Track Day - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Track Day

I took my Versys to the track in Summit Point WV(near Charlestown) Sunday. It was a very technical course with 21 turns.
Link to the track map: http://motorcyclexcitement.com/static/trackmap-shen
I was in the beginners group. Each group rode for 15min on the track every hour. Top speed 95mph and I was getting passed by all the sports bikes.

I had a great time. Hope to do it again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0314.jpg (75.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 0606.jpg (72.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 0747.jpg (71.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 0924.jpg (75.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 0930.jpg (104.0 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Very cool, looks like fun!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM

Cool pics and great share. Pretty soon you'll be dragging knee. I miss the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrackDay8-13zzi.jpg (95.0 KB, 85 views)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Good seein' that V out on the track, mixin' it up,.....thanks for the post

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbert View Post
I took my Versys to the track in Summit Point WV(near Charlestown) Sunday. It was a very technical course with 21 turns.
Link to the track map: http://motorcyclexcitement.com/static/trackmap-shen
I was in the beginners group. Each group rode for 15min on the track every hour. Top speed 95mph and I was getting passed by all the sports bikes.

Thanks for the pic's . I have not been to summit in years . Back in the day it was called slippery point .I still have an elbow that reminds me of summit every day broke it in a turn9 crash .lol
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Way cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM

That looks like a track that would be a lot of fun on the Versys. Great pics!

Gustavo

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

well done on the TD, track looks perfect for the V
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I just bought a GSX-R600 trackbike from a friend, since I ride the V everyday I didn't want to screw it up on the track.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I just bought a GSX-R600 trackbike from a friend, since I ride the V everyday I didn't want to screw it up on the track.
QUOTE:I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now she says I can't have two! Sounds like a challenge to me!
@sharrison56, So now you have three! Way to step up to the challenge man! Let's see the GSXr please!

@Turn8,
Why isn't your name Turn9?

@tebbert, Nice pics, looks like a blast. The sportbikes just have too much punch for the V to match on the straights IMHO.

My Album:
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Only two. This was the second one I was talking about...

I might pickup something more dirt oriented over the winter

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I commute on my V daily(weather permitting). I've been talking it up with the wife about buying a bike just for the track.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post

@Turn8,
Why isn't your name Turn9?
Back in the late 80's early 90's I use to go to laguna seca and watch the 500 gp bike races and sit and drink beer at turn8 and 8a the cork screw. man I miss the 500 2 strokes.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Do it! It is much safer to ride fast on the track and then just take it easy on public roads! This is something I have wanted to do for so long and now I really get to do it. My wife (that hates motorcycles) gave me a Skip Barber Superbike School at Lagune Seca for my birthday. That is scheduled for mid September. Do you think she is after the insurance money?

Steve

Now I have four!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I commute on my V daily(weather permitting). I've been talking it up with the wife about buying a bike just for the track.
Here you go fzr400.... Corey Rech won many races at summit point on this bike !

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=263066
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM

You definitely want to start with a used track bike that someone else has already spent the money to prep. It cost a fortune to setup a new bike "properly" for the track. The one I bought is ready for AMA or WERA tech inspection. Don't think I am quite to the racing stage, but great to know that I could.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I took my Versys to the track in Summit Point WV(near Charlestown) Sunday. I was in the beginners group. Each group rode for 15min on the track every hour. Top speed 95mph and I was getting passed by all the sports bikes.

I saw a YouTube video today of a guy hitting a deer on a track day and from what I could get from the comments it looks like it happened at Summit Point.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM

It is amazing how good the V is on tight technical roads! I was behind a buddy on a ZX-10 on the Dragon (Deal's Gap) that has been riding for years and he had nothing I couldn't keep up with until we hit those few straight sections. Then it was like I was standing still, but I could catch back up in the tight stuff and I am not that fast...still learning!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I saw a YouTube video today of a guy hitting a deer on a track day and from what I could get from the comments it looks like it happened at Summit Point.
OMG!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
OMG!
My EXACT reaction. That was terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode