v vs harley's - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
v vs harley's

I think i know the outcome but im still intersted if any of you would trade in your v for a harley?Well my brotherinlaw has a softtail he let me ride...all i can tell you is that i couldn't wait to get back on my v ..so much more comfortable and a lot more fun plain and simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
if i won a harley i would sell it without sitting on it. theres nothing about a harley i like. the only one i would have had was a 250cc motorcross bike they made in i believe 1978. awesome speed in the straight aways but not as good as the rm's cr's and yz's in the corners. saw one at the dealership colors orange and black and one at oak hill motocross track won the expert class fast fast bike.

Heres a link to it.

http://motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=76

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 PM

If I hit the lottery I think it would be fun to have something like a 1930's flathead to ride around the block once in a while. but that's about all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Maybe we should ask the question the other way: did anyone here trade in a Harley for a V?

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM

I've ridden 1000 miles in a day on my Versys, and 1000 and 1500 on a Harley Electra Glide. (Stories here when my computer's on during the day: http://www.tontodonato.com/LongDistance.htm)

The key was setting each up for optimal comfort and to have sufficient lighting.

Here is some rambling if you feel like reading on...

I've had a 99 and 05 Harley that each had to go due to personal issues. I had a V-Strom DL1000 but hated the V shaped seating position. I had an 09 Harley on order when they came out (new frame). After waiting forever for it, I found a new Goldwing for $15K and saved $5K on bike and accessories by not buying a Harley. It was nice except for the plastics keeping me from having my legs straight out, even on crashbar mounts. I sold it cause the 2 year old didn't give me enough riding time to justify the cost, and went out and bought the Versys the same day. Recently, my boss's Harley came on the market. Since he wouldn't settle on price, I bought one on eBay and have put the Versys up for sale. Today, I bought a sidecar for the Harley with the longer term plan of the 3 of us going on rides.

When I sit on the adjusted Versys, it is like putting on a glove and has an upright riding position. Easy to use. Nimble. When I sit on the HOG, it is like sitting on a sofa. put your feet up and sit back. Having not ridden one for 5 years, I had to re-adjust to things like the handlebars that shake when stopped, the left and right signal buttons, and how you have to work to "flick" it back and forth. It is stable as can be on the highway and has an air suspension.

Both great bikes. Chrome don't get you home but it sure looks nice.

Tony
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 PM

All bikes have ups and downs. Personally, I would sell the Harley and buy the V, a KLR, and have enough money left over to really play, maybe even go on vacation.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:06 PM

V for a Harley, no way. Harley for a V probably not, since I already have a V . Harley for an F800ST. Now we are talking.

The only Harley that have ever appeal to me is the XR1200 still don't believe it fits my style.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
did anyone here trade in a Harley for a V?
In a manner of speaking...sort of. My brother and I grew up with motorcycles. Our granddad was a gearhead and always had motorcycles. After WWII, he opened up shop and sold Indians. When Indian died he switched over to BSA/Triumph and then on to Kawi and Yamaha. He got out of the business in '80. I kept on witht he scooters while the rest of the family drifted away. Finally, I drifted away too in 2000. My bro got back into 'em around 2004 and bought a Soft Tail. Around that time he started in on me to get back into it as well, but I balked. He then bought a Road King and kept the Soft Tail. Then he traded the Road king on a newer Road King. At This point, you could say he is obsessed! LOL He then bought a couple flattrackers (old TT500 and a Rotax 600). Needless to say, I HAD to ride those. What a hoot! He tried to convince me to take the Rotax and make a street tracker out of it, but I declined.

Next he bought an 08 Crossbones. I went on a short trip with him (about 100 miles). He took the Road King, I took the 'Bones. That was it. The bug was back in a big way! After a few months, he tried to give me the Crossbones. Free and clear. I thought about it, but it wasn't what I wanted so I declined. It was DAMN hard to turn down though I must admit.
Harley's are very hard to beat for "cool factor", but the riding position is all wrong for me. That was when I decided to get the V. So in a round about way, yes I traded for a V.

Meanwhile, he buys an XR1200. Yes, it's true, he now has 4 HD's. Indeed he is ill! The XR1200 is a really cool machine. I hadn't given it enough credit until I got the chance to be around one. It has 2 faults that stand out. 1: the stock seat sucks. (Sounds familiar don't it!) and 2: the stock pipes are HOT! I don't mean hot like all exhausts, I mean HOT like you don't want to be sitting still on it. It accelerates better than the V, stock vs stock it sounds better than the V, it's top speed is a bit higher than the V, it wheelies easier than the V. It is indeed a cool machine that looks much better in person than it does in pics.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Most Harleys are cruisers, so the two riding styles seem antithetical to me. Not only are the bikes radically different, the riders are too. Last month I passed a group of Harleys going over the pass from Durango, CO to Silverton who were following a cement truck of all things, and either fearing to split up their group or just not caaring, they had a long line of cars backed up behind them. That's just crazy IMO, but it illustrates a fundamental difference between probably any Cruiser and a street bike, (or whatever the Versys is).

I also recently went on a ride with a bunch of Harleys, and a gs1150, a Norton swiftback(?), and me on my V in Mexico. During the first phase of the ride, I was following a baddass looking harley through some twists, and finally passed him in a no passing zone, followed immediately by my pal on the Norton. Then we got stuck behind a police car, and rode excruciatingly slowly through some excellent twists and turns. When we got to our turnaround point, we had lunch, and I commented how it was a drag we got behind the cop, the guy with the big Harley, noted that he was quite happy with the speed we had rode. Go figger... On the ride back, the GS, Norton, and I rode back before the rest of the group and tore up those same twisties, with big grins on our faces. Those long forks just don't do what the Versys can do in the corners, and apparently some riders don't care to ride as hard as others. C'est la vie. And my answer to the question is "No", I would not trade my V for a Harley.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Why not have one of each? When I got my V this year, I kept my 03 Sportster and am so glad I did. Each bike has it's own personality and character, so it's impossible to say one is better than the other...just different. When I'm in the laid back cruiser mode, I jump on the hog. But when I feel like rippin up the twisties, the V come out of the garage. And hopefully when I finish paying off the V, I'' get a 3rd bike

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM

A better question to ask would be,

"Has anyone actually enjoyed riding a Harley, other than those wondering how their great-grandfather (or great-great-grandfather)felt riding one in 1901?"

Or...(fill in your own question)

One of my best friends has a Harley. He looks the part and we ride together all the time. I razz him and also have a ball watching him try to keep up! I can actually see his knuckles, in my mirrors, turning white around 85 MPH

This is a GREAT thread!

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 08-15-2010 at 11:23 PM.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:05 AM

I would not consider trading my *V* for a Harley or any other V-twin cruiser for that matter. I just don't like the V-twin engine, no matter who makes it. I have ridden a couple and always come to the same conclusion.

The sitting style of a cruiser is just not comfortable to me as I have always liked the upright postition. The friend I ride with is currently in the Harley phase and that's fine, as we just like different rides.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
A better question to ask would be,

"Has anyone actually enjoyed riding a Harley, other than those wondering how their great-grandfather (or great-great-grandfather)felt riding one in 1901?"

V-Zee
I do.Bought a 2004 sportster roadster a couple of years ago I think it was bike # 43 first Harley I ever owned . It has been a real good bike and fun to ride . I have it set up pretty nice with ohlins shocks .ricor intiminators and works dual rate fork springs. fork brace, steering damper ,metzler tires.
I don't dress like a pirate .I wear a ff helmet Joe rocket jacket draggin jeans boots road racing gloves. I also own 2008 versys . Another good bike .I can honestly say when Im riding the Harley I have never wished I was on the versys and when riding the versys I never wished I was on the harley.
I would consider trading the versys on a xr1200 but I also would consider trading the Harley on the z1000. I just like motorcycles and both bikes are on a list of many different bikes I have owned and hopefully many more different ones to come.

Last edited by turn8a; 08-16-2010 at 05:56 AM.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I have never been a Harley fan however I can appreciate some of there bikes. I can't see buying one because of the cost, don't think you get what you pay for. Plus I feel Harleys are like tattoos these days I feel more trending NOT having one. Around here HD bikes out number all other brands 3 to one....so much for being a rebel...you own a bike that looks like everyone elses...lol
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
Why not have one of each? When I got my V this year, I kept my 03 Sportster and am so glad I did. Each bike has it's own personality and character, so it's impossible to say one is better than the other...just different. When I'm in the laid back cruiser mode, I jump on the hog. But when I feel like rippin up the twisties, the V come out of the garage. And hopefully when I finish paying off the V, I'' get a 3rd bike
+1

I own both and like to ride both, it just depends on what kind of riding I feel like doing when leaving the house.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Each to their own, my wife has a metric cruiser, some of our friend's have Harleys and they all give my wee V a hard time until some twisties come along and I wave them all goodbye and say kiss my arse if you can catch it, its all good fun but have found true harley riders can be a bit sensitive to any comment about their horse.
Met a guy on a track day who was riding a new 1000cc GSXr but told me he had to buy a Harley to go riding with some of his clients or they would make him ride at the back with any other bike, I could not follow that rule, would have to go to the front but there appears to be a Harley code.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM

Reviewers say that the New and Improved for 2011, "xr1200x"...is suddenly sorted out suspension-wise.
It is a sharp looker IMHO.
But $11,799.00 US dollars for a 1200cc air-cooled bike that only puts out 80hp at the wheel seems kinda steep when you consider that a Kawasaki V-1000 cost $1300 bucks less.
and the Harley only has a 150 mile range with its tiny 3.5 gal. tank.
But the xr1200x is a looker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.8 KB, 136 views)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 08-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

ive a Fatboy and a verseys both differant bikes more fun on the versys more cooler on the harley.

I like them both but end of the day the versys is my hack and a very good one too
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't trade the V for any Harley. Or any cruiser, for that matter. Nothing against them, they're just not my thing.

At Americade this year, one of my friends, who rides a '95 HD Electra Glide, wanted to do the Victory test ride. So, off we went. He went straight to the big Vision. Not knowing anything about Victory's lineup, myself and the other friend I was with just jumped on whatever else was there. I believe I said, "I guess I'll take that blue one." (It turned out be be a Hammer). I liked the torque of the big v twin, but trying to turn it scared me. Making a right turn coming out of the park, I couldn't turn in sharp enough to stay in my lane. I wandered into the oncoming lane a bit. It just didn't handle like the Versys.

BTW, my friend who rode the Vision, LOVED it. To each his own, I guess...

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Would I trade one for the other (either way)? No. But, I don't have to; I'm lucky that my business (had my own for 22 years now) has been successful enough that I consider myself comfortable, not rich but comfortable.

Look at my signature and you will see that I have an assortment of different bikes. In addition to the ones I have now, I've owned 11 others. After hundreds of thousands of miles on two wheels, I no longer feel the need to get an adrenalin rush EVERY time I ride. I still enjoy it but I don't need it every time. I use one of my bikes just about everyday for one reason or another. I use them to run business errands, to ride to eat or just to ride to ride. Sometimes I like to strafe the curves and sometimes I like to just enjoy the scenery. You don't want a Harley, don't buy one. That's your choice. Let me tell you this; Harleys do what they were designed to do very well. The three I've ridden previously saw well over 80,000 trouble free miles each and my RK has 30,000 on it with no problems. Do some people have problems with their Harleys, yes; but I've had problems with bikes from the big four also. BTW, don't start the BS about leaking oil either. The AMF days are LONG gone.

I guess what I'm saying is; don't knock something till you try it. If you've tried it and don't like it, fine; but at least give it a fair chance without prejudice.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode