The B&B really worked out well. My wife never expected that I would want to stay at one, and she was thrilled that we did.

You did good!

Great report & pics, the B&B was a nice touch.

And congrats to the two of you!!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Day 2 - Lemon Cove, CA to Dunlap, CA

We awoke to a beautiful, calm morning.

View of the pool as the sun was coming up

Around 9:00AM we headed down to breakfast on the patio. Food was great, but we were a bit concerned about eating spicy foods since we had a long day on the bike ahead.

Breakfast

The innkeepers, Scott and Marie were wonderful hosts. So much so, that I made a fatal mistake without thinking. My ride research had me convinced that we should ride 245 from Lemon Cove all the way up to Dunlap. There are posts all over the net about how much fun the twisties are on 245. Sounded perfect to me! However, I made the mistake of asking Scott about the route I had planned when Scott and I were within earshot of my wife. Scott proceeded to say "You don't want to go that way! We call that the Vomit Highway." Right then and there I knew I was going to have to take a more mild road. Scott gave directions that Loralee listened to very intently! So I finished checking over the bike, and asked Marie to take one last pic for us in front of The Plantation.

We headed out of town and took whatever streets Scott suggested. I don't really remember the names since maybe I was pouting a bit since I didn't get to take all of 245 .

Eventually, the route Scott suggested met up with 245 so we did get to hit some of the twisties. YEAH! After 20 minutes or so, we pulled off to the side of road for a "butt break".

While we were stopped, I snapped the next shot. There is something about it that I really like. I know there are a lot better photographers out there, but this one sort of speaks to me. I actually have a framed 5x7 of it on my desk at work.

Fifteen minutes, later, we geared up again for the final 30 minute ride to our next destination, Sierra Endangered Cat Haven, in Dunlap, CA. The Cat Haven is really a zoo for some amazing cats. The owners have done a tremendous job of creating an environment that showcases the beauty of large cats.

This is Tango. Tango is a star of sorts. Does lots of commercials. Tango is the cat you see in many Addidas commercials.

Here is a lioness resting.

We took a ton of pics of the cats, but I don't want to bore everyone with them. If you check out their website you can see them better anyway. The website is www.cathaven.com.

After about two hours of looking at cats, we geared up for the drive home. Hated to point the V towards Clovis, but sadly all good things must come to an end. Stopped at Carl's Jr. in Reedley for a late lunch.

Finally got back on the bike and road the quick 20 minutes back to Clovis. We felt very blessed to have a wonderful trip and blessed to be home safely.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. The trip was just long enough to learn what to improve upon next time. I love my wife, my kids, my job, and my bike. What more could I ask for?

Until the next adventure.....

Last edited by Madone1; 08-17-2010 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Great to see a couple out enjoying life, just had a ring from my wife to clean our bikes as local paper wants to take a photo of us after she gets home from work and a small blurb about our riding. Has taken me twice as long to clean her dirty cruiser than my mighty V
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Nice report.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Enjoyed the ride report and congrats on 15 years of marriage!

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Great to see a couple out enjoying life, just had a ring from my wife to clean our bikes as local paper wants to take a photo of us after she gets home from work and a small blurb about our riding. Has taken me twice as long to clean her dirty cruiser than my mighty V
Not to hijack the thread, but assume you will be scanning & posting the article?

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeelybeast View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but assume you will be scanning & posting the article?
Yep will post a thread when article comes out next week
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 AM

Mr. and Mrs, Madone1. Congratulations.

Where there is love there is life. ~Indira Gandhi

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Couples that ride together stay together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode