Wake up stop - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wake up stop

I had a mild wakeup call on my way to work this morning. Two blocks from my house, there is an intersection with a traffic light with a very short yellow. As I approached the light, I saw the light changing. Knowing it is a short yellow and seeing a car ready to run left and another car stopped on the right I decided not to run the yellow and stop. I was going less than 35MPH but I had a very short reaction time so I hit the brakes knowing it was going to be a harder than usual stop. Next, the rear tire locked and the bike starts drifting right, instantly instinct took over

I point the front tire in the direction of the drift; release the front break, kept pressure on the rear break and counter balance the bike to avoid a slide. I finally stopped past the crosswalk with the bike straight up, almost parallel to the direction of travel and some smoke and the smell of burned rubber around me. I took a couple of steps back to make sure I am not in the middle of the intersection, looked around to see what caused the lock and the slide. Seeing nothing, I continued on my way to work once the light changes.

While on the way I started congratulating myself for a textbook recover off a rear locked and slide when suddenly I realized I made a very basic mistake. I hit the rear break hard before the front locking the rear tire. I asked myself why I did such a stupid thing. Now I realize that I was in a very familiar non-threatening surroundings and MY HAND WAS OFF THE BREAK WHEN APPROACHING THE INTERSECTION.

Lesson learned: Comfortable surroundings are not an excuse for using basic accident prevention techniques. While in heavy traffic keep the hand covering the breaks add to that while approaching ALL intersections or any other circumstances when a clean stop can save you from using your emergency recovery techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Exclamation

ABS for USA would be nice. Are you listening? Kawasaki?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
ABS for USA would be nice. Are you listening? Kawasaki?
+10 and ABS would be nice for ASIA too. We have it but as options and most dealers don't bring cause of price.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM

I'm glad you saved it and there was no impact at the end of the story, good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Next, the rear tire locked and the bike starts drifting right, instantly instinct took over

(...) release the front break, kept pressure on the rear break and counter balance the bike to avoid a slide.
Is that a dirt riding thing?
I have been in the same situation and my instict lets me release the rear, staying on the front for maximum braking power.

...As I write this, I realize this only works when the rear slide is very minor. If I would do that after the rear had stepped out significantly, I would probably highside.

So I consider "my" method to be more effective for a few degrees step-out, and "your" method better after the rear has slid out quite a bit more.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Attaway for steering into that slide!

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

MSF teaches you that, if the rear tire locks up, DO NOT let up on the brake. If you do, the rear tire could start fishtailing and then you have a high-side fall. The correct thing is to stay on the brake and let up on the front and steer with the slide. Now if the front locks up, you let off....

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the positive feedback. Never been congratulated before for making a mistake. MSF is correct about staying on the rear break and let go on the front. I remember as a kid riding a bmx bike on dirt that is how to avoid a high side fall. Learned the hard way about it. In dirt you let go of the rear break and the rear tire will follow the front straightening the bike. On pavement letting go off the rear break will cause the wheels to rotate at different speeds and at different directions causing the entire bike to rotate on its longitudinal axel. Long for a high side fall. I rather stay with the rubber side down. However if you are going to fall, the low side is the place to go.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
...... However if you are going to fall, the low side is the place to go.
That;s what I tell my son, "You CAN make that curve, and if you don't, at least you're on the low side..."

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
I had a mild wakeup call on my way to work this morning. Two blocks from my house, there is an intersection ...
The other factor was that your tires were cold.

I was two blocks from my house the other day when somebody poked out of a drive and my rear locked up (just) from a touch of the brake.

I tested it again at a similar speed a few minutes later and the tires were warm enough.

Glad you stayed upright

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Did not think about tire temp. That day the temp was rather cool for Colorado summer morning. We can get as cool as upper 50s f at night and climb to the 90's f during the day. It take a few miles to get the tires to the right temp up here. Not a problem when touring and riding the twities since most of the good roads, with one exception, are over 40 miles away.

Good thinking, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode