Caribou Luggage? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Caribou Luggage?

Sometime in the future I want to get a set of hard luggage. Kawi/Givi set are nice but its a lot of money. If I'm going to spend that kind of coin I'd like something really durable and functional. The Pelican cases although not all that pretty seem to be the ticket. I been a fan of Pelican cases for years.

Searching I found two that make a full side luggage system. Twisted Throttle and Caribou. The Caribou is a bit more money but the rack seems better designed and rugged.

My question is does anyone have either of these systems? What size do you have and how do you like them?

I hope to do more touring in the future now that I have a bike capable.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:01 PM

They are great! Easy to load and I don't think I could break them. That is saying alot.
I have 35L bags. Will not fit a full face but everything else fits.
I like the way they look on the bike.
Speak with Roger at Caribou. He will hook you up with what you need.
Here is a pic of V with Caribou.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badluck at Marina.jpg (413.1 KB, 395 views)

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-10-2010 at 04:14 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM

I have been looking at the Caribou as well - but I want one that will fit a full face helmet. Do you think the 40L would work?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM

I agree. I really like the pelican cases.
Not sure which racks to get tho with my bobbed fender. I'm thinking I will need to fab a new cross brace for any of them, leaning toward the sw motechs. I really like the package TT has, the fastening system is outstanding. I'm sure Carabous are too, I thought they were a lot more money for not much difference. Maybe I need to look closer.
I think the HT racks are too wide. The others seem to tuck in tighter, that's important to me. I don't want real wide cases anyway, cutting traffic is a way of life here in socal.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Thumper-- I love the looks of your Caribou cases. Did you get the complete set, rack and cases from Caribou? If not, which rack do you have?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 AM

I bought the luggage from Roger at Caribou and Givi racks from Twisted Throttle. Monkey is you go with Givi and you have to get an adapter if you don't buy the trunk mount. Pretty easy to install and Roger is very helpful setting you up with what you need. Just tell him which bike your putting it on.
Explore the different mounting systems before buying. I am happy with the Givi.

As far as width goes, just about all the bags I have seen on the V are wide. However, I pull my bike into my garage between a truck and toyota that have only about 4ft between them. No problem. I was worried about the width also but you don't notice it once they are on the bike.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either TT or Caribou, but to me it looks like the Caribou had a stronger mounting system. I really am convinced the Pelican cases are the way to go if you looking for function over flash..Also to get the same feature on the TT as the Caribou you need to buy the Luxury Cases so you probably close to the same price.

Last edited by offcamber; 08-11-2010 at 07:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Roger at Caribou uses the Hepco & Becker side rack system. You can get the Twisted Throttle rack and still use his Pelican cases. Caribou's have nice locks installed. If you sort through the Caribou site, you can find many options in terms of how to mount and secure cases, sometimes without the necessity of buying a full system, to suit your particular situation.

If you have the SW Motech top rack, you can also use Motech side racks and they integrate pretty nicely, although the quick disconnect system seems a little wimbly to me. The H&B racks seem a little more permanent, but not as graceful (if that really matters).

I like the Pelicans because they're stout for Hell and cheap to replace. I've looked at Givi's and never really got past the fact they appear to be relatively fragile.

Caribou also has a nice, smaller (pelican style) top case (34L) made by B&W that fits one, any size, full face helmet, and can easily mount on a Motech (and any other) top rack. I need that space, but prefer to carry most of my load in lower, side cases.

Roger will do a matching key top and side set of these cases.

V-Zee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode