Is the gel seat worth it?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Is the gel seat worth it??

I noticed Kawi sells a Gel seat for the V but the price tag is ridiculous....does anyone have one? is it worth the price?? Is the Corbin a better option. I wouldn't mind a lower seat...maybe an inch. I don't want to go with a pad on the seat as that will make it even taller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Yes! they are worth it. Now please buy mine! $300 shipped.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

I had bought one when i bought my V and thoght the stock seat was better so sold it within a month.I want to get a baldwin when i have the extra money.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
The Baldwin looks nicer anyway....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

I recently swapped my seat for a low gel seat and I absolutely love it! I had to lower my pegs though for it to be really comfortable, because you do get quite a bit lower down. A completely different feel to ride the V now - feels safer and way more comfortable. I'm 5'11".

I also think it looks great.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM

If you're on your tippy-toes at stop signs (like me - 5'10", 30 inch inseam) then the low seat is definitely worth it. Now, I've put a pad on top of it to raise me back up about an inch - the seating position is now perfect for me. After a few months, if you feel confident, go back to the stock seat and sell the low seat on here.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Low gel seat

I'm 5'5" and like the low seat better than the stocker. Also added Lefty's lowering link. Just went on a 1200 mile trip through the Canadian Rockies and was quite comfortable, even on 300 mile plus days. With these mods the bike still handles great. My son went with me and rode my FZ6. We switched bikes several times. He loved the V, but absolutely hated the low gel seat. He likened it to sitting on a paint can that had no lid. Based on the number I've seen for resale, I think a lot of people who have bought them wish they hadn't.
They are very hard and do not permit any forward/backward motion. You are really locked into one position. If there really is a gel layer, it's so thin that you don't know it's there. You feel like you're sitting on a shaped brick. If the shape fits the contour of your butt you will probably like it. If not, it's a complete waste of money. I added an Alaskan Leather sheepskin for $60 that helps a bit. If you are short and have a tough time balancing the bike at stops, like me, I suggest you buy one of the used seats available through this forum. If you're tall enough for the stocker and just want a seat that doesn't slide you forward and is more comfortable, I'd try a Baldwin, Corbin, etc., or have an upholstery shop cut some foam out of the rear part of the front section.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM

You might check with Loren at Baldwin to see if he could make you a custom lower seat.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I have a 29" inseam. Needed to lower my 09 V by around 4". Speedy's lowering kit brought it down about 1 3/4". The Gel Seat gave another 1 3/4" (not the 2" advertized by Kawa). I got another half inch or so by setting front and back springs to the softest preload.

I like the Gel Seat. I can ride for 2-3 hours without feeling my butt is burning off. I also suspect you could have the "right" person modify your stock seat to achieve whatever objective you might have (lower seat, comfortable seat, etc), but I'm happy with mine, as is.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm 5'7" with 31" inseam and I really like mine, got it off ebay for $300. I went from standing on balls of my feet to just about flat footed, really helped when stopping on uneven ground. It also was a big help with the reverse wedgy issue, my eyes no longer bulge after a 30min ride.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM

I have one and like it . The first ride my wife took on the seat (passenger )she commented how much more comfortable it was compared to the stock seat. So i guess I can't change it now. lol

Last edited by turn8a; 08-04-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Gel pad

$20.00 at wal mart will get you a large gel pad. They are in the auto dept. next to the car seat covers. I swap mine between my Yamaha Venture and Versys.
Cheap.... so give it a try Cb
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 AM

I bought the bike it so cant talk about the stock seat. However, at 5'7" I would probably not bought the bike with the standard seat. If I got it without it I would probably go with an aftermarket or custom seat.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM

5'7" w/ 30" inseam. Bought the gel seat a few weeks after delivery of the bike. A big difference for me at least. I went from tippy toe to almost the balls of my feet.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I bought the lower seat when I bought the bike as I couldn't flat foot it with the stock seat. Now it is easy to get my feet down when stopped, but I still needed a sheepskin pad to help with the monkey butt after 2+ hours in the saddle. Not sure about a Corbin or Baldwin seat, as this should do for the rest of the year at least!...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM

You can buy my Baldwin in my For Sale listing

Tony
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Ive got the Gell seat would`nt touch the floor otherwise, also went and splashed out on the ally suspension lowering point from the U.S. as I`m only 29" leg. Been to france from UK twice with only the normal seat jiffles and bum ache. Have since been in a show room and sat on a new Versys, and could not reach the floor, so you could say it was the Gel seat that sold it to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode