Protecting your V from thieves. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Protecting your V from thieves.

Is there anyway that you can prevent your V from being stolen? If so what are some ways that people are doing so! Does one need to be paranoid every time the get off it,that someone would help themselves to your pride and joy and steal it. At home I would be keeping it in a locked shed,but what about going to the store or local coffee shop. I have heard of alarms,chains,do these help when your out?
I am interested in hearing from others. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have one of the brake locks. use it if i'm not sure of the area. if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it but its not something i worry about.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 AM

I carry a Kryptonite U-Lock that fits thru the front disk brake and a heavy 6 ft x 15mm flex cable. I use the two in a variety of configurations as needed:

(1) U-lock thru the front disks to keep bike from "rolling away"

(2) U-lock thru the front disk, flex cable thru rear tire to the u-lock to really make sure the bike doesn't "roll away".

(3) U-lock thru the front disk or rear wheel spokes and flex cable to a fixed object.

I used (2) and (3) during my cross county trip, without any problems (picture below was in Texas at a I-10 motel). I thinking of getting a Xena alarm lock so that I have the alarm option too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0459.jpg (902.1 KB, 185 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Lock the steering and hope for the best. Unless you anchor it to the ground somehow it could be in a van/truck and gone in seconds.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM

I was worried about the same thing. You can get disc locks, chain locks, and some type of monitoring device like Lo-Jack.

With disc locks, you can get some that are high quality, have sensor alarms, and are lightweight. Downside others have said is when you forget to take it off you'll get a suprise.

With chain locks you can get pretty much the same thing. The problem with some of them is that they are heavy and you might not always have a place to chain the bike to.

Monitoring devices are nice, might lower you insurance, and will contact you via email/phone if your bike is moved or stolen. Some charge additional monthly fees, some work with police, some don't (check with your Police dept.)

Like Weljo said, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. Carry insurance, have your farkles covered by insurance also. Lock the forks, park in safer areas if possible, etc. Most people don't think our bike is that valuable. Others have recommended parking next to BMW's or Harleys as another form of safety.

I purchased the Xena Disc Lock XX-14 after seeing recommendations on here. You get a 20% discount if you are an AMA member. The lock was shipped and arrived in 2 days and I am quite pleased with it.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bill_milstead; 08-08-2010 at 10:21 AM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Locks are intended to keep honest people honest.

If dishonest people want your stuff, they will figure out how to get it.

Buy insurance against theft, lock your forks, and......

Don't Worry.....Be Happy!

Because you're paranoid, doesn't mean there aren't people out to get you, but if you allow worry to rule, you be a constantly unhappy person, and they will have won.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Agree...Don't worry be happy!!!

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Locks are intended to keep honest people honest.

If dishonest people want your stuff, they will figure out how to get it.

Buy insurance against theft, lock your forks, and......

Don't Worry.....Be Happy!
+10

However, I still carry my Kryptonite U-Lock. If it's parked for any length of time (like at work), I'll run the u-lock by locking the rear wheel spoke to the left side swing arm. I also always use the steering lock, even when in my garage. I also use a cover when it sits in a parking lot for more than an hour or two.

I figure if my bike's gonna get stolen it'll be from work. It's parked in the parking lot 6 days a week for 8-10 hours at a time. The lot is right off a busy street too which means potential thieves may see it all the time and know when it'll be there.

Worst case scenario is I pay $500 insurance deductible and get replacement value plus value of my accessories to get a new one. While I truly love my V and would be saddened if it was stolen...it is still just a piece of property and nothing that can't be replaced.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 PM

my experience

after having a bike stolen from inside a locked van in the parking lot of my building no more than 20 ft from my open window, i became paranoid with any further bike purchases.

I installed a gorilla 2 alarm on my v which has a remote pager. the pager tells if it's a major or minor movement of the bike and sits on my nightstand.....if nothing else, I sleep better. Of course theft insurance is always a good idea as well
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I honestly don't worry about mine. It stays outside in the parking lot at my apartment complex in houston. It also stays parked outside at work right next to the projects in houston for up to 14 hours a day.

Although people are generally there at my work, but there are usually a few hours where everyone has left and my bike is the only thing sitting there. (I'm a truck driver so I'm gone too). If I have to work on a saturday or sunday when nobody is there all day then I lock it up inside a storage container.

Never had a problem parking it outside at a hotel but only have done that once.

I think true bike thieves know what they are stealing and the versys isn't really on their radar yet.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
+10

Worst case scenario is I pay $500 insurance deductible and get replacement value plus value of my accessories to get a new one.
Why not lower your deductible to 250? Usually it's just an extra couple dollars a month. I also keep a 250 deductible on my wife's car. It's worth a call to your insurance company to see how much more it would be to lower it.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Keep 'em wondering

You might try a couple of these in a conspicuous place. Keep them wondering.

Available here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmithandWesson.jpg (103.7 KB, 167 views)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 08-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You might try a couple of these in a conspicuous place. Keep them wondering.

Available here.
I have a friend who keeps an empty holster on his bike. Never know when the owner is coming back and if he is armed!
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:07 PM

2 words: spy 5000 (well.... "5000" isn't quite a word but... bare with me)

Last edited by Dust_; 08-08-2010 at 01:11 PM.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM

My 2007 Ninja ZX-6R was stolen from the same spot that my Versys now sits in. Here in D.C. the only thing being stolen really is 600cc and 1000cc sportbikes. I don't worry about it, it's just not the kind of bike that gets targeted by thieves.

Mike
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Let me say that I fortunately live in an area where I don't have the perception of high risk. I've never had a bike stolen, but have had three cars taken when I lived back east, so I know the feeling and I know the grief of having to deal with the police, insurance companies and so forth.

I do sympathize with anyone who loves to ride, but is stuck in an area where theft is more prevalent. In those cases I certainly would also use extra means to secure some peace of mind if I had them. Keep in mind that these bikes weigh less than 500# in most cases and outside of chaining them to the ground, determined thieves have the numbers to lift them into a truck and drive away, dealing with locks and such later on.

I guess my psyche simply doesn't allow me to get real wrapped up in material things (old hippie habit), so I guess I'd only hope everyone could be as free of insecure thoughts as me can so you can enjoy your bike and traveling as much I do.

V-Zee
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I have a friend who keeps an empty holster on his bike. Never know when the owner is coming back and if he is armed!
What model of gun is the holster designed for?????

Well, someone might need a holster..............
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Keep in mind that these bikes weigh less than 500# in most cases and outside of chaining them to the ground, determined thieves have the numbers to lift them into a truck and drive away, dealing with locks and such later on.

V-Zee

Good point. I weighed my bike on a scale with a duffel bag and more than half tank of fuel and it weighed in at 460 lbs. Probably why I never bothered with a u-lock around the wheels.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM

I put in a Black Widow car alarm. Got it real cheap and it fit under the seat. There is the motion alarm and a trigger alarm for the seat. At night it's in the garage and well I work at a prison so nobody is going to steal it there.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I remember a thread similar to this awhile back. And if memory serves, I believe the general agreement was, the Versys is too ugly, no one would steal it, so why worry...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode