General Discussion Thread....? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
General Discussion Thread....?

Ok, took new to me Versys out today to put through the paces. First up, Rode down main highway that contains 4 dealerships today 2 small Kawasaki Dealers, 1 small Yamaha, and 1 giant Suzuki/Honda/Polaris/Victory dealer. (side note---this highway also used to have 3 Harley Davidson Dealerships on it too. They are now all closed within last year.) I am looking for sport saddle bags; Cortech, Fieldsheer, whatever. Nothing....Nothing at all. really? come-on. What do Dealerships actually sell? Financing? overpriced Oil Filters? If what you need is in stock, but they sure can order it for you! no s#!t you can order it for me. I can order it for me, through this thing called the internet. oh yeah...and it's cheaper. eh! Ok...forget it. headed to the mountains.

Rode 100 miles through mountains on the way home. Normal DRZ400SM route, but this time on the Versys. Tank +1...sure was nice to go all that way without a fill up.
Fuel gauge +1. Mirrors! nice to see whats back there for a change! Handlebars -1... Those things are just bent wrong. definitely going to need something straighter across. Footpegs +0...knees started to ache after about 2 hrs. no bueno, but tolerable, considering other bikes are intolerable. Seat +1...not great but not as bad as some. Tires -1...i have no confidence in the stock tires. terrible rubber. felt like i was going to low-side at every turn. they even felt like they were slipping or flexing at speed when cornering. Yowzers! i hope it's the tires and not the bike (or rider). Acceleration! +1...Wow!...who would have thought a parallel twin 650 had that in it. Top Speed? who knows? i saw the gauge say "100+" at least twice. Felt like it had more in it to me. it was no R1 but it'll do. Suspension?..+0..Felt good up front but like death out back. change some settings for next time. Looks +1...personally, i like the way the Versys looks i would have never even considered it otherwise. looks like some long-legged wolf-bug beast. That being said...the Silver plastic around the footpegs and the radiator looks like an afterthought. Come on Kawasaki, you can do better than that. They should have spent more time making the tube frame look better at the junctions. (love the tube frame!) And the foot peg brackets look like some jumbled mess of silver metal. Crap!

Verdict...jury is still out. I like alot of this bike, but i find myself wanting to change things.
Just how far over can this thing lean? I ride that DRZ400 to its max everytime i go out on it. I just didn't get the feeling that i could push the Versys the same way.

Anybody want to weigh in?

2005 Yamaha VStar 650 -(pfffh...sold)
2002 Yamaha R1-(sold)
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (hell yeah!)
2008 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Better tires. They're out there. I hear what you're saying about grip. I put Dunlop Roadsmarts on after the stockers wore out. Man what grip!! Great traction, confidence all the way to the edge of the tires. My only complaint about them, the rear wore out to fast for what they're reputed to last. I put a rear Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. Nowhere near as grippy as the Roadsmart. Not impressed at all. I will not be getting the Mich again. Even today, I felt the rear tire sliding through turns. Shouldn't happen with this tire. Never happened with the Roadsmart. New tires will make ALL the difference with your confidence in the twisties.

Footpeg lowering blocks from Speedy. Outstanding product! Drops the pegs about an inch. Nice improvement.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

+1 on the foot peg lowering blocks from speedy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I think i am going with Continental Road Attack when the stockers wear out. I have had them on three bikes i have owned and they never disappoint...unless you count having to put new ones on every year. Avon Distanzias would look cool on the versys and they really do handle very well, but i wore my last ones out after 2K miles, and that was before the price on them went waaaay up.
thanks for the info.

2005 Yamaha VStar 650 -(pfffh...sold)
2002 Yamaha R1-(sold)
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (hell yeah!)
2008 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode