If you were in the market RIGHT NOW.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you were in the market RIGHT NOW....

Hey everyone-

I just joined the forum today after lurking for a week or so. To try and make a long story short....

I just moved to western NC last Fall, and since then I've been wanting to get a bike again. It's been about 15 years since. Anyway, if you're familiar with the area, you know why it's killing me. "Tail of the Dragon" is 45 minutes away. Countless mountain logging roads surround me. Wayehutta ORV trails are 15 minutes from home. Even the average neighborhood street here is 10 times more exciting than the Texas roads I used to ride on.

Anyway, I really like the Versys and I'd like to buy soon. The problem is that NO ONE has a 2010's in stock, 2011's aren't out yet, and when they are, they'll probably get top dollar.

So, the question I have is this....if you all (who own a '08-'09 Versys right now) were in my shoes, do you think that the 2010-and-on improvements (suspension, engine mounts...what else?) justify the extra cost and wait time? The cheapest I've seen a 2010 listed - if you can find one - is for $7K. On the other hand, I could pick up a used '08 for around $4,000-$4500 around here. What do you all think? For what it's worth, I can afford paying for a new one....but that being said, I'd like to spend my money wisely.

Thanks in advance for y'all's help! (or as they say around here, "y'uns help").

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

To me, the '08 '09's are great bikes, especially at current used prices. I would pick up a nice used Versys & go ride!! Not THAT much difference.....

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Agree with Bear. Only a test ride on both will answer your doubts.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 PM

I agree, get a low mileage 08 or an 09, it's what I did, just hit CraigsList in your area every day with "versys" as search item...

-------------------------------------------------

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM

I love my 09, you might even find a brand new 09 left over for A great price.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM

There are still new 09's with great prices to be found. You need to go ride a few bikes before you leap though. The V's are really good bikes, but not perfect for everyone.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 PM

here is one on craigslist from winston salem
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/1894000990.html
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Isn't the only difference between the '10 and the previous models that it has rubber engine mounts and that none of the plentiful aftermarket stuff doesn't fit due to the new styling?

IMHO the price difference is not worth the changes. The styling is the biggest difference and then it's up to you if that is worth the extra money. There are killer deals on leftover '09s around which, to answer your question in the subject line, I would buy in stead of the '10.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
here is one on craigslist from winston salem
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/1894000990.html
Thanks. These are exactly the kind of deals I keep seeing. When everything is said and done, I could get a low-mileage bike like this for about 40% less than a new one. Not to mention many of those for sale have expensive add-ons thrown in.

I've been reading up on this forum, and other reviews, and I suppose the biggest issue I'd be concerned with would be the vibration/buzzing issue that I keep reading about in the '08's and '09's. It's hard for me to say how bad it would bother me since I haven't experienced it myself. The impression I get is that the new engine mounts help with this? Again, I'd have to experience it to know what kind of a nuisance it would be. Either way, not sure if it would be 3 grand worth of nuisance if it were to happen...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 PM

I have a 2010 (black) V with 600 miles that I ride in northern WV. I have a 2009 (green) V with 2600 miles that I ride in north west NJ. Bought each one new. I love both bikes, but I find the 09 V actually a little smoother to ride than the 2010 (less vibration, in spite of the rear rubber engine mount). I wouldn't worry about the year - find one (either 09 or 10) in good shape for a good price and start enjoying it. I think you can still find either new or very low mileage 09s at very good prices.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 PM

I'd buy the 08-09 nice and cheap, then farkle the heck out of it. I think two forum members on here actually have both models. Other forum members on here have ridden both and I think they said the ride was about the same. We will have to see what they say.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Yep, there you have it. Just posted at the same time I did. Good job ScottyNeal!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and better to get 08/09 model-used units since you are back to bikes after 15years. Take your time and if you are in it then you can upgrade.

&
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
If you are concerned about vibration test ride and play with different rev ranges but the vib's can be minimised but a test ride will give you a very clear picture if the V
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM

I highly recommend a good used bike. Mileage wise, unless you see yourself keeping the bike for 10 years the engines are robust enough to outlast your attention span. Don't arbitrarily rule out bikes w 10-15k. Properly cared for the lump can go 100k. Look instead for a bike owned by a maintenance-competent adult rather than a teenager (when shopping I always look at the owner's car and house...gives you a good idea how attentive he is). I've bought 4 or 5 bikes in this manner and haven't gone wrong yet. Use the money you save to buy an aftermarket seat; the stocker sucks.

Then never look back and ride the piss out've it.

Last edited by Jdcooper; 08-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Found a local '09 for sale for about $4500 with only 700 miles on it. I may get a chance to check it out tonight, if not, Wednesday will be my next opportunity. I almost feel bad hearing this guy's story and all the others in the "for sale" ads....everyone's going broke with the economy.

The only catch (and part of the reason it's so cheap) is that it was dropped when his foot slipped on gravel at a stop. It has a dent in the tank and side fairing scuffed. The way I see it, though, is that 1) it's been broken in already and 2) he just paid for and completed it's first service check last week, and 3) that's cheap enough to give me reason to re-paint it anyway.

It's green....I know it's a Kawasaki thing, but I honestly don't like that color. Not to mention it being scratched up already could take off some of the "new bike" anxiety about keeping everything perfect.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnc View Post

It's green....I know it's a Kawasaki thing, but I honestly don't like that color. Not to mention it being scratched up already could take off some of the "new bike" anxiety about keeping everything perfect.
BE WARN SIR-timnc.
Do not say anything about GREEN here. Guys are a bit sensitive to GREEN colour. They say its the fasters....
Hope you will paint it blue just like mine.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
If you want speed orange and if you can't get that red very close 2nd
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 PM

I would have bought a used V if there were any in WA at the time I bought mine! I'd suggest a clean 08-09 and save a few grand.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnc View Post
Hey everyone-

I just joined the forum today after lurking for a week or so. To try and make a long story short....

I just moved to western NC last Fall, and since then I've been wanting to get a bike again. It's been about 15 years since. Anyway, if you're familiar with the area, you know why it's killing me. "Tail of the Dragon" is 45 minutes away. Countless mountain logging roads surround me. Wayehutta ORV trails are 15 minutes from home. Even the average neighborhood street here is 10 times more exciting than the Texas roads I used to ride on.

Anyway, I really like the Versys and I'd like to buy soon. The problem is that NO ONE has a 2010's in stock, 2011's aren't out yet, and when they are, they'll probably get top dollar.

So, the question I have is this....if you all (who own a '08-'09 Versys right now) were in my shoes, do you think that the 2010-and-on improvements (suspension, engine mounts...what else?) justify the extra cost and wait time? The cheapest I've seen a 2010 listed - if you can find one - is for $7K. On the other hand, I could pick up a used '08 for around $4,000-$4500 around here. What do you all think? For what it's worth, I can afford paying for a new one....but that being said, I'd like to spend my money wisely.

Thanks in advance for y'all's help! (or as they say around here, "y'uns help").

Tim
I was in the same boat you are and just bought an "08 a couple of weeks ago. You can read my post about what I've been through with this bike so far. I haven't ridden a '10, but I really can't relate to what all these princesses are whining about the vibration. yeah the mirrors shake, a couple of o-rings solved that. As far as motor vibration goes all 2 piston bikes vibrate at different frequencies..duh... if it's vibrating too much for your liking just shift, up or down. I personally don't find it objectionable. I really like the bike. I too have lot's of great roads to ride on and it's a really fun bike to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode