Stebel Horn Tested: Passed with flying colors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel Horn Tested: Passed with flying colors

I installed a Stebel air horn under the left fairing on my 08 Versys a couple of weeks ago using pictures and instructions posted on the Versys Forum. Yesterday as I was commuting home from work, I was riding along getting close to home on a 4 lane city street. I was in the left lane (by the center line) when a sub compact caught up to me from behind but in the right lane and going the same direction. I was never in the blind spot. The car caught up and was right beside me and the driver (30 something female) began "sharing" the lane with me and was working her way over to either hit me or force me into the oncoming lane. When I noticed this taking place, I tested my new air horn with a 5 second blast. Suddenly she awoke from her coma and went back into her own lane. I noticed a very irritated look on her face. I resisted the urge to communicate with her using sign language and just kept an eye on her. Her male passenger just shook his head. Words can't express how much I like this horn. It can even be heard on the freeway by drivers with windows up. Along with extra brake lights and a brake light modulator, the horn is a great safety feature. I highly recommend it. I tap the horn button every once in a while in traffic just to test it and everyone around notices. It's a very satisfying feeling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Here is mine- Compact Italy made same as Stebel air horn.

one tap and I am heard and seen.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Mine saved me from either a fatal or potentially dangerous situations numerous times in about a month of use.
Very, very useful thing you can add to the bike.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I put the Stebel Nautilus onto my KLR, and liked it so much that I installed a "Wolo Bad Boy" from Harbor Freight Tools for $39.99 (looks and SOUNDS identical!) onto my Versys after some listers confirmed that it sounds the same as the Stebel.
Yesterday I installed another "Wolo Bad Boy" into my wife's Nissan Maxima and my Mazda Protege5, so now ALL our vehicles can really get someone's attention!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I think I will put them on my Grand Cherokee and my Corvette too. They are so small, there is room for them even in today's busy engine compartments. Great horn. Stock ones are so useless I had pretty much stopped using one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Sounds like a good idea.....Is installation of the Wolo Bad Boy as easy as disconnecting/removing the stock horn and wiring the original wires to the Wolo Bad Boy?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Sounds like a good idea.....Is installation of the Wolo Bad Boy as easy as disconnecting/removing the stock horn and wiring the original wires to the Wolo Bad Boy?
In a car or truck - YES. But they come with a relay for use when you put them into a motorcycle.
In both cars, because the stock horn is grounded through the mounting bolt, I made up an about 6" wire with female spade connection at one end (to go onto the horn's "- terminal") and circle-type at the other, and attached it via the mounting bolts. Because I had to remove a grill on the Mazda it probably took an hour.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Yup it has helped me in a couple of situations when I had to wake up some ZBWs (Zombie Behind Wheel).

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm glad your horn worked but I have to wonder why you were in the left lane if you were going slower than other traffic. Maybe you were aproaching a left turn or something but otherwise it seems like you should have been in the right lane and not allowing people to pass you on the right.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM

I installed my stebel last night, am looking forward to the responces from the cages when they hear it as they try to move me

Last edited by chwhnd; 06-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
I'm glad your horn worked but I have to wonder why you were in the left lane if you were going slower than other traffic. Maybe you were aproaching a left turn or something but otherwise it seems like you should have been in the right lane and not allowing people to pass you on the right.
I'm one of the strongest proponents of "keep right except to pass". How vet, I have never applied that philosophy to a standard 4-lane city surface street. Which is what sounds like to OP was riding on.

'09 Versys
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I'm one of the strongest proponents of "keep right except to pass". How vet, I have never applied that philosophy to a standard 4-lane city surface street. Which is what sounds like to OP was riding on.
I ride the same way, never in a blind spot and only in left lane to pass or to take the next left turn, my issue comes into play with people on there phones, they simply don't look and I notice them hours before they me, with this horn it will be nice to shock them back to paying attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode