Would you? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would you?

Hi all,

I've not posted in a while due to work and riding and figured it was a good time to post a question. To give you some background for the question. I sort of had a life altering experience. I was hit head on by a pickup while riding my Versys. It made a sudden left hand turn in front of me at about 7 yards away while I was doing 30 to 35 mph. If you do the math I was going about 44 feet per second if I was doing 30 mph. In less than a half of a second I impacted the front of the truck. The woman that hit me claims she never saw me, even though it was broad daylight and the sun wasn't low enough to be in her eyes.

The Versys was totaled, I was life flighted to Akron General. I ended up in the ICU for about a week and two surgeries to put my arms and left leg back together. As I write this I'm in a nursing home for recovery and rehab.

I do like taking long trips, but next year I'd like to ride out to the west coast from here in Ohio. I've considered a DL1000 (VStrom) for this. There isn't any question on getting back on a bike. The question is, "Do I get another Versys, or look at other options?" What would you do, and what would you look at?

Maloy

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...p_product=TRNN

R.I.P.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Best of luck and healing to you man, hope you get a little edge for the rest of your life....I say explore all options, if you wanted a little more power, look for it, if you ride something that feels right, go with it.....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Holy crap man! Heal up and research your options. It's all up to you and what you want to do. Just take care of yourself! I haven't done any trips yet on the V, but yeah, I would get another one. Unless you were looking at other bikes before the accident.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you're on the road to recovery!!

As far as bike choice, if it were me & I was buying a bike for that specific purpose, I wouldn't go with a Versys. The V-strom 1K would probably work, and there are other bikes that would be far more comfortable than the Versys that I would be looking at. I would look at a few, research the pros & cons, then make a choice. And I'm not saying you couldn't do it on a Versys, just saying I wouldn't.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 AM

If you look at our bikes as tools then the V is a tool for fun but perhaps not the best choice for touring. A tool for touring is my old Goldwing that is the most comfortable thing I have ever ridden long distance but is absolutely not the right thing in the twisties. Is there a compromise out there.....probably..... but by it's very definition it will not be the best at any one particular thing. Lots of choices out there, good luck with yours.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 AM

I agree with bear....for long distance riding I would consider a bigger bike. That is if that's all you're going to do. Guess it also depends on your funds.

Hope you make a speedy recovery.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM

I owned a DL1000 V-strom for 9,000 miles. I hated it. Traded it for an ST1300 which was a superior bike.

My hate list for the Suzuki:

Suspension was terrible. Rough roads had the bars constantly shaking. Overdamped?
The windscreen and fairing design was terrible. I tried 3 screens and the Madstad bracket and could never eliminate the buffeting.
The steering geometry was scary with a passenger and luggage at parking lot or offroad speeds. Would set into a weave slowing to a stop at stoplights.
The engine had a very rough spot around 4k rpm.

Look for a used ST1300, FJR, etc.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM

I hope your recovery goes well, nice that you are looking to get back into riding again. I might consider going back to another versys if it were me, reason is its A good every day bike with the ability for the occasional tour. I am sure there are better options for an all out touring machine, but how would they be for just day to day riding and commuting. I do like the adventure touring style bikes the strom seems like A good choice as well as the bmw adventure bikes, but really what I think is irrelevent, its what you want thats important.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 AM

So sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear about your recovery.

Get well soon man. Much more experienced riders are here on the forum so I will let them speak to your bike options.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your best wishes.

I do like the twisties and the Versys is great for that. For me the road is more important than the destination. One example is when I go down to deals gap I like the Blue Ridge Parkway as one of the main roads down. So something nimble is a MUST.

As for cost, by the time everything is settled over my accident, my lawyer says I'll be able to afford about any bike I want with money left over. The only thing I've agreed upon is the value her insurance has agreed to pay for my Versys. It will be about $450 less than what I had in it. So there was a check in the mail for $6900. I like the look of the green '09 and the 2010 model if I replace mine.

Between the medical and pain and suffering it will end up having a heavy cost. The bill for medical is over $30,000 already. Just having a catheter stuck in me for the last six weeks is suffering enough, which comes out tomorrow, let alone the pain from my broken limbs and loss of income.

Maloy

PS--I'll be riding this until I decide on a Versys replacement. I bought this last year. I wanted one of these since I was 16 over 30 years ago! It's an all original Honda CL360 Scrambler. It still has the tool kit.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc

Last edited by maloy; 08-15-2010 at 01:46 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Maloy, glad to hear your on the mend after a terrible accident, love the old honda. You need to get what bike you want but one thing I did pick up in your last post was the word nimble and the V has that in spades. all the best mate with whatever you do.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 AM

Sport/touring bikes

I had a 2004 BMW R1150rt and it is a great bike... very comfortable and good in the twistys. I never owned a Honda ST bike but have always wanted one.
Besides my 2008 Versys I have a 2005 Yamaha Venture (1300 cc, 800 pounds) no good in the twistys but a great long distance bike.

Cb
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Get well soon and trust you will ride again.
On the bike, its not about the bike but it's you. You need to fine one that fit's you and not the bike fitting you.

To me the V fit's me fine for long or short tours.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM

my dream bike is, without any doubt the new ducati multistrada 1200. As nimble and light as the versys and a whole lot more powerfull!!!! other great touring bike would be the honda vfr 1200, but that's more heavy (265kg)

If I had the money, I wouldn't even begin to think about anything else!

PS: Recover well! as a medic-to-be, I sure know how painfull that is!

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM

You have received great feedback from everyone. Being that money will not be a problem, I would just add one more factor to the equation for touring. I rode a GL1800 Goldwing for 60k thousand miles and it is the ultimate touring bike. I also put 30k on a Yamaha Venture. Great bike! However, weight kind of became an issue over time. I just don't like hefting that much weight around. When fully loaded, these are behemoths. I went down to a Yamaha FJR1300 and rode 80k on it. I loved it but now I don't want to spend a bunch of money heading into retirement. So, the Versys seems to be the perfect match for my needs at the time. These are important factors you will need to consider among other things (looks, power, fuel). It is fun to ride in total comfort, but not fun if you are dropping the bike at slow speeds or having to muscle it around a parking lot.
I really hope the healing goes well, and I am very glad you are going to be ok. The bike is least important thing when something like that happens.
Happy Trails

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Get well soon. I'm still healing from a wreck in June, but not near as bad as yours was. I have no problems taking the V on long trips and I have several in the shed to choose from.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Maloy,
Good Morning!
Hope you are feeling well and dreaming about your next adventure (with a V). As we speak I am waiting for my seconded Versys to arrive. It will be a week or so before I receive, but worth the wait. I can tell you since selling my first Versys two years ago, I have had 6 motorcycles and currently enjoying the commute a 98 PC800. In the two years of owning the other bikes, all of which were outstanding, none felt as perfectly balances, fun and functional as the V. I have decided that this V will be my last motorcycle for a long time. I am certain I will lust for others for reasons beyond my sane manner. But where I am in life now, I feel the V was everything all the others were and then some. I have mostly enjoyed all the customizing these bike allows and not costing a fortune to do it. This one has some very nice Farkles waiting for her to arrive.
If you were in a car accident and you walked away from the accident would you be inclined to get another car just like it? Did your beautiful V sacrifice itself in anyway so that you could go on with out her or did she contribute to the severity of the accident? If I am a betting man, your V allowed you that split second of reaction to help you survive what could have been your last moment. With that said, I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope you embrace everyday moving forward. Each day is such a gift and to think we have beautiful family, friends and a motorcycle to enjoy and share it with is our greatest gift.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Maloy,

I am glad to see you personally posting to the forum after the accident instead of reading a post from family, friends or a loved one that was following up.

Hope you have speedy recovery as I can't imagine what you are going though.

I was just sitting here thinking about your question and a couple of thoughts come to mind: You are thinking about a long trip but how many days & miles per day do you think you will ride? My reasoning is if you are looking at a few hundred miles per day, another *V* may be your best choice since you apparently like it. If you did go up to a bigger bike and satisfy the requirements of this trip, when yout return, is it a bike you want to ride everyday? Not sure if your *V* was your everyday bike or not.

If you plan on riding just one bike, most of the time, a big bike may not be as enjoyable for short trps to work, compared to touring. We have a ST1300 for touring as there is no way my bride would ever take a trip onthe *V* as she does not like it. So that is "our" bike while the *V* is my daily ride.

Tough choice I know, but not sure if you were looking for a touring type bike for a trip or two, and this would also be the daily ride or not.

Either way, hoping for a speedy recovery

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Glad to hear you're healing up and that your still excited about bikes. Go check out some of the pricey bikes, ride a few, and if something catches your fancy, get it. It's hard to beat a V for an all-around bike though- you'll probably come back. Shoot, maybe you should just one of the Green ones and spend the winter getting her ready for the Big Trip
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

First, get well. Wish you a quick return to riding shape. I did a rather long trip in my Versys not long ago. I admit that I wished for a larger more comfortable ride while in the interstate. However, as soon as I hit the scenic backroads, sweepers, and twisties where I spend most of the time. I was glad I was in my V. Im' still considering somethig bigger. A dealer tempted me with a low mileage used concours 14 at a ridiculous low price. So far I have not been able to justify the change. Maybe next summer I change my mind. In the man time I will continue enjoying what I have.

Get well soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode